• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Disgracefull treatment of a Cricket Legend

Golaxi

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hello. Doesn't anyone one else in the whole world find the way everyones treated the iconic legend umpire of cricket Darryl Hair disgracefull?

Blaming him was an easy option for everyone especially with the way they baited him to the notoriosly hungry media.

In case anyone hasn't noticed he did NOT abandon the game! Pakistan refused to play therefore surrendering the game. Once the game was ALREADY OVER they then decided like little babies that maybe they wanted to play again so they foolishly marched back on the pitch. If you know anything about cricket you should know that once a game is over you cannot start playing it again. so blaming the umpire to start it again is stupid and out of the question, if you really care, know or like anything about cricket you should be running over to blame the Pakistan players who abandoned the game.

Now lets remember why they abandoned the game, because they were docked 5 runs (ill let you make what you like of that) for a ball replacement because the ball had been tampered with (which it had). Now the players took that as if they'd been accused of cheating which they felt rightly aggreived of, that then it was their decision to abandon the game.

now lets take this. The ball was in an unnormal state that could have come from anywhere including... Building Structure, someone in the crowd or even a player but was still tampered with thus given the bowling side an unfair advantage even when the new ball was replaced. Thus were deducted a grand total of 5 runs.

My judgement is forgetting all past cheating and suspicous rumours as to be unbiased but any neutral would be silly to dismiss all that including stuff like

Proven history of ball tampering (cheating)
Proven history of betting scandals
Recent drug scandal suspicions which have led to playing bans

many would see that as the italians of cricket!

anyway if you were the captain sitting in that room can you rule out every suscpicion of all your players knowing their history? are you brave enough to swallow your pride and not let down both nations and spectators and ridicule a great umpire and play on despite a 5 run defficit and complain after the game especially considering you are being given a new ball. Maybe explore the thought that the ball has been re-moulded through another means. Instead of considering accepting maybe a mistake had been made they refused to play and abandoned the game themselves. In my eyes a gracefull team plays on.

In football if someone fouls me and it's not given... i carry on

it was very easy for everyone to blame the umpire and they held out the bait to the media.

How could you treat a legend that has given so much to the sport over the years, he loves the game, never once tried to change it for personal benifit yet still has been so iconic in world cricket.

in my eyes he has been subjected to the fickle non-cricketing world to brush him under the carpet and save anyone else any blame.

what do you think? does anyone else share even slightly the same account of things?

SA

Banned
Golaxi said:
Hello. Doesn't anyone one else in the whole world find the way everyones treated the iconic legend umpire of cricket Darryl Hair disgracefull?

Blaming him was an easy option for everyone especially with the way they baited him to the notoriosly hungry media.

In case anyone hasn't noticed he did NOT abandon the game! Pakistan refused to play therefore surrendering the game. Once the game was ALREADY OVER they then decided like little babies that maybe they wanted to play again so they foolishly marched back on the pitch. If you know anything about cricket you should know that once a game is over you cannot start playing it again. so blaming the umpire to start it again is stupid and out of the question, if you really care, know or like anything about cricket you should be running over to blame the Pakistan players who abandoned the game.

Now lets remember why they abandoned the game, because they were docked 5 runs (ill let you make what you like of that) for a ball replacement because the ball had been tampered with (which it had). Now the players took that as if they'd been accused of cheating which they felt rightly aggreived of, that then it was their decision to abandon the game.

now lets take this. The ball was in an unnormal state that could have come from anywhere including... Building Structure, someone in the crowd or even a player but was still tampered with thus given the bowling side an unfair advantage even when the new ball was replaced. Thus were deducted a grand total of 5 runs.

My judgement is forgetting all past cheating and suspicous rumours as to be unbiased but any neutral would be silly to dismiss all that including stuff like

Recent drug scandal suspicions which have led to playing bans

many would see that as the italians of cricket!

anyway if you were the captain sitting in that room can you rule out every suscpicion of all your players knowing their history? are you brave enough to swallow your pride and not let down both nations and spectators and ridicule a great umpire and play on despite a 5 run defficit and complain after the game especially considering you are being given a new ball. Maybe explore the thought that the ball has been re-moulded through another means. Instead of considering accepting maybe a mistake had been made they refused to play and abandoned the game themselves. In my eyes a gracefull team plays on.

