• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Darrel Hair's ban , Justified or not ?

Darrel Hair's ban , Was it justified ?

• Total voters

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FRAZ said:
Would you please show me the copy of the PCB rule book here ! And/or dope laws in Pakistan please !
PCB has adopted rules of WADA (World Anti Doping Authority)

First offence is 2 year ban

Second is life

FRAZ

International Captain
social said:
He was convicted of bringing the game into disrepute.

The minimum penalty for this offence is a suspension of 4 odi
And Maximum? And actualy post the law regarding it over here for the viewers please .
And useless to quote you in the second post so lets go from here on , No adaptation is legalized yet and useless to rant about the law because there is no law itself and if there is no law then its just utterly rubbish to penalize the players using a foreign object which has no legal entity of itself in Pakistan plus may be ethicaly its unfair but rule is rule and there are certain rants over here that law is law so if no law about even killing a person then it's fine I ll take it by murdering and then walking away !

social

FRAZ said:
And Maximum? And actualy post the law regarding it over here for the viewers please .
And useless to quote you in the second post so lets go from here on , No adaptation is legalized yet and useless to rant about the law because there is no law itself and if there is no law then its just utterly rubbish to penalize the players using a foreign object which has no legal entity of itself in Pakistan plus may be ethicaly its unfair but rule is rule and there are certain rants over here that law is law so if no law about even killing a person then it's fine I ll take it by murdering and then walking away !
Maximum penalty for being convicted of a Grade 3 charge of bringing the game into disrepute is 4 test matches and 8 odis.

PCB have adopted the provisions of WADA but chose to ignore them when imposing their own penalty for Asif.

WADA could choose to take the case to an international hearing but is unlikely to do so as something is better than nothing

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Cricket never needed Darrell Hair and it certainly doesn't need him anymore.

Any umpire who shows a distinct lack of common sense and understanding of the repercussions his decisions could create certainly doesn't deserve to be an elite umpire. And if the member nations lost confidence in him, why keep him there? They may be right or wrong but if seven of the 10 test playing nations don't have confidence in him, then there ends the matter, right? He is certainly a good umpire as far as the 'normal' decisions like LBW and caught behinds etc are concerned but I think the game is certainly a little less controversial when he isn't around.

Son Of Coco

honestbharani said:
Cricket never needed Darrell Hair and it certainly doesn't need him anymore.

Any umpire who shows a distinct lack of common sense and understanding of the repercussions his decisions could create certainly doesn't deserve to be an elite umpire
If we replaced 'umpire' with 'cricketer' or 'cricket team' in the above sentence it would ring equally as true of the situation. Some people look at a situation intrinsically when things go wrong, others look extrinsically. The former usually move on and become successful whilst the latter are too busy blaming everything and everyone to settle down with a formula for success. I think that's part of the problem.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I see what you mean and I do think INzy kinda got off soft, but then again, Hair started the whole issue. AFAIC, I thought this guy should go out of the elite panel and that Inzy deserved some sort of a ban for some games so that this pulling out of the game does not become a precedent and I guess both have happened.

deeps

International 12th Man
Perm said:
Very harsh on him really, perseonally I think it's the Asian cricketing nations having an agena against him that casued the ICC to ban him. Unjustified.
Some would say it's in revenge of the agenda he's had against them :)

FRAZ

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Yes he did, nobody is denying that, but what he says in the email clearly shows he was set up...
If thats the case then it clearly means that the gentleman also has some psychological issues and has naive or third grade understanding of the set ups and the thing called "test cricket " is all about pressure and "set up" . So if he cannot handle set ups then how come you are trying to save his side by saying he was set up !

Legglancer

State Regular
I hate to make judgements about people as not many amongst us are perfect. However I have extensively watched world cricket for the last 10 years or so and I have seen so many instances where he has been rude or perhaps non-responsive particularly with asien teams. I have no doubt in my mind that he is Biased. His decisions are also not the most fair when asian teams are involved.

