• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

south african captain

abu

Banned
i was watching higlights of the WI vs SA game and one thing struck me. why did south african captian Smith celebrate Brian lara's wicket. The reason i am asking is cause when lara got out west indies only needed 15 runs to win with 7 wickets in hand. so my question is why did he jump in to celebrations on lara;s wicket when every body knew they are so close to loosing? :laugh:

Dravid

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
If you were a part time off spinner and you got Brian Lara out, what would you do?
Even if you were the main bowler for a team you would be pretty happy that you got Lara out, no matter how many runs were remaining.

abu

Banned
i would happy in my heart , but i wouldn't really celebrate when i know i am going to loose so badly

abu

Banned
Dravid said:
Even if you were the main bowler for a team you would be pretty happy that you got Lara out, no matter how many runs were remaining.
so your telling me your happiness is greater then the team happiness:blink:

Dravid

International Captain
abu said:
in my opinion its silly to celebrate when you have let the team down by loosing so badly
But wasn't everyone else on the South African team happy also?

And apparently, it's not silly for Smith.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe he had Lara on the under in the spread bet :ph34r:

Seriously though, its a little bit what Pickup said and mostly because Smith is an idiot.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know what nationality mr bu is, but just for future reference the word is not "loosing" or "loose". It's "losing" or "lose". Spelling doesn't normally matter of course but "loosing" is something quite different to "losing" and you wouldn't want your mother to think that you do bad things.

oz_fan

International Regular
I can understand him celebrating the wicket of Lara but I really think its time that he was replaced as SA captain. His batting has deterioated badly as captain. That may be a combination of the added reponsibility of captain and also bowlers now knowing how to get him out due to his technique problems. Overall as a captain Smith has a good record but in the last ten test matches he has averaged only 34.77 and scored just one century. Understandably 6 of these matches were against Australia but as captain he failed to lead from the front. In ODIs he has become inconsistent. In his last 15 matches he has averaged 33.28 and scored just one century. I'd like to see him remain in the SA Test and ODI teams as just an opening batsman. I think SA should replace him with either Kallis or Boucher.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
oz_fan said:
I think SA should replace him with either Kallis or Boucher.
If they are the 2 candidates then Smith should stay on. Kallis isnt the right type of guy and Boucher is on the downside of his career and has to deal with keeping all day. May as well just give it back to Pollock.

Favourites would be Prince (a poor selection IMO if given it) or my choice McKenzie (best captain in SA and due a recall)

Last edited:

deeps

International 12th Man
Kallis already has enough on his plate imo.

Smith is a moron. He wasn't even in the SA side properly when he was given the captaincy. He was very much an in and out player.