• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** Sri Lanka in New Zealand

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SL 3/141 at the end of a Truncated Day 1 in Dunedin .

Sanga 52 n.o. Mahela out for 48 . Jayasuriya nought and Tharanga out for 19.

Will see how CK, Chamara Silva , Prasanna J, Maharoof do with the bat tomorrow.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sri Lanka 413
HNMC Silva 70, CK Kapugedara 68, KC Sangakarra 65, MF Maharoof 53
BE Scott 4/56, AJ Redmond 3/41
Otago 140/2
JW Sheed 57, CD Cumming 50
ST Jayasuriya 1/6

dinu23

International Debutant
not a bad batting effort there. silva and kappa fighting for a spot in the lineup i guess. lets see how the bowlers fare.

Sw1fty

School Boy/Girl Captain
Craig Cumming and Mathew Sinclair are back in the New Zealand cricket team - confirmed in a 13 man squad to prepare for the first Test against Sri Lanka starting in Christchurch on Thursday. Also recalled are Central Districts bowler Michael Mason and Wellington fast bowler Ian O'Brien.

The full team is Jamie How, Craig Cumming, Mathew Sinclair, Stephen Fleming, Nathan Astle, Jacob Oram, Brendon McCullum, Daniel Vettori, James Franklin, Shane Bond, Chris Martin, Michael Mason and Ian O'Brien.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Sw1fty said:
Craig Cumming and Mathew Sinclair are back in the New Zealand cricket team - confirmed in a 13 man squad to prepare for the first Test against Sri Lanka starting in Christchurch on Thursday. Also recalled are Central Districts bowler Michael Mason and Wellington fast bowler Ian O'Brien.

The full team is Jamie How, Craig Cumming, Mathew Sinclair, Stephen Fleming, Nathan Astle, Jacob Oram, Brendon McCullum, Daniel Vettori, James Franklin, Shane Bond, Chris Martin, Michael Mason and Ian O'Brien.

Does that team look very average to anyone else????/ Cumming is a tradesman and not much more, and I wouldnt be confident of Mason, OBrien, and Martin picking up 20 wickets between them unless its a green seamer.

Where is Lou Vincent??. Hes one of our best batsmen and Bracewell has left him out again. Ryder has done much better than Sinclair on form so far so where is he?. It looks like a "hardworking but ultimately not talented enough to beat anyone" type side.

I cant wait until old Boof Bracewell is gone.... Please save us John Wright.

How would Bracewells team have played against this team

McCullum( more talented than Cumming, and How, and in good form in opening position)
Fulton ( better batsman than Cumming or How, but manufactured opener)
Fleming
Ryder( more talented than sinclair, better record so far this year, )
Vincent ( more talented than Sinclair, his last test innings at 4 was a double century)
Taylor, (again more talented. We are just not going to get any better unless we pick guys that have the potential to get better. No offence, but Cumming, OBrien, Martin etc are not going to turn into world beaters in the next few years are they?)

Oram
Vettori
Franklin
Bond
Gillespie( at least give a guy one game before you drop him )

Last edited:

James

Cricket Web Owner
Remember guys, Test cricket means nothing to NZC, so at least we're preventing injuries to our top stars by picking this absolutely shocking squad.

Perm

Matt52 said:
Does that team look very average to anyone else????/ Cumming is a tradesman and not much more, and I wouldnt be confident of Mason, OBrien, and Martin picking up 20 wickets between them unless its a green seamer.
Cumming has been in pretty good nick this season, 3 fifites from about 5 innings and he never really failed enough to be sent away. He scored a 70 against the Australians and then wasn't given much more of a chance.

Where is Lou Vincent??. Hes one of our best batsmen and Bracewell has left him out again. Ryder has done much better than Sinclair on form so far so where is he?. It looks like a "hardworking but ultimately not talented enough to beat anyone" type side.
Vincent has been in shocking form just recently, and isn't going to play test cricket for NZ until Fleming, Astle and Styris retire because he is a #4 batsman and does not want to open the batting.