In football if someone fouls me and it's not given... i carry on

it was very easy for everyone to blame the umpire and they held out the bait to the media.

How could you treat a legend that has given so much to the sport over the years, he loves the game, never once tried to change it for personal benifit yet still has been so iconic in world cricket.

in my eyes he has been subjected to the fickle non-cricketing world to brush him under the carpet and save anyone else any blame.

what do you think? does anyone else share even slightly the same account of things?
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Best Post Ever?

SA

Banned
Golaxi said:
Absolutely rubbish,u r the most racist forum member ever on Cricket Web:)
Pakistanis have never been involved in ball-tampering &betting,if reverse-swing is ball tampering & cheating,then please ban Andrew Flintoff & Simon Jones first.

SA

Banned
silentstriker said:
Legend?

Yea, but not in the way you are implying ;).
silentstriker,Darrell Hair is a legend in eyes of these idiots for being the most racist umpire in history.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
SA said:
Pakistanis have never been involved in ball-tampering.
Falls of chair laughing :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: and then gets worried that some people actually beleive this.

Golaxi

School Boy/Girl Captain

SA said:
Absolutely rubbish,u r the most racist forum member ever on Cricket Web:)
Pakistanis have never been involved in ball-tampering &betting,if reverse-swing is ball tampering & cheating,then please ban Andrew Flintoff & Simon Jones first.
They were FILMED scrapping the ball on bottle tops!

whats so racist about that?

gennerally with my attitude i wouldn't count those things cause i don't like to opinionate (judge people on their reps) people especially when lots of it is rumours and and the proven cheating was in the 80s (long time ago now).

but if your gonna look at the facts and judge you gotta look...

never mentioned rumours of ball tampering.

but please let me know what is racist. i am the most un racist person you can meet im just not a crowd hopper (sheep)?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh stop it with the racism stuff.

The guy had to go though, too much scar tissue.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I think it needs pointing out (shouldnt need to be but ho hum) that reverse swing is a perfectly legitimate tactic that the Pakistanis brought onto the scene.

Reverse swing does not equal ball tampering or cheating.

What is ball tampering and cheating is certain illegal methods and techniques used to alter the condition of the ball to aid reverse swing.

So to conclude, reverse swing is fine. Lifting of the quarter seam, gouging of the ball with nails/foreign objects ect to aid reverse swing isn't.

Personally, Im for a certain relaxation of the laws. If you are allowed to improve the condition of the ball by shining, I see no reason for not being able to worsen the condition as long as you dont use something unnatural.

However, until the laws change then players need to be punished for breaking the rules.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Anyone else sick and tired of the r word being thrown in any time Pakistan get criticised on this forum? It's not universal to all subcontinent members, I want to state that now, but it's really doing my head in now actually.

You're racist if you believe Pakistan ball-tampered
You're racist if you believe Akhtar and Asif deliberately took drugs
You're racist if you believe women wearing veils is equivalent to ASBO kids wearing hoodies

Jeez if Aussies cried racist everytime someone called them a bunch of convicts, or if we cried racist everytime our "pasty skin" was referenced, the word would be the most sued on Cricketweb.

It needs to stop, accusing someone of being racist is a rather serious allegation, and imo it needs to be treated in the same way as many other offences on here.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Anyone else sick and tired of the r word being thrown in any time Pakistan get criticised on this forum? It's not universal to all subcontinent members, I want to state that now, but it's really doing my head in now actually.

You're racist if you believe Pakistan ball-tampered
You're racist if you believe Akhtar and Asif deliberately took drugs
You're racist if you believe women wearing veils is equivalent to ASBO kids wearing hoodies

Jeez if Aussies cried racist everytime someone called them a bunch of convicts, or if we cried racist everytime our "pasty skin" was referenced, the word would be the most sued on Cricketweb.

It needs to stop, accusing someone of being racist is a rather serious allegation, and imo it needs to be treated in the same way as many other offences on here.
Im not tired of it because I tend not to read those threads. This being the first one in a while as I was tricked by the title :) . You run into some of the most biased and blind people that have the most blinkered thoughts on the game and see cricket and its participants as some form of national and racial icons.

I prefer it as a game (an important one though) where no importance or relevance is placed on a nation or race because of it.

