• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** Sri Lanka in New Zealand

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
archie mac said:
I made myself watch about 5 overs, of this joke called 20/20, that should be enough for this year:sleep:
Yea I got bored of reading the Twenty20 whiner brigade after a couple of pages. NZ go into slog mode and score what was it? 61 off the last 10... wonder why that is.

If you've already made your mind up don't bother watching/listening to it.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
TT Boy said:
He use to bowl a bit of seam up, was supposedly bowling off spin today but he did look a wee bit rusty. Shame Dilshan wasn't playing he could sent down an over or two.
Yeah, that's right now. He's got 50 first-class wickets at just over 30 apiece, including a best of 5-72. Pretty impressive. Dilshan would have rounded off the bowling attack for me, it seemed that Maharoof and Fernando were only bowling to get through the restrictions.

1 Jayasuriya 2 Tharanga 3 Jayawardene 4 Sangakkara 5 Atapattu 6 Dilshan 7 Silva 8 Maharoof 9 Malinga 10 Vaas 11 Muralithraran

Looks strong to me. Anyone know why Malinga wasn't playing today? I would have thought him to be the ideal Twenty20 bowler, mixing the lengths up.

Shame Kumara Dharmasena has retired now as well, his style of bowling (similar to Jayasuriya) would suit Twenty20.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Jungle Jumbo said:
Yeah, that's right now. He's got 50 first-class wickets at just over 30 apiece, including a best of 5-72. Pretty impressive. Dilshan would have rounded off the bowling attack for me, it seemed that Maharoof and Fernando were only bowling to get through the restrictions.

1 Jayasuriya 2 Tharanga 3 Jayawardene 4 Sangakkara 5 Atapattu 6 Dilshan 7 Silva 8 Maharoof 9 Malinga 10 Vaas 11 Muralithraran

Looks strong to me. Anyone know why Malinga wasn't playing today? I would have thought him to be the ideal Twenty20 bowler, mixing the lengths up.

Shame Kumara Dharmasena has retired now as well, his style of bowling (similar to Jayasuriya) would suit Twenty20.
Malinga was rested, also he had a bit of a cold on the 4th day of the test match, maybe he is still suffering.

Incidentally the guys on the commentary box were saying that Prasanna Jayawardene is currently in a New Zealand hospital having emergency surgery on his appendix, so best wishes to Prasanna!

Slow Love™

International Captain
I know Twenty20 is regarded as a bit of fun at this stage, but having a Duckworth/Lewis result at 5 overs seems a bit stupid. We ask for a minimum of 20 overs per team these days for the standard ODI - I reckon there should be a minimum 10 overs for the super-short version. I guess they probably don't treat the stats very seriously at this point though.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was thinking the same earlier. The 20-over point is 40% of the way through an ODI innings, that would be 8 overs in a Twenty20 innings.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Scaly piscine said:
Yea I got bored of reading the Twenty20 whiner brigade after a couple of pages. NZ go into slog mode and score what was it? 61 off the last 10... wonder why that is.

If you've already made your mind up don't bother watching/listening to it.
you tell 'em:)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Damn Jayasuriya is a legend, saw some highlights of his innings just brutal. At this age he's still smoking it haha, will be sad to see when he eventually calls it a day

Choc

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
aussie said:
Damn Jayasuriya is a legend, saw some highlights of his innings just brutal. At this age he's still smoking it haha, will be sad to see when he eventually calls it a day
True to that the guy makes teams weep!

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Slow Love™ said:
I know Twenty20 is regarded as a bit of fun at this stage, but having a Duckworth/Lewis result at 5 overs seems a bit stupid. We ask for a minimum of 20 overs per team these days for the standard ODI - I reckon there should be a minimum 10 overs for the super-short version. I guess they probably don't treat the stats very seriously at this point though.
Agree . This is supposed to be a very short game .... and then to finish it by Duckworth seems even more stupid...

May be these games should start at 5:30 PM to allow any time that may be lost by showers . And if there is any interruption - IMO the game should be called as No Result . Getting D/L into an already shortened game is meaningless .....as are most 20/20 games anyway..:)

LA ICE-E

State Captain
JASON said:
Agree . This is supposed to be a very short game .... and then to finish it by Duckworth seems even more stupid...

May be these games should start at 5:30 PM to allow any time that may be lost by showers . And if there is any interruption - IMO the game should be called as No Result . Getting D/L into an already shortened game is meaningless .....as are most 20/20 games anyway..:)
stop whinning....dont like it dont watch it....but dont whine...this is what 1st happened when ODI came out now look how ODI's having the world cup....twenty20 is just like arena football and odi is the nfl football and test is like tests that tests players skills....

