Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Series to Snub Ashes

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

New Series to Snub Ashes

Okay, so is everyone who is not pro English or Australian sick of the Ashes build up already? Why not promote new series like:

An on going series (once every 18 months / 2 years) between India and Pakistan called the "Memorial Series" in honour of all those killed in fighting between the two nations.

OR:

SA versus Zimbabwe called the "African Heat Series"

Or:

New Zealand / West Indies series called the trans Pacific Challenge.

OR:

A series between the #1 ranked team and the second ranked team, once every 4 years, like a test World Cup

All of these rivalries go back a long way, and although everyone enjoys the ashes, lets include other nations, it's not their fault they didn't invent the game...

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Back with a bang eh dean?

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean
    All of these rivalries go back a long way, and although everyone enjoys the ashes, lets include other nations, it's not their fault they didn't invent the game...
    Whos fault is it then?
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    This holds true for all other nations yea, but not India and Pakistan. We have our own rivalry which, to us, holds much more significance than the Ashes. So yea England and Australia are not the only ones having fun, whenever India Pak play their fans are enjoying too.

But this does hold true for other nations, I agree. I like the NZLand vs West Indies idea. They can start their own rivalry.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    But guys, isn't the point that you can't manufacture rivalry? It grows from history or from countries being neighbours and having a geographical rivalry.

India v Pakistan - historical & geographical
    Aus v England - historical
    Aus v WI - historical
    NZ v Aus - geographical

All players go out to win every match, but certain games are more keenly fought than others, because of the history between the countries playing in them. For example, the WI v Aus rivalry really started with the 1960-61 series, as an example, and carried on in 1975-76 then the 80s, which is why, when Australia towelled WI last year, not many people here had sympathy for them, remembering the bruises we got through the 80s.

The Ashes is one of the oldest rivalries in sport.

India v Pakistan is one of the most heated rivalries in sport, it's got the lost - warring countries, passionate fans, historical connection, the whole shebang. It's developed over decades and isn't something which is just manufactured for the sake of rivalling other series.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Eng vs. WI is pretty good too, historically.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey
    But guys, isn't the point that you can't manufacture rivalry? It grows from history or from countries being neighbours and having a geographical rivalry.

India v Pakistan - historical & geographical
    Aus v England - historical
    Aus v WI - historical
    NZ v Aus - geographical

All players go out to win every match, but certain games are more keenly fought than others, because of the history between the countries playing in them. For example, the WI v Aus rivalry really started with the 1960-61 series, as an example, and carried on in 1975-76 then the 80s, which is why, when Australia towelled WI last year, not many people here had sympathy for them, remembering the bruises we got through the 80s.

The Ashes is one of the oldest rivalries in sport.

India v Pakistan is one of the most heated rivalries in sport, it's got the lost - warring countries, passionate fans, historical connection, the whole shebang. It's developed over decades and isn't something which is just manufactured for the sake of rivalling other series.
    Yea but think about it this way, if let's say WI propose NZLand a series to be played every 2 years, the amount of cricket the two teams will play will increase and so will the amount of GOOD AND EXCITING cricket. Sooner than later the two teams will find a heated rivalry between themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator
    Yea but think about it this way, if let's say WI propose NZLand a series to be played every 2 years, the amount of cricket the two teams will play will increase and so will the amount of GOOD AND EXCITING cricket. Sooner than later the two teams will find a heated rivalry between themselves.
    I doubt if Chris Martin sent down a couple of ‘coolie creepers’ to Sarwan and Chanderpaul such a series would get heated or even animated.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    And to answer your question: I am really looking forward to the Ashes even though I am not English or Australian.

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy
    I doubt if Chris Martin sent down a couple of ‘coolie creepers’ to Sarwan and Chanderpaul such a series would get heated or even animated.
    I agree that a heated rivalry won't be built so soon and through just one series and a few incidents, but maybe after a little while yes.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    A series between the #1 ranked team and the second ranked team, once every 4 years, like a test World Cup
    So, England vs Australia then?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator
    I agree that a heated rivalry won't be built so soon and through just one series and a few incidents, but maybe after a little while yes.
    Well the West Indies notoriously hate playing in New Zealand so that could help the rivalry. Only need captain Fleming to say would a **** hole and horrible life it is playing in the warm climes of say St Kitts and it will kick off.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Okay, so is everyone who is not pro English or Australian sick of the Ashes build up already? Why not promote new series like:

An on going series (once every 18 months / 2 years) between India and Pakistan called the "Memorial Series" in honour of all those killed in fighting between the two nations.

OR:

SA versus Zimbabwe called the "African Heat Series"

Or:

New Zealand / West Indies series called the trans Pacific Challenge.

OR:

Hahaha, wannabe.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    You can't just build rivalries like this, even if we started for example a test series between WI and NZ every 2 years it would take 20 years or so before the teams consider it to be a grudge series. It just won't work.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    So, England vs Australia then?
    No more like Australia vs "fill in any team".

England is not good and consistent enough to occupy the number 2 spot for long. TBH I don't find this English team to be really all that, winning the Ashes was a fluke, they not only suck in ODIs they are also not that great in Tests. Right now I sound like a complete idiot, but watch in a few months. England, IMO, is very overrated. Because they aren't so great in ODIs, after one Ashes win, you english fans are getting excited about them being all that in Tests. It's as if the english fans and the english media need something to look up to.

I know I sounded like a complete idiot, but wait and watch. And I am not saying India are all that either, they suck too!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information