• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

brett Lee

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
im a fan i just saw a story on the news that siad that Lee would just bowl Flat out if he got picked :) about time
Steve Rixon quote "Get it half right on our pitches at that pace and your a lethal weapon"

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Or maybe he'll injure himself again, I doubt it will dramatically reduce his effectiveness...its poor enough as it is...:lol:

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Just reading in Todays paper over here and there is a story on Lee and how he lost 9kg during the test series in Sharjah...
:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Lee is primarily an out and out speed merchant.

There is no reason why he should be asked to bowl line + length, if that's needed then there's McGrath, Gillespie and Bichel.

He will be most effective hitting 95+ (153+) - it's what sets him apart from the rest. If you've got something, use it!

I hope he doesn't...

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I think he will revert back to his old ways for this series, just letting the Pace dictate...
The only man i feel that will have any success against him is Trescothick...
But he will take a few wickets i think...

Eclipse

International Debutant
Hes has more than just pace to be honest he can bowl fantastic outswingers and has a very good inswinging yorker. Hes is probably the best Australian at getting reverse swing as well.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah but he gets more use out of them when he lets himself relax and bowl the way that feels good, rather than concentrating on bowling them....

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Lee should be dropped as he isn't in the standard of the rest of the Aussie bowlers.
Glenn McGrath, Shane Warne - two of the best bowlers ever.

Jason Gillespie - The second best fast bowler in Australia.

So tell me, out of the rest of the bowlers in Australia, who IS anywhere near the level of the other three? Most importantly, who's closer than Brett Lee?

Let's have a look at the opening bowlers in each state:

SA - Mick Miller/Mark Harrity and Paul Rofe

Both are very young and yet to prove themselves, despite Rofe's sensational season last year and Miller's good start. Harrity almost has Lee's pace but is nowhere near the bowler.

NSW - Stuart Clarke and Nathan Bracken

Again, yet to prove themselves.

Tasmania - Shane Jurgensen and Damien Wright

Effective bowlers but hardly Test standard just yet.

Queensland - Michael Kasprowicz and Andrew Bichel

These guys are definately at Test standard but are a bit long in the tooth.

Victoria - Mick Lewis and Will Carr/Matthew Iness

Mick has plenty of pace; Will Carr and Matthew Inness aren't bad but aren't very quick.

Western Australia - Brad Williams and Matt Nicholson.

Both very good bowlers but need to put together more consistent performers.

So who are the main rivals? Probably Bichel, Kasprowicz and Brad Williams. Being that the Aussies would probably want a younger bowler bowling first-change, there goes both Bichel and Kasper. This leaves Williams as his main rival.

The point is, Lee isn't as far down the pecking order as he appears and aside from Williams who will probably get his chance soon, Lee has few main rivals as a YOUNG first-change fast bowler.

So I don't think you're being real fair to him at all. If he has a terrible season at home against England, I may change my mind but as it stands, his place is on the line and it's his job to keep it but I think he can do it.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Bracken is good, and will play prob play test cricket in a few years or as an injury sub, i rate him as at least teh 2nd best left armer in the world (pace)

i agree with GB about brett lee needing to relax and just bowl the way he wants to - which is what he said that he would do

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Against quality batting, pace isnt everything (to be cliche :D )

I think Lee doesnt have the control to consistently do well at International level

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by Eclipse
Hes has more than just pace to be honest he can bowl fantastic outswingers and has a very good inswinging yorker. Hes is probably the best Australian at getting reverse swing as well.
If he has all these weapons in addition to his express pace and can use them effectively, he should have been the best fast bowler in the world by now. He is hardly that. If he can't use them effectively, then there is no point in talking about his variety.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Brett Lee is very ineffective as a restrained pace bowler because all his life all he did was charge in & bowl raw pace & then to suddenly be told to restrain himself to the mid 140's could be like bowling all over again.

Either Australia lets him go & let him plot his own downfall by bowling his natural style or they kill his career by continuing to make him restrain from bowling quick & then drop him leaving him confused & going down the same track as Kasprowicz.

CaptainSaurav

Cricket Spectator
Always ??? the last time he played at home, Lee got nine wkts in three test against SA, with best being 3/77, thats hardly impressive!!

masterblaster

International Captain
agemaster you might be a brett lee fan, but his skill and performance has gone downhill in the past 2 seasons. He is not that great.

He is good, but not great. You cannot compare Gillespie or McGrath to Lee, you just cant.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by CaptainSaurav

Always ??? the last time he played at home, Lee got nine wkts in three test against SA, with best being 3/77, thats hardly impressive!!
It's all greedy McGrrath and Warne's fault - they insist on taking a lot of wickets!