I'm actually very happy that Cumming is back in the side and O'Brien, Gillespie and Mason are all in quite good form which is good. Hamish Marshall must consider himself unlucky, he was unbeaten on 148 last time I check and had a great season in county cricket. I know alot of people here disagree with me but I think he is a good test player. The thing is, we aren't going to see much new talent like Ryder and Taylor introduced until the older batsman retire. Fulton will be disappointed but he'll come back strongly and hopefully score alot of runs for Canterbury.

Perm

JASON said:
Any updates from University Green, Dunedin ?
Sri Lanka are 120/0 in reply to Otago's 276. Tharanga is 64* and Jayasuriya 51* and it looks like they are playing their second innings like an OD match. Malinga took 3 wickets while Maharoof, Ganegama and Fernando each took two.

Perm

For the first test my team would look like this.

1. Jamie How
2. Craig Cumming
3. Matthew Sinclair
4. Stephen Fleming
5. Nathan Astle
6. Jacob Oram
7. Brendon McCullum
8. James Franklin
9. Daniel Vettori
10. Shane Bond
11. Michael Mason

I would've liked to see another batsman in the mix because I think 4 bowlers with Oram and Astle is about enough, with Cumming and How turning their arms over for their provinces we could've done with another batsman and in that regard Fulton and Marshall are unlucky. I also noticed that Mark Gillespie isn't in the squad which is stupid, he's been in good form like Mason and both of them have been performing alot better than Chris Martin.

Perm

Yes he is, the back injury he picked up while playing for Middlesex flared up at the Champions Trophy.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Perm said:
Cumming has been in pretty good nick this season, 3 fifites from about 5 innings and he never really failed enough to be sent away. He scored a 70 against the Australians and then wasn't given much more of a chance.

Vincent has been in shocking form just recently, and isn't going to play test cricket for NZ until Fleming, Astle and Styris retire because he is a #4 batsman and does not want to open the batting.

I'm actually very happy that Cumming is back in the side and O'Brien, Gillespie and Mason are all in quite good form which is good. Hamish Marshall must consider himself unlucky, he was unbeaten on 148 last time I check and had a great season in county cricket. I know alot of people here disagree with me but I think he is a good test player. The thing is, we aren't going to see much new talent like Ryder and Taylor introduced until the older batsman retire. Fulton will be disappointed but he'll come back strongly and hopefully score alot of runs for Canterbury.

Cumming is a good player but my point is that he is nothing more. I would have liked to see a team that showed some promise for the future.

Vincent hasnt been in that bad a form, he got a duck, a 20 odd not out and another twenty. Not great but he is our one of our best players. He just should have been there.

I hope Vincent doesnt have to wait until Astle and Styris retire because he is simply better than both, thats the point, a better player is waiting in the wings. The same goes for Ryder and Taylor....Styris in particular, is simply not as good as those two. Not as talented. I get the sense from these selections that we are wasting time. This was a great opportunity( a two test series with not much riding on it) to blood Taylor and Ryder and give NZ cricket a chance to move foward.

Hamish Marshall is a favourite player of mine, and for me he should always be there or there abouts, When he is confident like his first year of internationals, he looks a million bucks but he can sometimes look second rate when out of form. Glad to see he made some runs today.

Perm

Sri Lanka 413
HNMC Silva 70, CK Kapugedara 68, KC Sangakarra 65, MF Maharoof 53
BE Scott 4/56, AJ Redmond 3/41
Otago 276
JW Sheed 57, AJ Redmond 53, CD Cumming 50
SL Malinga 3/67, WCA Ganegama 2/50, MF Maharoof 2/61, CRD Fernandon 2/84
Sri Lanka 240/2
WU Tharanga 108, ST Jayasuriya 85
BE Scott 1/52