• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Series to Snub Ashes

Dean

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Okay, so is everyone who is not pro English or Australian sick of the Ashes build up already? Why not promote new series like:

An on going series (once every 18 months / 2 years) between India and Pakistan called the "Memorial Series" in honour of all those killed in fighting between the two nations.

OR:

SA versus Zimbabwe called the "African Heat Series"

Or:

New Zealand / West Indies series called the trans Pacific Challenge.

OR:

A series between the #1 ranked team and the second ranked team, once every 4 years, like a test World Cup

All of these rivalries go back a long way, and although everyone enjoys the ashes, lets include other nations, it's not their fault they didn't invent the game...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Dean said:
All of these rivalries go back a long way, and although everyone enjoys the ashes, lets include other nations, it's not their fault they didn't invent the game...
Whos fault is it then? :ph34r:

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Dean said:
This holds true for all other nations yea, but not India and Pakistan. We have our own rivalry which, to us, holds much more significance than the Ashes. So yea England and Australia are not the only ones having fun, whenever India Pak play their fans are enjoying too.

But this does hold true for other nations, I agree. I like the NZLand vs West Indies idea. They can start their own rivalry.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But guys, isn't the point that you can't manufacture rivalry? It grows from history or from countries being neighbours and having a geographical rivalry.

India v Pakistan - historical & geographical
Aus v England - historical
Aus v WI - historical
NZ v Aus - geographical

All players go out to win every match, but certain games are more keenly fought than others, because of the history between the countries playing in them. For example, the WI v Aus rivalry really started with the 1960-61 series, as an example, and carried on in 1975-76 then the 80s, which is why, when Australia towelled WI last year, not many people here had sympathy for them, remembering the bruises we got through the 80s.

The Ashes is one of the oldest rivalries in sport.

India v Pakistan is one of the most heated rivalries in sport, it's got the lost - warring countries, passionate fans, historical connection, the whole shebang. It's developed over decades and isn't something which is just manufactured for the sake of rivalling other series.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Burgey said:
But guys, isn't the point that you can't manufacture rivalry? It grows from history or from countries being neighbours and having a geographical rivalry.

India v Pakistan - historical & geographical
Aus v England - historical
Aus v WI - historical
NZ v Aus - geographical

All players go out to win every match, but certain games are more keenly fought than others, because of the history between the countries playing in them. For example, the WI v Aus rivalry really started with the 1960-61 series, as an example, and carried on in 1975-76 then the 80s, which is why, when Australia towelled WI last year, not many people here had sympathy for them, remembering the bruises we got through the 80s.

The Ashes is one of the oldest rivalries in sport.

India v Pakistan is one of the most heated rivalries in sport, it's got the lost - warring countries, passionate fans, historical connection, the whole shebang. It's developed over decades and isn't something which is just manufactured for the sake of rivalling other series.
Yea but think about it this way, if let's say WI propose NZLand a series to be played every 2 years, the amount of cricket the two teams will play will increase and so will the amount of GOOD AND EXCITING cricket. Sooner than later the two teams will find a heated rivalry between themselves.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Turbinator said:
Yea but think about it this way, if let's say WI propose NZLand a series to be played every 2 years, the amount of cricket the two teams will play will increase and so will the amount of GOOD AND EXCITING cricket. Sooner than later the two teams will find a heated rivalry between themselves.
I doubt if Chris Martin sent down a couple of ‘coolie creepers’ to Sarwan and Chanderpaul such a series would get heated or even animated.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And to answer your question: I am really looking forward to the Ashes even though I am not English or Australian.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
TT Boy said:
I doubt if Chris Martin sent down a couple of ‘coolie creepers’ to Sarwan and Chanderpaul such a series would get heated or even animated.
I agree that a heated rivalry won't be built so soon and through just one series and a few incidents, but maybe after a little while yes.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Turbinator said:
I agree that a heated rivalry won't be built so soon and through just one series and a few incidents, but maybe after a little while yes.
Well the West Indies notoriously hate playing in New Zealand so that could help the rivalry. Only need captain Fleming to say would a **** hole and horrible life it is playing in the warm climes of say St Kitts and it will kick off.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dean said:
Okay, so is everyone who is not pro English or Australian sick of the Ashes build up already? Why not promote new series like:

An on going series (once every 18 months / 2 years) between India and Pakistan called the "Memorial Series" in honour of all those killed in fighting between the two nations.

OR:

Or:

OR:

A series between the #1 ranked team and the second ranked team, once every 4 years, like a test World Cup

Hahaha, wannabe.

Perm

You can't just build rivalries like this, even if we started for example a test series between WI and NZ every 2 years it would take 20 years or so before the teams consider it to be a grudge series. It just won't work.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
So, England vs Australia then?
No more like Australia vs "fill in any team".

England is not good and consistent enough to occupy the number 2 spot for long. TBH I don't find this English team to be really all that, winning the Ashes was a fluke, they not only suck in ODIs they are also not that great in Tests. Right now I sound like a complete idiot, but watch in a few months. England, IMO, is very overrated. Because they aren't so great in ODIs, after one Ashes win, you english fans are getting excited about them being all that in Tests. It's as if the english fans and the english media need something to look up to.

I know I sounded like a complete idiot, but wait and watch. And I am not saying India are all that either, they suck too!

Matteh

Turbinator said:
No more like Australia vs "fill in any team".

England is not good and consistent enough to occupy the number 2 spot for long. TBH I don't find this English team to be really all that, winning the Ashes was a fluke, they not only suck in ODIs they are also not that great in Tests. Right now I sound like a complete idiot, but watch in a few months. England, IMO, is very overrated. Because they aren't so great in ODIs, after one Ashes win, you english fans are getting excited about them being all that in Tests. It's as if the english fans and the english media need something to look up to.

I know I sounded like a complete idiot, but wait and watch. And I am not saying India are all that either, they suck too!
Look how dire England were in the 90s. Then look at the results since beating a WI side with Walsh/Ambrose at home. Not really all that overrated tbh.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Matteh said:
Look how dire England were in the 90s. Then look at the results since beating a WI side with Walsh/Ambrose at home. Not really all that overrated tbh.
I don't know, I guess thats just my opinion. Anyways, if England give the Aussies a hard time this year, I'll be more than happy to admit it that England deserve to be number 2 in the world. However, I expect this year's ashes to be very one sided.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
India v Pakistan meeting with the same frequency as the Ashes would be a good idea - because India and Pakistan have gone long periods without playing each other it doesn't have the history of the Ashes. Actually the Ashes isn't normally this hyped - its because of the 2005 series and the fact its between the No 1 and 2 test teams. When West Indies and Australia were 1 and 2 I'm sure the Worrell Trophy was the one that got the hype - but I'm sure Aussies would know the answer to that,

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Dean said:

OR:

Or:

OR:

How about an all star mens versus womens game called the trans-gender whack off?