LA ICE-E

State Captain
_Ed_ said:
I was thinking the same earlier. The 20-over point is 40% of the way through an ODI innings, that would be 8 overs in a Twenty20 innings.
then shouldn't the fielding restriction be 8 overs too?

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
The Nz one day team has been announced by Bracewell and again looks decidedly average.....

Daniel Vettori. Captain. class player
Andre Adams. Cannon fodder to make Lankans feel comfortable and relaxed in NZ.
Nathan Astle: Good Player.
James Franklin: frustratingly expensive with his bowling.
Peter Fulton, good but a bit limited for one day cricket...Where does he bat?
Mark Gillespie. I dont know but at least they are giving him a go.
Hamish Marshall. Is anyone surprised?
James Marshall.Is anyone NOT surprised?
Micheal Mason. Metronomic boundary provider and boredom inducer.
Brendon McCullum. Apparently going to wicketkeep and open the batting.
Jeetan Patel. good backup for Vettori but might be 12th man a lot.
Ross Taylor. Please do not let him turn out to be McMillan.

The lineup I would choose would be

McCullum
Astle
Taylor
H Marshall
Fulton
J Marshall
Vettori
Franklin
M Gillespie
Patel
Mason

Last edited:

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Matt52 said:
The Nz one day team has been announced by Bracewell and again looks decidedly average.....

Daniel Vettori. Captain. class player
Andre Adams. Cannon fodder to make Lankans feel comfortable and relaxed in NZ.
Nathan Astle: Good Player.
James Franklin: frustratingly expensive with his bowling.
Peter Fulton, good but a bit limited for one day cricket...Where does he bat?
Mark Gillespie. I dont know but at least they are giving him a go.
Hamish Marshall. Is anyone surprised?
James Marshall.Is anyone NOT surprised?
Micheal Mason. Metronomic boundary provider and boredom inducer.
Brendon McCullum. Apparently going to wicketkeep and open the batting.
Jeetan Patel. good backup for Vettori but might be 12th man a lot.
Ross Taylor. Please do not let him turn out to be McMillan.
not up to date with new zealand but why isnt fleming playing?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Where did you get that squad from?

Edit: found it.http://www.sportal.com.au/cricket.asp?i=news&id=92688

Daniel Vettori (captain), Andre Adams, Nathan Astle, James Franklin, Peter Fulton, Mark Gillespie, Hamish Marshall, James Marshall, Michael Mason, Brendon McCullum, Jeetan Patel, Ross Taylor.

With incumbent skipper Stephen Fleming set to miss the opening two fixtures as part of the squad's reconditioning programme ahead of the World Cup next year, Vettori will take over the leadership temporarily.

My XI for the two matches:
1. N Astle
2. B McCullum+
3. R Taylor
4. P Fulton
5. H Marshall
6. D Vettori
7. J Franklin
8. A Adams
9. M Gillespie
10. J Patel
11. M Mason

I'd back positions 6-8 to score more runs than James Marshall any day.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
TT Boy said:
Malinga was rested, also he had a bit of a cold on the 4th day of the test match, maybe he is still suffering.

Incidentally the guys on the commentary box were saying that Prasanna Jayawardene is currently in a New Zealand hospital having emergency surgery on his appendix, so best wishes to Prasanna!
Hope he has to retire from Test Cricket TBH...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Jungle Jumbo said:

Looks like a strong team, but well go with five bowlers with Dilhara in for Dilshan, his seems very much on the outer.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I personally really enjoy Twenty20, i rather watch it over ODI TBH. Its is annoying how people don't give it a chance at all and just bag it. Im not surprised NZ went for two T20I, as its all about money for them. They would have got a bigger crowd if it was for the whether.

Looking at the Kiwi side, i can't see them getting much out of this ODI series, way too much experimenting. Fair enough they want to build depth and see what various players have at International level. But really you should be looking to build combinations right now, its only like three months away from the World Cup. They should have experimented and tired their back up players at CT. I can't understand why they choice the Marshall boys ahead of Ryder. Their 50/50 selection of trying some new players and going tried and fail is going to stuff them up in the long term. If your going to give new guys a chance you might as well go all out. Good to see Fulton and Taylor get a game though.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
LA ICE-E said:
stop whinning....dont like it dont watch it....but dont whine...this is what 1st happened when ODI came out now look how ODI's having the world cup....twenty20 is just like arena football and odi is the nfl football and test is like tests that tests players skills....
I am not whining , but stating the obvious. the game is pretty short and then to call a result based on an even more truncated innings (if you can call 5.5 overs as an innings ) is pretty stupid .

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Jungle Jumbo said:
Looks a pretty good squad to me I would go with that for the first ODI in Napier , the alternative would be to replace Maharoof with Dilhara . But I think that has its Risk. Napier can be a high scoring venue , with most ODI scores of 250 -300 range. 7 batsman + allrounder would be a necessity .

Last edited: