• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zahid

Xuhaib

International Coach
Yesterday i got the opportunity to meet Shoaib Mohammed (a former test cricketer) at a function in my university and I asked him a very common question "Who was the fastest bowler you ever faced?".Without any hesitation he said Zahid and then he narrated an incident to me from 96 when he had the opprotunity to face Wasim, Waqar, Shoaib and Zahid all at the same time while batting in the nets, all 4 of them were bowling with full run ups and Zahid looked considerably faster then the other 3 and is easily the fastest he has ever faced and we must know this guy has also faced quickies like Patterson, Bishop and Malcom.

Man its a pity the world did not get to see more of Zahid:mellow:

Last edited:

FRAZ

International Captain
I saw a bit of Garner in him ! A great loss for Pakistan . Mis - management and mis-handling of an injury !

Xuhaib

International Coach
Lolz...got more info on Zahid's serious pace, Mark Taylor after his famous 334 at Pindi

"Nevertheless, Taylor complimented Zahid and Akhtar by saying they were the fastest he has ever faced. ``Coming from 50 yards and bowling flat out, it was a matter of survival earlier in the innings. They are really quick, faster than I have faced anyone,''he said.

Edit: This Taylor interview is after Zahid's first major back operation many believe he was even faster before this operation though it was after the 2nd op he turned in to a medium pace trundler which really is a shame.

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've heard before how quick he was but with thing's like this it is all about perspective, you need cold hard facts to really make a proper judgement.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Perm said:
I've heard before how quick he was but with thing's like this it is all about perspective, you need cold hard facts to really make a proper judgement.
I know its difficult since during that time the speed guns were not a norm, but I know a guy who has tried calculating bowlar speeds through use of his own weird calculations and these are some of the figures he came up with:

• Zahid Yorker to Lara 163 Kmph
  • A Donalds Yorker against England in 95 at 157.3
  • That Yorker by Waqar to Lara 151.7
  • Thompson vs England 156.2
  • Holding vs Eng in 81 recorded ar 160.2

He admits these are just rough figures but they give you a general idea about the actual speed of the bowler since according to his sample study his figures has a degree of error of only 2-3 kmph (plus/minus).

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No offence to your friend but I don't really beleive he could come up with a semi accurate speed meter. I'd prefer to beleive the official speed guns even if there is a slight difference between different venues.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Yes he agrees his figures are not accurate but the degree of error is only 2-3 kmph (+/-) so you get a ballpark for the speed of a delivery.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I remember watching him back in 96-97 in the CU Series down in Australia. That series contained the likes of Bishop, Ambrose, Walsh, Waqar, Younis and Gillespie (at his fastest) and he was faster then all of them and by some distance too.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Xuhaib said:
Yes he agrees his figures are not accurate but the degree of error is only 2-3 kmph (+/-) so you get a ballpark for the speed of a delivery.
How does he come up with such an arbitrary degree of error though?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
How does he come up with such an arbitrary degree of error though?
I'd say he's probably compared his figures to the 'official' figures.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Dasa said:
I'd say he's probably compared his figures to the 'official' figures.
Yups, first he compiled recordings on those deliverey's that have been offically recorded and then made a comparison between his timings and the offical timings shown on the telly.

shortpitched713

International Captain
SS was never really much of a math guy.

As far as Zahid goes, I think we've got to just get over him. We've got some good pace talent in Pakistan, if only we look hard enough.

Xuhaib

International Coach
shortpitched713 said:
SS was never really much of a math guy.

As far as Zahid goes, I think we've got to just get over him. We've got some good pace talent in Pakistan, if only we look hard enough.
Like??