• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Darrel Hair's ban , Justified or not ?

Darrel Hair's ban , Was it justified ?

• Total voters

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
FRAZ said:
And by the way Sanz , What was the purpose of that 500,000 $ demand by Hair . Who the hell was a money monger at that time ???
If I am an employer and an employee demands in such a way , then what am I supposed to do sooner or later ?
If you are the Employer (i.e. ICC) you would have known that it was you who initiated that offer albiet unofficially. In any case 500K is not much.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
I think I have said it a couple of times in last two days, will say it again - A Suspension (similar to Inzi's) would have been fair.
suspension for what? grandstanding? theatrics? i am not going with this decision because i support the underlying politics, i have thought for a long time that he should not be allowed to umpire international matches because he is just a bad umpire in so many different ways....i don't see any other way to bring this to fruition...

Sanz said:
That automatically makes it right, isn't it ?
no it doesn't, but the decision is right in this case....

Sanz said:
And no, it has not always been about politics and power display, at least it was not so visible to the common fan. In last few years it has become more and more visible and us vs. them.
yes, i don't like it either, but it's all about money and power and oneupmanship, what can you do?

FRAZ

International Captain
Sanz said:
If you are the Employer (i.e. ICC) you would have known that it was you who initiated that offer albiet unofficially. In any case 500K is not much.
Enough said ! You have such a serious attitude on this issue !!!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

FRAZ

International Captain
Sanz said:
And by the way you are taking side of Darrell Hair on this issue and the problem is you don't have your own facts clear enough. Darrell Hair if I am not mistaken then has already apologized on this money issue . Tough luck there Sanz , And oh yeah come up with some better argument on this 500 K issue because your client has already apologized ! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
And please don't get personal here thanks !!!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Anil said:
suspension for what? grandstanding? theatrics? i am not going with this decision because i support the underlying politics, i have thought for a long time that he should not be allowed to umpire international matches because he is just a bad umpire in so many different ways....i don't see any other way to bring this to fruition...
Unfortunately, most of the theatrics was created by the ICC and media and not Hair himself. Hair's only folly was that he accused Pak of ball tampering and since then it has all been the politics that has been creating scenes after scenes, he has been just a pawn since that eventful day at the oval. I would still say the theatrics of Inzi and PCB are of much bigger concern than this.

And talking of evidence, since when have we started to accept it ? Did Indian Fans and Board not accuse Dennes of Racism when he sentenced Tendulkar to a suspended ban for ball tampering ? Did we accept the evidence then ?

the decision is right in this case....
And I completely disagree.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
FRAZ said:
And by the way you are taking side of Darrell Hair on this issue and the problem is you don't have your own facts clear enough. Darrell Hair if I am not mistaken then has already apologized on this money issue . Tough luck there Sanz , And oh yeah come up with some better argument on this 500 K issue because your client has already apologized !
And please don't get personal here thanks !!!
Fraz, it's you who is getting personal here by questioning my attitude just because I disagree with you. I have not said anything in this discussion that can be treated any kind of personal attack against any individual that has taken part in this discussion.

Neither is Mr. Hair my Client, nor am I taking Mr. Hair's side. All I am saying is that I disagree with the punishment handed out to him, it is unfair to ban him for life and let Inzi walk away with 4 match ban.

FRAZ

International Captain
Sanz said:
Neither is Mr. Hair my Client, nor am I taking Mr. Hair's side. All I am saying is that I disagree with the punishment handed out to him, it is unfair to ban him for life and let Inzi walk away with 4 match ban.
Well thats some professional language there :D ! The thing is why Inzamam to get the ban for the forfeit in the first place? Forfeit / disrepute thing suggests whatever Max penalty then Inzamam has got that already and I don't really like it because he did not initiate the problem himself . And I doubt that the Oval incident was the ONLY reason which resulted the Hair's removal . And off course realistically speaking Inzamam has no habbit of forfeiting the tests and may have some behavior issues but Hair's behavior was childish , arrogant , un-friendly and visibly biased . His continuous disturbances with Murali plus some specific sides is quite visible . And it's not only about Hair here ! The thing is "The person who conducts a sports he/she should have an un-biased behavior and a friendly attitude to wards the players and should not just stand there thinking him/her self bigger than every thing and should make fair decisions and should be able to resolve any dispute and should try his/her best to continue the game and should not black mail the authorities upon having fears of removal and later on apologizing the fact . I am not saying that Newzealand , Australia or England are wrong because IMHO their teams did not have to face the obvious Bias-ness (My assumption) and stupidity . Off course If I become an idiot and my team is going to find an umpire being un-friendly to the other sides and making repeated mistakes against them then surely I would like that umpire to continue on ! Because for Dummies "Enemy's enemy is a friend if I am not mistaken" .
I don't trust him as an umpire and he has taken the game into disrepute and as Scaly ***cine has said that " Ball was changed upon which decision was made " so retards and good people are in this world and this era is a little better than the previous eras because so called law is at least there (although with not the 100 % accuracy) . But this decision by ICC I guess depended upon the voting of 7-3 , so stick with it or say whatever you want to say !!!!

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
Unfortunately, most of the theatrics was created by the ICC and media and not Hair himself. Hair's only folly was that he accused Pak of ball tampering and since then it has all been the politics that has been creating scenes after scenes, he has been just a pawn since that eventful day at the oval. I would still say the theatrics of Inzi and PCB are of much bigger concern than this.
there has been a lot of theatrics and melodrama from the pakistan team and the pcb, that doesn't negate what hair did...it's also true that he has been at best a fringe player(even while remaining a major topic of discussion) since that day at the oval, that is to be expected....he is an umpire, his sphere of influence extends to the field of play and within that sphere, he created enough havoc on that day...everything else that has happened since has been repercussions of that....so please don't go painting darrell hair as the innocent victim in all this...

