• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

12th Man CDs

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I'm sure that a few people have heard of this guy in Aus. He is basically one bloke ripping off and taking the piss out of the Channel 9 commentary team. Richie Benaud, Tony Greig, Bill Lawry, Max Taylor, Greg & Ian Chappel, Michael Holding and David Gower; They are all ridiculed to an extent that I was in stitches when I heard it. It's pretty rude, racist and lewd, but really funny. Have you people ever heard of it and do you think it;s funny?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
PhoenixFire said:
I'm sure that a few people have heard of this guy in Aus. He is basically one bloke ripping off and taking the piss out of the Channel 9 commentary team. Richie Benaud, Tony Greig, Bill Lawry, Max Taylor, Greg & Ian Chappel, Michael Holding and David Gower; They are all ridiculed to an extent that I was in stitches when I heard it. It's pretty rude,racist and lewd, but really funny. Have you people ever heard of it and do you think it;s funny?

I think it's very funny, although I'm not sure it should be described as racist.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
A few people heard of it in Aus?

I think a number of the CDs have been the highest selling album in the year that they were released.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Son Of Coco said:
I think it's very funny, although I'm not sure it should be described as racist.
The one that I have certainly is, and pretty funny. They refer to the Pakistanis as Pakis and take the piss out of there names and religion frequently, although with no malice.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
vic_orthdox said:
A few people heard of it in Aus?
Oh right then. I wasn;t really sure whether it was just English people finding the Aus humour funny and the Aus public regarding it as fairly boring average stuff, but clearly not.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
PhoenixFire said:
The one that I have certainly is, and pretty funny. They refer to the Pakistanis as Pakis and take the piss out of there names and religion frequently, although with no malice.
I don't know about that...

Son Of Coco

PhoenixFire said:
I've heard all of them and never thought the context it was in could be described as such. It's been a while since I've listened to them though so...maybe they're not for these modern times :D

PhoenixFire

International Coach
The point was, is that there is far more racism in Aus than there is in say England, so the people over there are less likely to be offended by racist terms, because they encounter them mor often, not saying that all Aus people are racist.

Son Of Coco

PhoenixFire said:
The point was, is that there is far more racism in Aus than there is in say England, so the people over there are less likely to be offended by racist terms, because they encounter them mor often, not saying that all Aus people are racist.
I didn't really think you were. I've been to the UK though and I'm not so sure about that. I do think more people have a problem here though than most people are prepared to admit. It was pretty bad in the UK from what I understood too, there's were some ordinary things happening. I guess it possibly stands out more in other countries than it does your own, which means you could be right! haha

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Josh said:
"pakis" isn't as racist here as it is in the UK, I've noticed.
Yeah, I'd never known it to be a racist term until I saw it censored here. I just thought of it as being an abbreviation, much the same as the Windies. Maybe ignorance on my part, but ... yeah.

Josh

International Regular
In response to the 12th man, yes I own 3 of the CDs and they're rippers!!

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I've been to the MCG, SCG and Brisbane to watch Aus play Pakistan, and have noticed that especially in the MCG that instead of calling the bowler a ****ing **** wanker, they tend to incorporate the word P*ki far more often than they do in England. The only exception is at my home ground of Headingley, which is mainly the Pakistani part of Yorkshire abusing the British-Asian players that play for England.

Last edited:

Johnners

Brilliant stuff, favourite all-time peice would have to be the soccer commentating though

Son Of Coco

PhoenixFire said:
I've been to the MCG, SCG and Brisbane to watch Aus play Pakistan, and have noticed that especially in the MCG that instead of calling the bowler a ****ing **** wanker, they tend to incorporate the word P*ki far more often than they do in England. The only exception is at my home ground of Headingley, which is mainly the Pakistani part of Yorkshire abusing the British-Asian players that play for England.
I think the crowds that watch cricket in England might be a bit more civilised, but I'm not sure that extends to the rest of the society. I watched a test at Lords though, so I'm not sure that's a good indicator. I'm assuming at most of your games there aren't large numbers of 'spectators' wearing suits?

R_D

International Debutant
Clapo said:
Brilliant stuff, favourite all-time peice would have to be the soccer commentating though
hahaha yeah love that one.
The sydney olympics one isn't bad either... love all the names he comes up with.. pretty hilarious.
The last one was a bit of a let down tho.