• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BREAKING NEWS: Hair removed from the Elite Panel

pasag

RTDAS
So this means he can never umpire any international cricket again? That's what they said on the Sky news.

Nishant

International 12th Man
Fusion said:
Well, I'm happy if this is true. Hair was a bad umpire (my issue with him is nothing more than that). Cricket is better off without him.

completely agree there! I guess its best for world cricket that he's removed

Nishant

International 12th Man
Turbinator said:
TBH, I don't know why but I am feeling a bit sorry for the guy. :unsure:

you do feel sorry for him....but i guess he shouldn't have tried to be so clever!!!! At the end of the day, he should have known that paksitan were gonna protest in some way. But IMO, i think its best if we move on from this whole incident and concentrate on the more important aspects of world cricket.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Totally the wrong decision - should have happened after what he wrote about Murali's action (imagine what would have happened if Murali had called Hair diabolical). If he'd been fired then it would have saved a lot of trouble. Surprised SA and WI voted for it though - I've not known these countries to have trouble with him. Or is this a trade off and the Asians will vote with SA/WI if they ever want anything done?.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Poker Boy said:
Totally the wrong decision - should have happened after what he wrote about Murali's action (imagine what would have happened if Murali had called Hair diabolical). If he'd been fired then it would have saved a lot of trouble. Surprised SA and WI voted for it though - I've not known these countries to have trouble with him. Or is this a trade off and the Asians will vote with SA/WI if they ever want anything done?.

Well WI has lately been supporting India, considering India is helping them get out of financial trouble. This wasn't always the case. South African board has also (since they were let back in) supported mostly India.

Its about the money, really. If you want to make money, you better stay on BCCI's good side, or you aren't going to get enough matches with India. Australia and England are wealthy anyway, so they can afford to vote their own ways. Which, most times, tends to be against the Asian bloc. Their problem is that about ten years ago, the balance was fairly even because Bangladesh wasn't a full Test member, and West Indies tended to vote with England/Australia/New Zealand.

Now, the balance of power (with the addition of Bangladesh, and WI supporting Asian bloc) has shifted quite radically and they find themselves in the minority more often than not. You also saw this first hand when it came time to vote for the WC bid.

Unfortunately, most votes these days tend to take place via these political/racial lines. God forbid they actually vote based on their conscience...

PY

International Coach
Doctrove has to go as well if this has anything to do with the ball-tampering.

I don't like it, it smacks of people throwing their weight around. But that's how it works nowadays. It's shame it's done through BCCI's money on decisions rather than making a judgment call but that's life I guess.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PY said:

I don't like it, it smacks of people throwing their weight around. But that's how it works nowadays. It's shame it's done through BCCI's money on decisions rather than making a judgment call but that's life I guess.
Well, virtually speaking, BCCI pretty much have a veto vote like the English and Aussies did a couple decades back.

It wasn't good for cricket then, and its not now. But this veto is much more powerful, as its not a law that can be changed....its about money.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
PY said:

Agreed. Nothing anyone can do about it though.

Slow Love™

International Captain
silentstriker said:
And I bet his severance package won't include $500,000 either. ;)
Don't know if I'd put money on it.

He had it coming. Up to this point I've always defended Hair's calling of Murali. Somehow, I managed to completely miss Steve Dunne's account, from his autobiography in 2003, where he makes it clear that the umpires (Hair included) had agreed before the incident that in the case of a suspect action, they were going to refer it to the match ref and have the action filmed and analysed.

That Hair, after agreeing to this, went ahead and called Murali on the ground only demonstrates further his willingness to grandstand and see himself as bigger than the game. Personally, I don't think somebody with that kind of personality (flaw) should be umpiring at the highest level.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PY said:

I think its pretty much the subcontinent deciding that they've had enough with him, and its more than that one specific decision of ball tampering.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Slow Love™ said:
Don't know if I'd put money on it.

He had it coming. Up to this point I've always defended Hair's calling of Murali. Somehow, I managed to completely miss Steve Dunne's account, from his autobiography in 2003, where he makes it clear that the umpires (Hair included) had agreed before the incident that in the case of a suspect action, they were going to refer it to the match ref and have the action filmed and analysed.

That Hair, after agreeing to this, went ahead and called Murali on the ground only demonstrates further his willingness to grandstand and see himself as bigger than the game. Personally, I don't think somebody with that kind of personality (flaw) should be umpiring at the highest level.
Yup.

PY

International Coach
silentstriker said:
Well, virtually speaking, BCCI pretty much have a veto vote like the English and Aussies did a couple decades back.

It wasn't good for cricket then, and its not now. But this veto is much more powerful, as its not a law that can be changed....its about money.
It is quite similar but as you say, it can't be changed for the good thus I can only see it getting worse as well. :(

Slow Love™

International Captain
PY said:

I don't think that this is solely about the ball tampering incident (and Doctrove obviously had his disagreements with the way it was handled anyway). Rather the culmination of a number of dramas.

Mind you I was looking at an article the other day cataloguing some of Doctrove's failures. I don't think he'll last long, unless he really pulls his socks up. He "disappeared" during a match between WI and India from square leg, and there was an immediate run-out chance whereupon a group of players turned to appeal to square leg and he was just ambling back onto the ground. The other umpire ended up having to call it a dead ball. And there's also an incident, where as a third umpire, he failed to make a decision for a whole freakin' fifteen minutes when Mahendra Dhoni was caught by Ganga on the boundary rope. Eventually Lara just talked Dhoni into walking off, but at the conclusion of the incident, Doctrove actually never handed down a decision. Then in another screwup, he miscounted (possibly disastrously) Paul Hitchcock's overs in a game between WI and NZ, so that Fleming had to hand the ball to Daryl Tuffey (who'd been smashed) in the final over, and the West Indians smacked him for 15 runs and won the match.

PY

International Coach
That's what I meant in theory, Doctrove is far from perfect so why isn't he in the firing line at all? Maybe not banned but taken off the elite panel.

Is Hair off the elite panel or full-on banned from umpiring?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PY said:
That's what I meant in theory, Doctrove is far from perfect so why isn't he in the firing line at all? Maybe not banned but taken off the elite panel.

Is Hair off the elite panel or full-on banned from umpiring?
Banned from umpiring any international match (i.e ICC match). He can obviously still umpire Australian/English domestic matches if they would hire him (it looks like they would).