• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** Sri Lanka in New Zealand

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
NZTailender said:
That's pretty stupid considering he's got an average of over 50...
Apart from against Bangladesh he hasn't scored any runs outside domestic cricket; A Team and NT, TBF.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Just wanted to know what others thought about the top order for NZ's batting. Lots of discussion on other boards about the one day batting line up but for tests ???. Scott Styris and Micheal Papps are both injured so are unavailable. Ive tried to think of a line up but its pretty hard. Middle order players are all around but the top three is a nightmare. I prefer Fleming at 3 or 4 and not opening.

My choices

1)Brendon McCullum (i know it will be hard opening and wicketkeeping but Marsh did it fo Aus, and McCullum is only young.He also batted at 3 in that English test.)
2)Peter Fulton
3)Stephen Fleming
4)Lou Vincent
5)Jesse Ryder
6)Ross Taylor
7) Jacob Oram

I just think that with NZ's lack of openers, and glut of middle order players, it might be best to promote McCullum and create space for Ryder and Taylor.
I think Astle has had his day and so has Marshall. Jamie How is unlucky but he would be the next best option to open. 3-6 are pretty much interchangeable, so Ryder could bat 3 and move Fleming and Vincent down one or whatever.

(Jacob O

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Just wanted to know what others thought about the top order for NZ's batting. Lots of discussion on other boards about the one day batting line up but for tests ???. Scott Styris and Micheal Papps are both injured so are unavailable. Ive tried to think of a line up but its pretty hard. Middle order players are all around but the top three is a nightmare. I prefer Fleming at 3 or 4 and not opening.

My choices

1)Brendon McCullum (i know it will be hard opening and wicketkeeping but Marsh did it fo Aus, and McCullum is only young.He also batted at 3 in that English test.)
2)Peter Fulton
3)Stephen Fleming
4)Lou Vincent
5)Jesse Ryder
6)Ross Taylor
7) Jacob Oram

I just think that with NZ's lack of openers, and glut of middle order players, it might be best to promote McCullum and create space for Ryder and Taylor.
I think Astle has had his day and so has Marshall. Jamie How is unlucky but he would be the next best option to open. 3-6 are pretty much interchangeable, so Ryder could bat 3 and move Fleming and Vincent down one or whatever.

(Jacob O

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
chaminda_00 said:
A tail that starts from No.6 can never be any good. Kapugudera is a near certainity to make it at Number 6. Really the last seamers spot is anyones, but im hoping they go for extra batsmen, even if it only Chamara Silva.
Agree Kapugedera is certainty . Not sure about Chamara Silva though.

I would consider for the Tests they pick Ganegama over Maharoof, since he has better wicket taking potential than Maharoof in Tests.

I would stick with Dilhara for the Test.

So I would go with.

Sanath J
Tharanga
Mahela
Sangakkara (Wicket keeper)
Dilshan
Kapugedera
Ganegama
Vaas
Malinga
Dilhara - although selectors could choose Maharoof instead of Dilhara if they wanted to strengthen the batting a little -thus having 2 allrounders.
Murali

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Agree Kapugedera is certainty . Not sure about Chamara Silva though.

I would consider for the Tests they pick Ganegama over Maharoof, since he has better wicket taking potential in Test than Maharoof in Tests.

I would stick with Dilhara for the Test.

So I would go with.

Sanath J
Tharanga
Mahela
Sangakkara (Wicket keeper)
Dilshan
Kapugedera
Ganegama
Vaas
Malinga
Murali
So you would go in with 10 players?

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Matt52 said:

My choices

2)Peter Fulton
3)Stephen Fleming
4)Lou Vincent
5)Jesse Ryder
6)Ross Taylor
7) Jacob Oram

(Jacob O
There's no way Fulton should be opening. He doesn't know where his off-stump is and also appears to have problems with the short ball. If there isn't a place in the middle order for him then I don't think he should play. Also, atm I think Taylor's a better prospect in ODIs than tests. I don't think Astle should be discarded just yet, he's still our most consistent century-maker.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Just sure you edit Jason, if your going to play five bowlers Maharoof is must, that tail is way too long. If Bond plays well go from 4/280 odd to be all out 300.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
McCullum
How
Fleming
Vincent
Fulton
Astle
Oram
Vettori
Franklin
Bond
Gillespie

I do think if we wanna have players like vincent,ryder,fleming in our middle order I do think McCullum has to open. I think he can handle it. Also Fulton/Astle/Ryder/Styris playing for two spots

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Matt52 said:
There were 2 Marsh's - Rod the keeper and Geoff the opener.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
really? haha. Thats OK McCullum has a brother as well.

