• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Last Ball Six, Who Do You Turn To?

Eclipse

International Debutant
PhoenixFire said:
Well at the moment, it has to be either SRT or Pietersen for me

All time, Gilchrist, Richards or Brian Lara, when they're in form.
Tendulkar?

what on current form makes you say that.. I would give him a big chance yes but there are plenty that are clearly more likely. Of the current great batsman I would say both Ponting and Lara have show a far greater ability to hit out in the last 10 overs.

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
Depends on who is the bowler - very few last ball sixes to my memory :

Wayne Daniel in a WSC Game in 1978

Javed Miandad in Sharjah 1986

anyone else ????

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
SJS said:
With India needing 24 runs to avoid the follow on, the last man Hirwani (who cant bat to save his life) came in and had to stand at the non-striker's end for the four balls of the over which was being bowled.

Kapil, the batsman at the other end, hit each of the four deliveries for six. The follow on was saved and Hirwani was promptly out to the first ball of the next over !!

There can be few instances of a better hitting of sixes when most needed.

Kapil also bowled a maiden over (last of the innings) or gave just one run in the last over of a county limited overs game to win the match by one run. Again one of the most remarkable tight last overs in first class cricket.
Gotta love the Dev.

But you expect nothing else from a man who looks remarkably like Freddy Mercury. All in a day's work.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Eclipse said:
Tendulkar?

what on current form makes you say that.. I would give him a big chance yes but there are plenty that are clearly more likely. Of the current great batsman I would say both Ponting and Lara have show a far greater ability to hit out in the last 10 overs.
When Tendulkar is set, even at his age and current form, he can hit sixes effortlessly. Beauty about them is they're generally classical lofted cricket strokes. Look at the ease he was hitting 6s in this knock in the death:

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/dlfcup/engine/match/256607.html

I'd take Tendulkar over Lara to hit a six off the last ball probably, I reckon Sachin's a little better at the death of ODIs. Granted you'd probably go Razzaq, Symonds, Pietersen, Hussey etc. over him, and probably Ponting too, but Sachin is far from a silly choice. What he lacks over some of the other contenders is brute force, but he makes up for it in timing.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Jono said:
When Tendulkar is set, even at his age and current form, he can hit sixes effortlessly. Beauty about them is they're generally classical lofted cricket strokes. Look at the ease he was hitting 6s in this knock in the death:

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/dlfcup/engine/match/256607.html

I'd take Tendulkar over Lara to hit a six off the last ball probably, I reckon Sachin's a little better at the death of ODIs. Granted you'd probably go Razzaq, Symonds, Pietersen, Hussey etc. over him, and probably Ponting too, but Sachin is far from a silly choice. What he lacks over some of the other contenders is brute force, but he makes up for it in timing.
No I agree with that, It's just that the way he said it was as though it was clearly Tendulkar and Pietersen, as great as Tendulkar is he isn't the FIRST name or even top five imo that would come to mind for hitting the last ball for six.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Eclipse said:
No I agree with that, It's just that the way he said it was as though it was clearly Tendulkar and Pietersen, as great as Tendulkar is he isn't the FIRST name or even top five imo that would come to mind for hitting the last ball for six.
Yeah true, you'd definitely think of the bigger guys first, as I did in my first post in this thread. Its a huge asset when it comes to having to hit a six off one ball, because even a mis-timed shot could carry due to their strength.

whitedazzler

School Boy/Girl Captain
how bout in a test match?

all fielders on the boundary and the bowler (if he was fast) being able to do bouncers? then who would you back?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Depends on who the bowler is.

If it's a spinner, I turn to Lara, no questions asked. If it's a seamer, I'd turn to Flintoff.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Xuhaib said:
If the bowler is Sajid Mahmood I may even back Chris Martin to hit a six.
If the bowler was Mike Atherton, I wouldn't back Chris Martin to even make contact. Mahmood is poor, but not that poor.