• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which is more difficult to bowl - pace or spin?

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:
I am not so sure about that. Obviously, at the international level, you can't stray too far...but compared to the spinners the pacemen usually aren't as accurate ball after ball and tend to get away with it. Pacers like McGrath are the obvious exceptions, and you know how well they do because of that.
I see what you're saying. At lower levels, pace will let you get away with poor line and length. The higher up you go, the less it will matter.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
adharcric said:
I see what you're saying. At lower levels, pace will let you get away with poor line and length. The higher up you go, the less it will matter.
I would think the higher up you go the more it matters what line and length you're bowling. :p

I agree with SS on this, spin is harder to learn and bowl. I actually started out as an off spinner, but was always getting smashed all over the park rarely picking up wickets. As a pacer (RMF) I was able to pick up a lot more wickets. Sometimes even if they go after your bad deliveries at the lower level they will be beaten by pace and you'll get wicket anyway.

adharcric

International Coach
nightprowler10 said:
I would think the higher up you go the more it matters what line and length you're bowling. :p

I agree with SS on this, spin is harder to learn and bowl. I actually started out as an off spinner, but was always getting smashed all over the park rarely picking up wickets. As a pacer (RMF) I was able to pick up a lot more wickets. Sometimes even if they go after your bad deliveries at the lower level they will be beaten by pace and you'll get wicket anyway.
The "less" referred to extra pace, not line and length. :)

andmark

International Captain
adharcric said:
In your opinion, is it more difficult to bowl pace or spin? Within spin, how would you compare leg-break and off-break?

Take into consideration wicket-taking difficulty, work required in the action, line and length, ability to get into rhythm quickly, the mental aspect, stamina, natural ability, how far you can get through pure practice and anything else you can think of.

Let's get some discussion going here. :happy:
Im a spinner Leg spin is the harder spin no doubt.