• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lara the greatest among his peers

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/266879.html

Having to name one "great" batsman from among three contemporary favourites is a tricky task at any time. Yet a high-profile panel of former greats stuck its collective neck out and picked Brian Lara over Ricky Ponting and Sachin Tendulkar for his ability to dominate attacks consistently and over a period of time.

The panel - John Wright, Ian Chappell, Tony Greig and Ravi Shastri - had gathered for Cricinfo's fortnightly discussion The Round Table, hosted by Sanjay Manjrekar. Saturday's discussion, part of the new audio service, Cricinfo Talk, was debating the question, How good is the modern batsman?

The issue was discussed under the canvas of four trends: One, the fact that the 2006 Champions Trophy has served up only one score in excess of 300; two, that perhaps this was the golden age of batting pitches; three, that techniques were not being tested enough; and four, that averages belied sheer batting talent.

All four panelists immediately identified the change in the nature of Indian pitches during the Champions Trophy. While the prolonged monsoon yielded an under-prepared pitch in the earlier games at Mumbai's Brabourne Stadium, the last few matches at the other venues had ball dominate bat for an altogether un-Indian reason - bounce and carry.

Wright, the former New Zealand opener and India coach, noted how pitches today were marketed differently, and how curators were attempting to suit various conditions. Chappell and Shastri singled out Daljit Singh, the curator of the PCA Stadium in Mohali, for praise for his effective work on a pitch that "produced an even contest, and good matches" and was "the best" in India.

Shastri highlighted how the Mohali pitch had exposed India's batsmen - with bounce and carry, and some lateral movement - against Australia and how, as a result of a lack of sixes, India were forced to push for the ones and twos but failed to do so in the manner that Australia did.

Another factor raised was that of the one bouncer per over rule, which Shastri favoured. "It's a good rule, because it gives the bowler a chance to dictate terms and leave that doubt in the batsman's mind," he said. Noted Wright, "The front-foot play was diminished considerably. Batsmen needed to rely more on technical expertise, such as balance and shot control. Survival on flatter pitches is easier, but we saw with the bounce and movement than many batsmen struggled. It was quite unlike Indian conditions."

Greig summed it up - "It's simple: the pitches play up, the batsmen struggle" - while commenting on how batsmen weaned on flat pitches were suddenly finding unpredictable surfaces tough to handle. All four experts agreed that the Champions Trophy had exposed certain modern day batsmen.

In 2006, there have been 12 batsmen who averaged over 50, around three times the number of even a decade ago. So how does this square with the notion of declining quality? The consensus was that batsmen in the contemporary era were up against weaker bowling as against batsmen till the mid-1990s. Chappell was quick to point out that he would have included Mark Taylor and Michael Slater as the opening pair in an all-time Australian XI over Matthew Hayden and Justin Langer, for their ability to dominate quality bowling attacks. He gave the example of Hayden, whose average soon after he debuted at the international level was in the 20s and who couldn't progress beyond a certain level. On his phenomenal return, notably in the series against India in 2001, Hayden averaged in the 60s and Chappell noted how this could have been because of the difference in bowling quality.

"Teams like Zimbabwe and Bangladesh have diluted the bowling," said Chappell. "If you look back at the '90s, you had a more formidable bowling attack going up against batsmen. You had Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis operating in tandem, Allan Donald was there, Australia, as they've almost always done, had a formidable attack, and even West Indies had Curtley Ambrose and Courtney Walsh. Today, that's not the case, as the pace just isn't there."

Pace brought up the issue of helmets. It was argued that today's batsmen relied too much on safety precautions. Wright, having played just a small amount of his cricket without a helmet, pointed to successful batsman like Gary Sobers, Greg Chappell and Viv Richards, who not only scored runs against very fast bowlers while batting without helmets, but also dominated attacks.

Chappell was emphatic: "I didn't ever honestly think that a bowler was going to bowl to hit me. We backed our instincts and our skills. The only way I ever thought I'd get hit on the head was by my own mistake, if I'd top-edge a hook back onto my skull." Greig stressed on how the batsman's courage was not being tested enough, and that certain aspects of batting had gone astray.

So how does one identify greatness? It's a feel that one gets from watching a batsman, was the consensus, and the statistics usually back it up. Shastri pointed out that while technique and ability were definite criteria, what mattered most was consistency.

The panelists were asked to name their greats, and the common names from the past included the two Richards, Garry Sobers, Graeme Pollock, for their ability to score consistently throughout their careers.

And so to Tendulkar, Lara and Ponting. The panel's choice was clear, Lara over Ponting. Sunday's face-off just got more interesting.

abu

Banned
well currently Ricky is better in my opinion, i mean look at his 2005 and 2006 batting averages in both forms of games. In my opinion Lara and Tendulaker are both over rated now because both of them are struggling these days and Ricky is not.