I mean, I thought (along with many others) that Botha chucked. He got banned. No real drama and certainly no street protests. In other parts of the world it may have been less accepted.

People should just chill and let the lawmakers and administrators do their jobs and stop getting so 'offended' for minor issues.

Last edited:

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
When I first opened the thread I thought it'd be about some random old pro getting kicked out the MCC or whatever, but it's actually quite amusing.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was thinking along the same way Baconator. I'm also quite tired of this so called "racism", everytime a member of this forum tries to say something about the Pakistani bowlers, whether it be about ball tampering, drug taking or reverse swing they seemed to get labelled as a racist. It's ridiculous.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Perm said:
I was thinking along the same way Baconator. I'm also quite tired of this so called "racism", everytime a member of this forum tries to say something about the Pakistani bowlers, whether it be about ball tampering, drug taking or reverse swing they seemed to get labelled as a racist. It's ridiculous.
You're right, it is ridiculous that "racist" is thrown about that lightly. I actually think it does weaken one's argument when you use that word on the drop of a hat. However, people in this thread are overreacting IMO. Please note that the vast majority of Pakistani (or subcontinental members) have debated the issues logically and reasonably. They have not accused everyone of being racist if they spoke negatively about Pakistan. In fact, please read the thread about Shoaib's and Asif's banning in CT subforum. Almost every subcontinental member severely bashed the two bowlers and expressed shock and embarrassment (in the case of Pakistani posters) at what transpired. There will always be exceptions of course. I won't name names, but some on the other side have also been reckless in their analysis of things. So let's not generalize about "every time we say something about Pakistani's we get branded as racist". Criticize and debate as you see fit, that's what these forums are all about.

Golaxi

School Boy/Girl Captain
not a legend of playing ability but in the sport as a whole. he has been around so many years and i can't say for certain but pretty much the most accurate decision maker of a human eye and still the sharpest around despite his increasing age. He doesn't interfere with the game and lets it be played without trying to make a personal impression. Still he is a very iconic figure within the world of cricket and easily more so than any other referee in the world in comparison of football. Probably more known than most international players.

You watch the all the major test series over the past few decades or so, they've always tried to draft in hair as one of the umpires simply because of his machinelike reliability. theres so few like that around. can you imagine some of the other erratic umpires in the world umpiring the ashes series? it would almost be a disaster as theres so much pressure. with worse replacements coming it would almost be disaster for the authorities. the media would have a field day.

saying that there probably are a couple that would be able to half make up for only 1 big loss so it probably isn't a dire state but still. a major contributor to the big series.

the point is that people are majorly over-reacting! they fed him like bait to the media who are as fickle as well as knowing j s all about cricket. everyone completely bypassed any sort of critisicm of the players who after all did abandon the match. Is there any Pakistan supporters who are annoyed at their team? please speak cause i know i would be if my team done that...

archie mac

International Coach
I don't agree with a lot of the things written on this thread.

I do wonder if any umpire will have the guts in future to call a bowler for throwing or a team for ball tampering?

Why would you? The ICC will just hang you out to dry.

I know some will say they should wait until the end of the match and refer their concerns onto the ICC, but if Aus win the last Test of the Ashes series to win 2-1. Because of a blatent case of ball tampering, what will happen?

They will award the match later to England?

What a joke, I can see it now: "and Aust. may have just won the Ashes, depending on appeals and umpire reports and media scrutiny, and a post series investigation by the ICC, CA, and Ch9"

adharcric

International Coach
archie mac said:
I don't agree with a lot of the things written on this thread.

I do wonder if any umpire will have the guts in future to call a bowler for throwing or a team for ball tampering?

Why would you? The ICC will just hang you out to dry.

I know some will say they should wait until the end of the match and refer their concerns onto the ICC, but if Aus win the last Test of the Ashes series to win 2-1. Because of a blatent case of ball tampering, what will happen?

They will award the match later to England?

What a joke, I can see it now: "and Aust. may have just won the Ashes, depending on appeals and umpire reports and media scrutiny, and a post series investigation by the ICC, CA, and Ch9"
If you suspect ball-tampering, you don't just lay the accusation because of some inkling you've got. There are other options, like changing the ball and speaking to the captain.