Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best bowling attack you can think of

C_C

Best bowling attack you can think of

Ok, this is a hypothetical one- mix and match, throw them all in i dont care but limit your list to 5 bowlers tops..

Mine would be as follows:

Malcolm Marshall : IMO, best fast bowler ever. Period. Deceptive pace, brilliant cricketing brain and allround effectivenes everywhere

Wasim Akram : Brilliant swing, versatality, pace that could floor anyone, king of variety. Capable of long spells as well as short bursts of dizzying pace.

Glenn McGrath : Though Hadlee would always be in the team ahead of Pidge, i think Pidge is a marginally better bowler at doing the same metronome game style. Need a metronome in there somewhere.

Muralitharan : Best spinner ever- potent on any surface, capable of marathon spells- its scary how good he might've been if he had good pacers to punch through the top order consistently.

Last bowler for me would depend on pitch conditions:

a) Normal to pacy/seaming pitches:

Michael Holding : Extreme pace and extreme hotility. Nobody did that better than Mikey. For an extreme speedster, he was surprisingly effective on dead track. There have been other greater bowlers than Mikey perhaps but nobody has turned in as many mindboggling spells of utter domination and aggresion as Mikey- his over to Boycott, his schooling of Closey, the terror in Sabina Park, the Old Trafford.

b) Rained on pitches:

Derek Underwood : Deadly Derek. Enough said on sticky wickets.

c) Flat batting paradise or crumbling pitches:

[b] Anil Kumble [./b] : The Krumbler is a monicker for a reason.

[b]
    So- this team has a metronome monster who'd irritate anyone, a bowler like Marshall who blends speed, aggresion, cunning and consistently better than anyone else in history, a magician like Akram and a spinner of the highest class. Not to mention, depending on circumstances, either a dizzyingly fast speed demon of the highest class , a true sticky wicket master or a master of the puff.
    I cant think of a better balanced attack than this:

Marshall - Akram - McGrath - Murali - Holding/Kumble/Underwood

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Marshall
    McGrath
    Akram
    Warne
    Murali

Beat that.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Banned
    Imran Khan
    Richard Hadlee
    Wasim Akram
    Muttiah Muralitharan
    Glenn McGrath/Shane Warne

Marshall, Lillee, Warne, Sobers, Akram/Underwood (the last one depends on the pitch. Deadly gets in if its a turner otherwise Akram.
    Ian Botham, Freddie Flintoff, Kevin Pietersen, Brian Laudrup, Gazza and Daniela Hantuchova....a fan of you all FOREVER!!!
    Can't wait to see Australia field a crap leg-spinner like Hollland or Hohns again.....
    Congratulations to Daniela Hantuchova on her 3rd career title....
    Bob Woolmer 1948-2007..farewell to the best coach England never had...
    Arise Sir Beefy....
    Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Poker Boy
    Marshall, Lillee, Warne, Sobers, Akram/Underwood (the last one depends on the pitch. Deadly gets in if its a turner otherwise Akram.
    Your team is going to lose miserably.Even Dennis Lillee doesn't deserve to be a part of an alltime attack.

C_C
    Quote Originally Posted by BhupinderSingh
    Your team is going to lose miserably.Even Dennis Lillee doesn't deserve to be a part of an alltime attack.
    This is merely about the best bowling attack you can think of - which has nothing to do with the best XI - if it did, McGrath would not be in the side and Hadlee would slot in for him.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Ambrose
    Marshall
    Murali
    Warne
    McGrath

Thats one long tail, but I don't think you can bench any of those if you have them in the side. It would be rare occasion indeed if the opposition can make more than 450 in the first innings on a perfect batting pitch, and I doubt any side can chase more than 200 in the fourth innings....ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    McGrath
    Marshall
    Waqar
    Murali
    Warne/Ambrose

Ambrose would play in place of Warne only on greentops. Yeah, I just don't see anything beating this.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    Ambrose
    Marshall
    Murali
    Warne
    McGrath

Thats one long tail, but I don't think you can bench any of those if you have them in the side. It would be rare occasion indeed if the opposition can make more than 450 in the first innings on a perfect batting pitch, and I doubt any side can chase more than 200 in the fourth innings....ever.
    That's mine too. I was tempted to put in Akram to have the token left-armer, hence covering all bases of right arm pace, left arm pace, off-spin and leg-spin, but I can't drop Marshall, McGrath or Ambrose for Akram. IMO all slightly better bowlers.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

C_C
    IMO all slightly better bowlers
    You are correct- all three names there i'd consider are slightly better bowlers than Akram.
    However, is the best concievable bowling attack a collection of the best concievable bowlers or is it a collection of the best possible group that'd compliment each other ?
    For eg, I consider Hadlee and McGrath both to be superior bowlers to Waqar- but is a Hadlee-McGrath combo a better option in reality than a McGrath-Waqar or Hadlee-Waqar situation ? I dont think so, simply because McGrath-Hadlee are much too similar while Waqar would complement either of the two perfectly.

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    There should be a certain amount of diversity to an attack, you shouldn't pick 5 right arm pacers or 5 off spinners. Still in the end, the best bowlers will get you the most wickets, so IMO theres no need to pick a left arm bowler if he wasn't necesarily the best.

Malcolm Marshall
    Glen Mcgrath
    Fred Trueman
    Shane Warne
    Imran Kahn

Imran Khan
    Hadlee
    Marshall
    Mcgrath
    Murali
    Cause Slifer said so.........!!!!

Holding