• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ranking the Batsmen

Nishant

International 12th Man
Bradman was a great batsman...but he didnt paly as much cricket as some international players do nowadays. Plus, as Silentstriker said, in those days, risk taking was a rare option!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hmm, I voted Viv before so technically I've gotta vote him again. Lara is tempting though, but I'll stick with Viv.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
silentstriker said:
No, not Bradman. He wasn't the most destructive batsman in history. Not really that many before the one-day age.

He might have been destructive for his time, but he played at a time where 2.5 runs per over was the norm in Test cricket.
Bradman scored at a strike rate of about 60-61 - better than the vast majority of batsmen today.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Dasa said:
Bradman scored at a strike rate of about 60-61 - better than the vast majority of batsmen today.
No doubt, I never said he was defensive. Gilly scores at a S/R of 82 though, and at a good average too.

But he wasn't the most destructive batsman in history. Meaning, if you had to pick the perfect player coming in at 7, you would pick him if that was the only way you could get him in the side, but you'd obviously want to bat him higher up.

adharcric

International Coach
Lara continues to wait his turn. Will it go on?

The List
1. Don Bradman
2. Garry Sobers
3. Jack Hobbs
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Viv Richards

The vote for the #6 batsman of all-time begins now.

The Contenders

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Can't see Weekes getting in any time soon. So i'll go Ponting, i think people are underestimating how great he is. An average of 58 is awsome. Lara might have played some great innings and Chappell stood up to some great bowlers, but Ponting is next in line after Weekes for me.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
Why is it confusing? Most people that are voting have been voting since the first round and whenever you start voting, you can choose the best of the remaining contenders.
The reason the voting is slow is because all of the votes came in the first 10-15 hours of the 2-day period. Expecting a Richards vote from you soon ... :cool:

There is no point in me voting in this. I would vote for Barry Richards next but he clearly isn't going to win so I would vote for him again for the next slot which he also won't win and so on until I've voted for him 20 times and he still won't have won. There is no point in my continually clogging up the thread with one vote for Barry Richards.