I was refering to Rod. I thought he opened on occasion for Aus, but I was like 7 at the time so I am probably wrong.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
McCullum does have a brother, Nathan and he palys for Otago primarily as an off spinner but is a handy lower order spot. Good to see some openers dominating on these first few days play of State Championship. I'll make a bigger post later tonight when I have some time.

Perm

The first test doesn't start until the 7th of December, so you would assume that Bracewell will announce his squad at the end of November and have about a week to work with the guys that he picks. Either that or he will give the guys one more game and pick his squad after the Auckland vs Wellington and Central vs Northern games finish on the 2nd of December.

This means that the games currently being played now between Otago and Auckland, Canterbury and Northern and Wellington and Central are vital to the batsman wishing to stake a claim. The opening spot is clearly the most interesting and I hope Bracewell stops being an idiot and picking guys that can and do open at a First Class level rather than putting guys like Peter Fulton and Hamish Marshall up the order. This leaves a very small group of batsman who would be suitable for the job.

With the unfortunate injury to Michael Papps that leaves Jamie How, Craig Cumming, Brendan McCullum who are the only three that I can think of that would possibly be selected. Bracewell could go for an outside choice and pick someone like Tim McIntosh, Michael Parlane or BJ Watling. Guys that have been playing First Class cricket for a while and have been scoring a few runs. Those are the only 6 that I personally think should be in with a shout, forget about promoting guys like Marshall and Fulton, it's not going to work.

The middle order spots are still up for grabs from #3 to #6 really. We have to have Stephen Fleming there, he should probably bat at 3. Then we have Scott Styris, Lou Vincent, Hamish Marshall, Peter Fulton who can all bat at 4 and thats without looking to uncapped players like Jesse Ryder or Ross Taylor. Matthew Sinclair failed in his first innings today so thats probably the excuse Bracewell is looking for so he doesn't have to select him. Astle will probably bat at 5 due to lack of competition and Fulton will get the nod at 6, he scored an unbeaten half century against Otago and has made some decent scores for the Black Caps. Hamish Marshall is unlucky because of his county form but if he scores some runs in the next innings I may be forced to change my mind.

My Team

1. Brendan McCullum (wk)
2. Jamie How
3. Stephen Fleming (c)
4. Hamish Marshall
5. Nathan Astle
6. Peter Fulton
7. Jacob Oram
8. Daniel Vettori
9. James Franklin
10. Shane Bond
11. Michael Mason

The only real concerns I have with this are perhaps playing Patel instead of one of the seamers if Jeetan bowls well. Also I left the 4 and 5 slot to the guys that have played before and they are the ones likely to play unless somebody scores some runs, Marshall scored a tidy 30, Vincent got a duck, Taylor got 40, Sinclair got 10 and Ryder got 60. If Taylor or Ryder score a half century in the next innings then they could be a possibility of getting a spot on form. I don't think Sinclair or Vincent will get recalled though.

Also who would be our 1st change bowler, our 3rd seamer? I have put Michael Mason there for a start but it's debatable really, Mark Gillespie could force a spot through some wickets. I noticed Ian O'Brien picked up 4 against Central Districts and who can forget James McMillan's 7 wickets against Canterbury a couple of days ago.

(EDIT: Replaced the injured Scott Styris with Hamish Marshall)

Last edited:

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
[Quote from perm
My Team

1. Brendan McCullum (wk)
2. Jamie How
3. Stephen Fleming (c)
4. Scott Styris
5. Nathan Astle
6. Peter Fulton
7. Jacob Oram
8. Daniel Vettori
9. James Franklin
10. Shane Bond
11. Michael Mason

Styris is injured and has already out of contention for the test. So that leaves Vincent, Ryder, Taylor, or Marshall and I dont think Marshall will be first choice. There seems to be a bit of a consensus on McCullum opening.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Two tests between non-minnow nations is bullcrap. There should be a minimum 3 test requirement for non-minnow nations.

In fact, its not a bad idea to increase the FTP from six to eight years and have a four or five test requirement.

Perm

I agree silentstriker, it's getting ridiculous for New Zealand the lack of test matches we play. We end up playing the same opposition over and over, like South Africa and Sri Lanka.

I forgot about Styris, so really that #4 spot is open to anybody who scores runs in these next few games unless Bracewell goes with the regulars and picks Hamish Marshall. Brendan McCullum has had some success opening at a domestic level and should be given a go, rather than promoting middle order guys who have never opened.

Perm

I just noticed that Hamish Marshall was bowling today, quite interesting really but if he adds another string to his bow then it could be of great benefit for him. Bracewell will probably go with him at #4.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Whats the news on Tuffey I seen someone write he is bowling again. Think he could get back in?

Perm

Unlikely at this stage, it's his first game back in a long time and I think Michael Mason and Mark Gillespie have leapfrogged him at this stage. Maybe after he gets some game time under his belt.