• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ranking the Batsmen

adharcric

International Coach
aussie tragic said:
Anwar to go.

Gilchrist: 85 tests, 5124 runs @ 48.80, 16 centuries (100 every 7.7 innings)
Anwar: 55 tests, 4052 runs @ 45.52, 11 centuries (100 every 8.3 innings)
Gilchrist has played in the "inflated" period, hasn't he? Sehwag and Yousuf are missing out for that reason.

aussie tragic

International Captain
adharcric said:
Gilchrist has played in the "inflated" period, hasn't he? Sehwag and Yousuf are missing out for that reason.
Besides stats, I read Sobers and Gilchrist are very similiar in that they never cared about their averages and would rather bat agressively for their team to win the game rather then batting out to a draw to save their wicket. For this reason alone (i.e. one of the highest SR in test cricket) he should be retained.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I'd say Anwar and Gilly are pretty much on par with each other, Anwar should go ahead for the reasons adharcic mentioned.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I think we've moved past it, but Trumper has to stay in. His average needs to be considered in the context of the era he played in (in which it was a very good albeit not staggering average) but also the opinion of everyone who saw him bat was that he was the best since Grace, if not better, and later people were grudging in acknowledging Hammond and Bradman as better.

adharcric

International Coach
Let's start the voting then. After a minimum of 15 votes, I'll call anyone with a majority of the votes (at least half of them) AND a lead of 5 or more the winner.
Otherwise, I'll wait until the 2-day period passes.
Please bold your choice and it won't hurt to provide your reasoning so that others can make an informed decision.

The vote for the #1 batsman of all-time begins now. This will be followed by the vote for the #2 batsman, #3 batsman and so on.

The Contenders

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
adharcric said:
Finally, some sense prevails
He's obviously a legend, just look at him today. Dropped twice because the fielders were terrified of him. Only got out due to that cheat Gul obviously scratching the ball to get reverse swing, and Akmal wanted to drop it too but the ball got stuck in his damn glove.

Dravid

International Captain
Don Bradman...just end this round and move straight onto the 2nd round seriously...there is no way Don is going to lose

aussie tragic

International Captain
Dravid said:
Don Bradman...just end this round and move straight onto the 2nd round seriously...there is no way Don is going to lose
I agree, I thought we would have started at # 2, but anyway Bradman because of 99.94

adharcric

International Coach
Vote - #2 Batsman of All-Time

Good idea, Bradman wins it as expected.

The vote for the #2 batsman of all-time begins now. Remember that this will run for a maximum of 3 days (changed from 2).

Last edited: