• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which series package would you purchase?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Same as Turbinator, I think my choice is swayed by my origin and familiarity with a rival.

I dont think India-Pak can compare in terms of a cricketing rivalry but the historical and present day politics makes the rivalry every bit as dynamic, if not more meaningful.

If I were Indian or Pakistani I think I would take that series over the Ashes. If I was a neutral it would be the Ashes for sure, purely from the cricketing history standpoint.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Ashes for me but that's only because I don't have to pay for it. If I was forking out the cash it would probably still be the Ashes.

Xuhaib

International Coach
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Certainly, having just checked the scorecards out, looks like two very good Test matches, but I can't buy into a 2 match series being rated as highly as last year's epic Ashes...just my opinion of course
Pak by 40 odd runs after being 25-6 on first morning, its that famous match where Shoaib announced his arrival by shattering Sachin and Dravid stumps in 2 consecutive balls.

oz_fan

International Regular
I would definately choose the Ashes. Not just because of national bias but the rivalry, history and consistent quality of the cricket. Especially this year with Australia trying to regain the Ashes.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
The thing with the Ashes though is that up until 2005, most matches from the recent past were rarely ever a contest. India-Pakistan matchups on the other hand have been short but sweet, up until this year, when it was utterly boring until the Karachi test.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Xuhaib said:
Actually there was a 3rd test as well but then was later decided that it would be part of the Asian Test championship instead of the current series, even that match turned out to be a real cliff-hanger
Never knew that test was supposed to be included in the series. That would make it possibly the most exciting test series along with the '05 Ashes in the past 10 years.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Whoever is likely to play the better cricket.

At the moment with Asif and Shoaib missing, the Ashes would probably involve the higher quality cricket.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Jono said:
Whoever is likely to play the better cricket.

At the moment with Asif and Shoaib missing, the Ashes would probably involve the higher quality cricket.
Not necessarily. There was no Shoaib or anybody of Asif's talent in the 2005 series, but it was a cracker of a test series and miles above in entertainment than in 2006 when the bowling duo were playing.

I guess we have to ban two of our best to make things a bit even with India. ;)

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:
Yea, except I am inviting all my friends and family who like cricket to my house to watch on the 65 inch big wide screen TV :).

Freddie running upto bowl on that thing should be outstanding!
You can still go for the cheap alternative. I get it on my computer and use a s-video cable (or other laptop-tv connection, 5 or 10 bucks) to get it on tv.
Last time, all my friends watched on a wide-screen and went crazy, only for India to get thrashed by Australia. :laugh:

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
As a neutral, the Ashes. As an Indian, India-Pakistan. Rather obvious.

If the latter were being played on flat Pakistani tracks, I might go for the Ashes despite being Indian.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
adharcric said:
You can still go for the cheap alternative. I get it on my computer and use a s-video cable (or other laptop-tv connection, 5 or 10 bucks) to get it on tv.
Last time, all my friends watched on a wide-screen and went crazy, only for India to get thrashed by Australia. :laugh:

Tried that but the quality isn't as good when you project it to that size. Ashes are worth it :).

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:
Tried that but the quality isn't as good when you project it to that size. Ashes are worth it :).
Trust me, it is if you have the right link. ;) It's your money though, feel free to spend all you want. :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Nishant said:
i'd go for ind/pak easily! One because im an indian fan, but also because the cricket is more exciting.
You mean like the last series?!

679-7 vs 410-1
588 & 490-8 vs 603 & 21-0
245 & 599-7 vs 238 & 265...

andmark

International Captain
Turbinator said:
A great deal, you are allowed to watch ONLY one tour, which one would it be?

England vs Australia (5 Test series followed by 5 ODI matches)

India vs Pakistan (5 Test series followed by 5 ODI matches)

or the high profiled intense series Zimbabwe vs Ashraful and Co. (Same as the rest)
For me it would be the ashes.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Ashes test series, i reckon 5 Ind/Pak test may be high scoring draws. Although i might rather watch the Ind/Pak ODI series.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
let's change the direction of this thread...

What DVD package would you choose....

1) Ashes 2005
2) Aus v India 2001 (maybe) whenever Dravid and Laxman beat us...

By the way only the tests are on the DVD's

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Slats4ever said:
let's change the direction of this thread...

What DVD package would you choose....

1) Ashes 2005
2) Aus v India 2001 (maybe) whenever Dravid and Laxman beat us...

By the way only the tests are on the DVD's

As an Indian fan, I kind of have to choose #2. But the choice is harder than you think. Thing about 2001 was that the aussies were beaten in foreign conditions by spin and batting. But in the Ashes they were beaten at their own game in conditions they aren't really alien to. Plus Ashes went on for a lot longer and thus had more dramatic moments (Bhajji's hat trick was great too).

You know what, I change my mind: Ashes 2005.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
nah i know it's very hard!!! i'd probably choose the Ashes but hope that the shop had a 2 for 1 sale on in the near future