Sanz said:
And talking of evidence, since when have we started to accept it ? Did Indian Fans and Board not accuse Dennes of Racism when he sentenced Tendulkar to a suspended ban for ball tampering ? Did we accept the evidence then ?
let's not get into that again, we've had this argument before, i don't agree with your assessment at all about what happened during that test...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FRAZ said:
And by the way Sanz , What was the purpose of that 500,000 $ demand by Hair . Who the hell was a money monger at that time ???
If I am an employer and an employee demands in such a way , then what am I supposed to do sooner or later ?
Hair was set up by the ICC there - the email transcripts clearly point to that.

FRAZ

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Hair was set up by the ICC there - the email transcripts clearly point to that.
He wrote the damn Email HIMSELF , And by -law or by the Ethical Codes, I guess it was quite important of ICC to display the email to the public .. What the hell is the set up there? if I write to you that "Marc I will accept whatever you will say on this board but please pay me this much money " , Offcourse you will happily jump on the boards and put a nice screen shot of the email over here !
BTW If you think that was his justified act then why did he apologize later on !!
HUH

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Anil said:
let's not get into that again, we've had this argument before, i don't agree with your assessment at all about what happened during that test...
It's not about my assessment at all. What I want to point out is that subcontinent boards and fans) are not consistent in our approach on this issue and when there was evidence of ball tampering (both SRT and Dravid case), they didn't accept it and accused the match refs of Racism/Bias despite the evidence.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Anil said:
there has been a lot of theatrics and melodrama from the pakistan team and the pcb, that doesn't negate what hair did...it's also true that he has been at best a fringe player(even while remaining a major topic of discussion) since that day at the oval, that is to be expected....he is an umpire, his sphere of influence extends to the field of play and within that sphere, he created enough havoc on that day...everything else that has happened since has been repercussions of that....so please don't go painting darrell hair as the innocent victim in all this.....
I dont know how you got the impression that I am considering Hair as innocent victim. I totally fault him for the ball tampering accusation but I dont blame him for the test result at all. It was clearly pakistan's fault, they forfeited the game.

Anyways, it's Obvious that our assessments of the situation are different, hence there is no point in arguing any furthur on this.

FRAZ

International Captain
Sanz said:
I dont know how you got the impression that I am considering Hair as innocent victim. I totally fault him for the ball tampering accusation but I dont blame him for the test result at all. It was clearly pakistan's fault, they forfeited the game.

Anyways, it's Obvious that our assessments of the situation are different, hence there is no point in arguing any furthur on this.
Forfeited , Forfeited , Pakistan Forfeited ,Forfeited ,Forfeited ,Forfeited , Pkistan , Pakistan Pakistan .
Damn !!! Whatever and whoever forfeited , he got the punishment PERIOD Inzamam is not playing now a days and whats this rant is all about . Ok lets say Inzamam forfeited ! SO what ? he has got the punishment . Then again and again on each and every stupid thread ranting again and again the same thing ... He is out of the game (Inzamam) and he has got the punishment . What the hell else do you guys want ? WHatever the maximum penalty was there , he has got it !!!!!!!!
stupid rant of Forfeit , sick and tired of it !!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
It's not about my assessment at all. What I want to point out is that subcontinent boards and fans) are not consistent in our approach on this issue and when there was evidence of ball tampering (both SRT and Dravid case), they didn't accept it and accused the match refs of Racism/Bias despite the evidence.
the "evidence" is where you and i differ on the topic and why i didn't want to drag out another argument where both of us wouldn't budge from our points....:)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
ok in that case, i am more or less with you on this one....as for hair, from what i've seen of his umpiring, i've thought of hair as either a poor or a biased umpire(or both) ever since the early 90s....and nothing he has done since has altered that opinion for the better, in fact it has worsened it...i only see good in his removal, guess we have to agree to disagree on that one...

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FRAZ said:
Forfeited , Forfeited , Pakistan Forfeited ,Forfeited ,Forfeited ,Forfeited , Pkistan , Pakistan Pakistan .
Damn !!! Whatever and whoever forfeited , he got the punishment PERIOD Inzamam is not playing now a days and whats this rant is all about . Ok lets say Inzamam forfeited ! SO what ? he has got the punishment . Then again and again on each and every stupid thread ranting again and again the same thing ... He is out of the game (Inzamam) and he has got the punishment . What the hell else do you guys want ? WHatever the maximum penalty was there , he has got it !!!!!!!! stupid rant of Forfeit , sick and tired of it !!!!!!!!!!!
Actually, he got the minimum penalty

FRAZ

International Captain
social said:
Actually, he got the minimum penalty
Would you be a little comprehensive here ! And passing bying a thread and writing one liners without even knowing the situation or consequences is a little weired my friend ! So would you please show me the law saying minimum and maximum penalties for forfeiting here !

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FRAZ said:
Would you be a little comprehensive here ! And passing bying a thread and writing one liners without even knowing the situation or consequences is a little weired my friend ! So would you please show me the law saying minimum and maximum penalties for forfeiting here !
He was convicted of bringing the game into disrepute.

The minimum penalty for this offence is a suspension of 4 odi