• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ranking the Bowlers

oz_fan

International Regular
1. Shane Warne
For me it was a choice between Warne, McGrath and Marshall. I went with Warne because he is the leading wicket taker of all time, has been consistently great throughout his 14 year test career, has an incredible bowling average and strike rate for a spin bowler and is capable of devastating great batting attacks. He is always asking questions of batsmen and can also be credited with reviving legspin.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1. Shane Warne

Like oz_fan said, he is the leading wicket taker of all time and can do magical things with the ball. He is a great cricketer and has a mind fit for the task when he steps over the boundary rope.

Slifer

International Captain
Malcolm Marshall

The only bowler who I can think of with a completely flawless record. Magnificient average of 20.94. Outstanding strike rate of 46 and an outstanding wicket per match ratio of 4.7 (esp. considering he had so much competition for wickets). The guy took a 5 for every 3.6 tests (22 in 81 tests) and again, considering his competition, this was just outstanding. His highest average against any test team was 22 against Australia and his overall average in the subcontinent was an outstanding 23.05 over 19 tests and thats without playing against Sri Lanka (the minnows of his time). What this shows was that Marshall was a man of all conditions and performed well (quite an understatement) against all comers. He took around 63% of top order wickets and I dont think I need to mention again the kind of competition he had for the new ball. For me, Marshall certainly stands heads and shoulders above any other West Indian bowler and there are literally only a handful of other bowlers who I can compare to him.

PS If someone was to go with Mcgrath I wouldnt argue with that person, he too has quite an outstanding record and really it's a toss up between him and Marshall (and Hadlee) for the greatest bowler of all time.

bagapath

International Captain
1. Malcolm Marshall

awesome record against all teams in all conditions. always remained the bowler the best batsmen in the opposition feared. excellent strike rate, average and wk/test ratio. good economy rate too. took lots of five-fers. delivered something special whenever team needed it. great style. could bowl at will swing, cut, yorkers and bouncers. and at a frightening pace. a champion. the best.

adharcric

International Coach
Malcolm Marshall

Phenomenal average and strike-rate; pace, swing and cut; genuine strike bowler who performed everywhere against every opposition on a consistent basis.
I also considered McGrath and Muralitharan. Perhaps Lohmann and Barnes as well.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Marshall - brilliant, as are all the other candidates, but also can't really be faulted on anything in his record.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Marshal for me.

Incidently, I'm surprised Sarfaraz Nawaz didn't make it to the list at all.

adharcric

International Coach
Fusion said:
Incidently, I'm surprised Sarfaraz Nawaz didn't make it to the list at all.
Sorry about that. I did ask people for suggestions and no one pointed it out. If he made it, it would be in place of Ramadhin probably. Tough one.

adharcric

International Coach
Vote - #2 Bowler of All-Time

Malcolm Marshall seals it with 8 votes early on.

The List
1. Malcolm Marshall

The vote for the #2 bowler of all-time begins now.

The Contenders