_TiGeR-ToWn_

U19 Debutant
abu said:
well currently Ricky is better in my opinion, i mean look at his 2005 and 2006 batting averages in both forms of games. In my opinion Lara and Tendulaker are both over rated now because both of them are struggling these days and Ricky is not.
Overated??? You are kidding me

It is a testiment to how long they have been able to play at the highest level and still making runs that people rate them so highly. They are both great players of our generation and it is only fitting that people continue to recognise this.

Ricky is a good few years younger then Lara and Tendulkar, the older you get obviously the less effective you will become.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
abu said:

And both of them scored runs against better attacks than Ricky ever did, when they were in their prime.

I prefer Tendy over Lara, but I would prefer both over Ponting. If Ponting continues his run making for a couple more years, then maybe it will be different.

Currently in all time list:

1) Tendy
2) Lara
3) Ponting
4) Dravid

In terms of current form:

1) Ponting
2) Dravid
3) Lara
4) Tendulkar

abu

Banned
silentstriker said:
And both of them scored runs against better attacks than Ricky ever did, when they were in their prime.

I prefer Tendy over Lara, but I would prefer both over Ponting. If Ponting continues his run making for a couple more years, then maybe it will be different.

Currently in all time list:

1) Tendy
2) Lara
3) Ponting
4) Dravid

In terms of current form:

1) Ponting
2) Dravid
3) Lara
4) Tendulkar

Dravid shouldn't be in the greats. if you inlude him. why not include guys like Kallis or Inzamam.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
abu said:
Dravid shouldn't be in the greats. if you inlude him. why not include guys like Kallis or Inzamam.

Ponting is not part of the 'greats' either. Not yet. I am ranking the top two batsman currently with the top two batsman over their careers.

telsor

U19 12th Man
Maybe Lara and Tendulkar faced better bowlers ( Although I think thats like saying IVA Richards was no good because he didn't face the windies pace attack ), I think it's worth remembering that Ponting has a tendancy to step up in big matches, which implies he would have handled the extra pressure well.

That said, I'm happy to call Lara the best, for much the same reasons as the 'experts' quoted above. To truely be great, you need to be able to impose yourself on the game.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
abu said:
How long does Rahul Dravid need to score runs before being considered amongst the greats? By this stage in Tendulkars career he was already elevated to greatness despite not having accomplished half of what Dravid has done. How on earth can someone averaging 59 after more than 100 tests over 10 years, averaging 40+ in every calendar year and 40+ vs every country and in every country not be considered great yet? I mean what more does he need to prove?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The funny thing is, the whole discussion was mainly based around the continously brought-up (and becoming pretty tiring to be honest) issue that contemporary batsmen, and batting in general, are overrated and have it easier then in the past. How many times can it be mentioned?

Yet that's been brushed aside and everyone is worried about whether Ponting is better than Lara or not because it was briefly mentioned. :ph34r:

Funny how comparing the greats always brings out immense debate.

Last edited:

telsor

U19 12th Man
tooextracool said:
How long does Rahul Dravid need to score runs before being considered amongst the greats? By this stage in Tendulkars career he was already elevated to greatness despite not having accomplished half of what Dravid has done. How on earth can someone averaging 59 after more than 100 tests over 10 years, averaging 40+ in every calendar year and 40+ vs every country and in every country not be considered great yet? I mean what more does he need to prove?
It's not how many he scores, it's how he scores them that cause people not to call him 'great'. He stays in and accumulates, while the other 3 mentioned take control of a game on a regular basis. Yes, I'm sure there are counter examples, but Dravid isn't called the wall for nothing.

open365

International Vice-Captain
I would say Sachin is better than everyone in the modern game, purely because his technique is IMO the best there's ever been.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
i'd agree with the article. I like the point that they bring up in that the courageous aspect of batting is gone with all the protection that batsmen have these days. Back in the 70s when Richards would have faced Lillee & Thommo at perth at its best with just a cap and tore them apart or when Chappell had that famous series vs the 4-prong in 79 without a helmet.

Dont think regardless of how great Tendy, Lara, Ponting, Dravid, Kallis, Waugh, Kallis, Inzi have been would have faced the pace of Wasim, Waqar, Lee, Ambrose, Akhtar, Bond without protection..

abu

Banned
guys i dont wana take anything away from lara, but i think in his current form he is very overrated and so is tendulkar. No doubt these were great batsmens of the 90's but seriosly what have they done in the last 5 or 6 years?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
abu said:
guys i dont wana take anything away from lara, but i think in his current form he is very overrated and so is tendulkar. No doubt these were great batsmens of the 90's but seriosly what have they done in the last 5 or 6 years?

Maybe last 1-2 years, but certainly not 5. Lara made his 400* about 2 years ago.