• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lara's future

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why is it that recently everytime Lara gets on a roll and seems ready to finally fulfil his true brilliant potential, he gets injured? Is it just me or do you all think that sucks. I love watching him bat and he's sick again. DO you guys think he'll be able to come back and be the brilliant Lara that he was in Sri Lanka???

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Lara is finished...

I just don't think he will be able to produce the skills and the scores that got him his name...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Lara is a classy player. The problem is fitness. Just a year ago he played one of the finest tours ever played on the subcontinent. Nearly 700 runs and 3 centuries with a double and single in the same game.

Besides, he was finally looking to have returned to form against NZ earlier this year. Although he didnt get a hundred he still looked alot better and timed the ball a lot better.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Im not saying he can't score Hundreds, But when u get older injuries become more frequent and he has been injury prone for a while so those little niggles are only gonna become more regular....

Its a shame cause with him in the side the Windies are capable of challenging anyone....

wasims_fan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
i think laras future is over he always struggle to score runs. I think hes only in the team because of his previous good records.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Your forgetting what this guy did in Sri Lankia and that his last innings was a century despite it being against lowly opposition it was still a century in the blazing heat whilst suffering from Hepititis. He nearly was finished before he toured England and I wish he had been in better form but it was a crap series for batsmen anyway. He is still one of the best batsmen in the world and deserves his place in the team as much for his ability as his previous record.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Lara is the best batsman that WI have...his place in the team is guaranteed by not only his past performance but by his abilities as well.If he is fit, he is an automatic choice just like Sachin is in the Indian team.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Well said. Lara is one of the most talented batsmen ever and in Sri Lanka he was starting to finally fulfil his potential.

(Kind of funny that he averages almost 50 and yet hasnt fulfiled his potential)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by wasims_fan
i think laras future is over he always struggle to score runs. I think hes only in the team because of his previous good records.
Anyone spot the irony of Wasims fan saying Lara's career is over?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
It also depends on how quickly he recovers from his recent illness. Hepatitis B(if that's what he has) is pretty serious and is quite often fatal. It will take time for him to recover and he isn't getting any younger. He still might come back to play for the Windies, but my guess is that we won't see him at his majestic best again. I wouldn't mind being proved wrong on this because I am a big admirer.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'm a big admirer of his batting as he showed for the Bears back in '94, but not his attitude in that season.

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
Make no mistake...Lara will come back, but it will take a long time before he regains the amazing touch that puts him argueably in parallel with the likes of Sachin Tendulkar, Andy Flower...etc.

The important thing is that he must come back with a positive mindset if he is to really shine again, mind you, on his day he can shine blindingly, absoulotely took Muralitharan apart when in Sri Lanka...And in the case of Lara it only takes a few shots off the middle of the bat in his opening match of any series and he's off.
Good luck to him.