• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Darrel Hair's ban , Justified or not ?

Darrel Hair's ban , Was it justified ?

• Total voters

FRAZ

International Captain
I know different threads have been made so far on him and anyways what do the members over here think about his ban .I was amazed at some of the members of ICC that they still voted for him to continue. A justified act or was it just an Asian and African bloc's bullying ?

Last edited:

open365

International Vice-Captain
Mmm...it's not a secret that the Asian block of the ICC are responsible for the ICC giving him the sack but tbh, i don't really care, i've had enough of Darrel hair, we've got plenty of umpires to replace him.

Golaxi

School Boy/Girl Captain
no

even if he made the wrong decision the Pakistan players treated it in a very bad way themselves.

It is way beyond out of order to slate him let alone sack him for one debatable desicion after all these years. one of the better umpires in the game, actually tries to preserve it unlike some other eccentric umpires (like that kiwi bloke). he is still very iconic and one of the best ever decision makers anyway so to critisize him on one possibly dodgy desicion is crowd play.

players cheat dont they? with appeals and stuff.

but overall the way the players dealt with it was very ungamely and ungracefully and everyones gone way overboard with him.

do you really want to see him cleaning streets? the players seem to keep quiet enough about it!

Dravid

International Captain
He should have been banned from umpiring Asain games, and from games taking place in Asia I believe. A life time ban was a little harsh.

Also while the ICC are at it, kick Steve Bucknor out.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Very harsh on him really, perseonally I think it's the Asian cricketing nations having an agena against him that casued the ICC to ban him. Unjustified.

FRAZ

International Captain
Well as I suspected ! It was gonna be a tough question . I ll take "I don't know " as Asian and African Bloc was wrong !

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Completely justified IMO. I doubt the sacking was based on just this recent incident, but on a history of poor relations between him and the Asian teams. He should've been gone a long time ago.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Unjustified. Its unfortunate that it has to end this way and even more sad is that Asian Boards targetted an individual in this manner.

It really shows where the priorities of the asian boards lie. They are more interested in politics and power display and less interested in cricket.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
Unjustified. Its unfortunate that it has to end this way and even more sad is that Asian Boards targetted an individual in this manner.
how should it have ended according to you?

Sanz said:
It really shows where the priorities of the asian boards lie. They are more interested in politics and power display and less interested in cricket.
isn't it all politics and power display? hasn't it always been whether it's asia or europe or the trans-tasman? why are you so surprised?

Fusion

Global Moderator
Sanz said:
And Aus, Eng, and NZ boards are always interested in the betterment of Cricket and never in politics right? When it comes to the boards, ALL of them are interested in consolidating power and money for themeselves. Regardless of their true motives, I feel the right decision was made on Hair.

FRAZ

International Captain
Fusion said:
And Aus, Eng, and NZ boards are always interested in the betterment of Cricket and never in politics right? When it comes to the boards, ALL of them are interested in consolidating power and money for themeselves. Regardless of their true motives, I feel the right decision was made on Hair.
I always wonder why Zim's voted against him ???

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Anil said:
how should it have ended according to you?
I think I have said it a couple of times in last two days, will say it again - A Suspension (similar to Inzi's) would have been fair.

isn't it all politics and power display? hasn't it always been whether it's asia or europe or the trans-tasman? why are you so surprised?
That automatically makes it right, isn't it ? And no, it has not always been about politics and power display, at least it was not so visible to the common fan. In last few years it has become more and more visible and us vs. them.

FRAZ

International Captain
Sanz said:
I think I have said it a couple of times in last two days, will say it again - A Suspension (similar to Inzi's) would have been fair.
And in case of Asif , What do you think ?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Fusion said:

Even the worst domestic cricketer in the Eng/Aus (Dont about NZ) makes pretty much good money, they have excellent infrastructure, what had India/Pak Got in comparison ?

Politics and power is justified when you are going to use the money for the betterment of cricket, In case of India/Pak the money either rots in the bank or in the pockets of 100s of committees. Eitherways, just because aus/eng/nz do it, doesn't make it right and we lose any high ground we might have held so far in this battle.

You certainly have the right to have an oipinion, but so do I and I dont think it is the right decision.

FRAZ

International Captain
Sanz said:
Politics and power is justified when you are going to use the money for the betterment of cricket, In case of India/Pak the money either rots in the bank or in the pockets of 100s of committees. Eitherways, just because aus/eng/nz do it, doesn't make it right and we lose any high ground we might have held so far in this battle.
Right and wrong on both counts !!
Why forgetting SA , SL , Zim , and WI again and again . They might not fall in your category of "Money Monger Club" .
And put aside the dump of racism . It was ICC who decided that the ball tampering was a wrong accusation . ICC is an institute and a well established one and do you think that ICC also falls in the category of that "Money Monger club" !!!
Kapil Dev and Ganguly had serious problems with Darrel Hair and they informaly accused him of wrong doing and also there are so many itsi bitsis about him which fall outside the jurisdiction of your "Money Monger Committee" !!!

FRAZ

International Captain
And by the way Sanz , What was the purpose of that 500,000 $ demand by Hair . Who the hell was a money monger at that time ???
If I am an employer and an employee demands in such a way , then what am I supposed to do sooner or later ?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
FRAZ said:
It was ICC who decided that the ball tampering was a wrong accusation . ICC is an institute and a well established one
I would like you to say this in the Shoaib Akhtar/Md. Asif Ban thread.

FRAZ

International Captain
Sanz said:
I would like you to say this in the Shoaib Akhtar/Md. Asif Ban thread.
So yeah if ICC has conducted its own tests and have found them guilty under their own jurisdiction then I have no problem if ICC decides to hang them .
You are blaming the performance of the local boards and I admitt that they made mistake too because they have "NO" law regarding the punishment of Dope!!
True or not ? ICC kept quite and sat on one side because they DID NOT CONDUCT THE TESTS !!!