• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ranking the Bowlers

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Why Lohmann? I understand that he has the best average ever, but there's a huge number of bowlers from that era with comparable records that would never get a second mention.

And besides, I can't see people voting Herbert Sutcliffe into the top 10 batsmen of all time, even though his record is pretty much the best there is after Bradman.

adharcric

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Why Lohmann? I understand that he has the best average ever, but there's a huge number of bowlers from that era with comparable records that would never get a second mention.

And besides, I can't see people voting Herbert Sutcliffe into the top 10 batsmen of all time, even though his record is pretty much the best there is after Bradman.
Well he's one of the few bowlers ever to average 6+ wickets a game, along with Barnes, Muralitharan and maybe a few others. Was he not that great?
As for Barnes, why is he considered so great? Just asking out of curiosity - I'm not very informed about cricket legends from the early times.

Matt79

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:

Even including the many bowlers from that era, he has the lowest average of any bowler to take 50 wickets by at least 5 runs IIRC. So even by the standards of his day, his average was phenomenal.

And by all the accounts I've read from good players of the day, he appeared to them to be that much better than his rivals as well.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
Well he's one of the few bowlers ever to average 6+ wickets a game, along with Barnes, Muralitharan and maybe a few others. Was he not that great?
As for Barnes, why is he considered so great? Just asking out of curiosity - I'm rather ignorant on cricket legends from the early times.
Well, Barnes played in a later era, and was genuinely considered head and shoulders above the other bowlers of his time. I think Barnes is a little overrated though, his record is merely very good rather than unbelievable if you take out the 83 wickets @ 9.86 he took against South Africa. His worst ever match haul against South Africa was 8 wickets, and he averaged almost 12 per match against them, including 17 in one test.

Against Australia he took a bit over 5 wickets per match at an average of 21.58, which obviously isn't as amazing. One key element in his reptuation though is that Barnes consistently had the best of great batsmen like Trumper, Hill and Macartney. Indeed, I think his 13 dismissals of Trumper was a record for a fair while in terms of a bowler dismissing a particular batsman goes.

Lohmann on the other hand didn't have any success against any particularly renowned batsmen, mainly because Australia simply didn't have any legendary batsmen (by today's standards) at that time, and his record isn't all that incredible compared to his contemporaries. Look at the bowlers he bowled with in the late 1880s for instance. John Briggs took 118 wickets @ 17.75, Bill Barnes took 51 wickets @ 15.55, Bill Bates took 50 wickets @ 16.42, Bob Peel took 101 wickets @ 16.98, and even the less successful bowlers averaged 20 odd.

In Barnes' era, though bowling averages were still very low, the only notable bowler I know of that he ever bowled with that had a teens average was Colin Blythe, and a lot of the bowlers that Barnes played with averaged in the high 20s or low 30s if they weren't particularly good, unlike 15-20 years earlier. While the average of 21 against Australia isn't particularly incredible, his overall record certainly is, and he also held the overall test wicket taking record for over 20 years. There's other reasons why he is famous too, which are about his reputation and his innovations in bowling and ability to bowl a remarkable range of styles. Lohmann was certainly recognised as very good, but I don't think his reputation really compares to Barnes'.

Matt79

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiod said:
Lohmann on the other hand didn't have any success against any particularly renowned batsmen, mainly because Australia simply didn't have any legendary batsmen (by today's standards) at that time, and his record isn't all that incredible compared to his contemporaries. Look at the bowlers he bowled with in the late 1880s for instance. John Briggs took 118 wickets @ 17.75, Bill Barnes took 51 wickets @ 15.55, Bill Bates took 50 wickets @ 16.42, Bob Peel took 101 wickets @ 16.98, and even the less successful bowlers averaged 20 odd.
Those averages of 15 and over are still a fair way removed from Lohmann's average of 10

Matt79

Global Moderator
adharcric said:
As for Barnes, why is he considered so great? Just asking out of curiosity - I'm not very informed about cricket legends from the early times.
You voted for Barnes, then admit you don't know anything about him?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Matt79 said:
Even including the many bowlers from that era, he has the lowest average of any bowler to take 50 wickets by at least 5 runs IIRC. So even by the standards of his day, his average was phenomenal.

And by all the accounts I've read from good players of the day, he appeared to them to be that much better than his rivals as well.
That stat was lowest average of any bowler to take 100 wickets by at least 5 runs, not 50 wickets.

adharcric

International Coach
Matt79 said:
You voted for Barnes, then admit you don't know anything about him?
Is that how you would interpret "not very informed"?
My knowledge of these guys is limited to Cricinfo, statistics, a few CW posters and the slightest bit of research - not extensive but enough to realize that they're all-time greats. :)
Stop trying so hard to get another vote for Warne. :p

a massive zebra

International Captain
Matt79 said:
Those averages of 15 and over are still a fair way removed from Lohmann's average of 10
Exactly, its like one bowler averaging 20 and all the others averaging 30 plus. Lohmann was considered the Surrey cricketer in the silver age of Surrey cricket, and certainly among the top 3 English bowlers in the pre war period of Test cricket.

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
Freddie Trueman (again)

btw, how come it's so hard for an Aussie to get one of the greatest pommie players ever into this group; where's the Barmy army when you need them :)

adharcric

International Coach
Warne 8, Barnes 3, Trueman 3. Warne finally makes his way into the list at #6.

The List
1. Malcolm Marshall
2. Muttiah Muralitharan
3. Glenn McGrath
4. Curtly Ambrose
5. Richard Hadlee
6. Shane Warne

The vote for the #7 bowler of all-time begins now.

The Contenders