Also If all Asian countries have united to get rid of him ....that says a hell of a lot of how thay feel about him as an umpire and the question should be asked WHY ? Why would all the asian countries in addtion to WI and SA make such a concerted effort to take a stand against Hair. Is it just because Inzy or Murali or do they All feel victimised by him ?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FRAZ said:
If thats the case then it clearly means that the gentleman also has some psychological issues and has naive or third grade understanding of the set ups and the thing called "test cricket " is all about pressure and "set up" . So if he cannot handle set ups then how come you are trying to save his side by saying he was set up !
I'm not trying to save anything, merely pointing out what I said at the time, he was screwed over by the ICC over that, and the idea didn't come wholly from him.

FRAZ

International Captain
marc71178 said:
I'm not trying to save anything, merely pointing out what I said at the time, he was screwed over by the ICC over that, and the idea didn't come wholly from him.
So it means retaining him in the ICC after repeat requests by some countries is called screwing ! Waoh almost 500,000 worth of screwing . Who wont like that kinda screwing !

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You what?

The 500k was obviously discussed, then when he put it into writing, they turned round and stabbed him in the back - your post makes no sense.

FRAZ

International Captain
marc71178 said:
You what?

The 500k was obviously discussed, then when he put it into writing, they turned round and stabbed him in the back - your post makes no sense.
When ?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Have you never read the transcript of the email?

You know the one that starts something along the lines of "to put into writing what we discussed"

FRAZ

International Captain
The line which is "As we discussed earlier" does not particularly suggests any evil offer itself and hence has no value in the eyes of law .
So you mean not just Asian countries but also Non - Asians of ICC screwed him ?
So it's not just black and white then . So who likes him over all then ? HUH , You ?

C_C

International Captain
social said:
Guess what the value of the remainder of his contract is worth?

Round numbers - $500,000
That money Hair should ideally never see ( dismissal from a job because of incompetence does not merit paying out the contract) but he probably will- and he should thank his skin and lucky stars for it.

burr

State Vice-Captain
I think this decision is of huge concern for the game. Umpires will be cowed, politics will override all sense and we will end up with an Anglo v Asia standoff which could destroy this beautiful game. I think Hair was incredibly stupid to demand a pay-off and may have in this case been wrong over the ball-tampering but the India/Pakistani block have to stop playing this brand of self-serving politics and start respecting the game they make their money from. The decision is a disgrace and Simon Taufel's words about it were spot on.

C_C

International Captain
Umpires will be cowed, politics will override all sense and we will end up with an Anglo v Asia standoff which could destroy this beautiful game.
Umpires will be cowed. Whether we like it or not, umpiring is a job that has to go massive structural and power changes in the future to survive. As it is, umpires are under the spotlight because technology has closed the gap considerably between the umpire's capabilities and the viewer's (particularly, television viewrs) ability to spot mistakes.
Eventually, it is a matter of time before most decision-making is done by third umpires and umpires are reduced to essentially signalling doods on the field.
They dont like it but then again, human history is chock-full of professions that have become obsolete. Umpires and refs might like to pretend that they are an integral part of any sport but in reality, they are not. There are only two integral side in sports - the players and the fans. The umpire, much like television replays of goals/100 metre finishes/dodgy catches, etc, are merely accessories and tools to the game. And as things usually are, tools and accessories are expendable.

the India/Pakistani block have to stop playing this brand of self-serving politics and start respecting the game they make their money from.
In ideal world, yes that would be the case.
However, where there is money, there is power and where there is power, there is contestation. Before it was the Anglo blocs playing, as you put it, 'this brand of self serving politics' through cricket. Doesnt matter who is calling the shots- if the top dog steps down, another mongrel will rise to fill the power vaccum. I can live with the subcontinent controlling the game- perhaps it is the subcontinental in me talking but i also think that if there's going to be a top dawg anyways, atleast, let the top dawg be representative of majority of the fanbase.

Last edited: