• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Series to Snub Ashes

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Turbinator said:
I don't know, I guess thats just my opinion. Anyways, if England give the Aussies a hard time this year, I'll be more than happy to admit it that England deserve to be number 2 in the world. However, I expect this year's ashes to be very one sided.
Even, if we get thrashed, won't stop us being second in the world.

Who are the other contenders?

Pakistan have no strikeforce at the moment.

India, can't play away, powderpuff attack, copyright Silentstriker.

Sri Lanka, good time in England, but generally poor away.

South Africa, beaten home and away by England.

West Indies, can see a revival, but not there yet.

New Zealand, do they play tests anymore?

We're still a young side, and people like Cook, Bell and Panesar look like being decent test cricketers for many years to come.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
adharcric said:
Tbh they are overrated, but not as much as some would believe.
They're still considered second-best in the world. Are you contesting that they're second-best in the world?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
England-Australia is the oldest, of course it's the most traditional rivalry. If you're sick of it, don't watch.

Langeveldt

Soutie
GeraintIsMyHero said:
England-Australia is the oldest, of course it's the most traditional rivalry. If you're sick of it, don't watch.
Welcome back Dean, yeah I'm not too fussed about the Ashes, but there's no doubting it produces some fantastic cricket..

You can't manufacture an outstanding cricketing tradition.. The ICC could well make something up, put super in front of it, and it would be rubbish, but thats already been done.. The only reason Eng v Aus is so celebrated is because its just the best..

In all honesty SA v Aus should be the best, but thanks to our ineptitude, the Ashes is a far more mouthwatering contest

open365

International Vice-Captain
The ashes is only incredibly popular nowadays because England acctualy have a relaistic chance of beating the Aussies.

I don't remember England's last tour of Australia being anything special or over hyped.

Dravid

International Captain
As much as I love the Ashes and how much drama it creates, I would really love to see another series build up. India Pakistan have started to face of every year, but with the peace talks between India and Pakistan haulted, don't know how many more series we can see in the upcoming years.

Matches at Sharjah again should create some excitement.

adharcric

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
They're still considered second-best in the world. Are you contesting that they're second-best in the world?
Right now, they might be second-best in the world but that's mainly because the other contenders (India, South Africa and Pakistan) have all pulled off crap performances of late. Don't get me wrong, I definitely rate the English side highly and they may be #2 in the world, but they're not as good as some make it seem. The Ashes hype played it's part for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if they do very well in the Ashes, but I wouldn't be surprised if they fall flat on their faces either. In short, I'm just not sure about the English side yet.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Turbinator said:
No more like Australia vs "fill in any team".

England is not good and consistent enough to occupy the number 2 spot for long.
Remind us how many sides have won in SA, or gone to India with half a side and not lost the series?

Also remind us how many games pre-Ashes England had without defeat, then tell us how that isn't consistent?

adharcric

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Remind us how many sides have won in SA, or gone to India with half a side and not lost the series?

Also remind us how many games pre-Ashes England had without defeat, then tell us how that isn't consistent?
Remind us what the result was against Sri Lanka and against Pakistan in Pakistan?
Also remind us exactly how depleted the touring Pakistan side was, then tell us how that is consistent?

England are a solid test side, no doubt ...
... but the only reason they can be called clear #2 in the world is because the other contenders have been rubbish, not because England have been consistently brilliant.

Last edited:

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I do think England deserve to be No 2 in the World - IF India and/or Pakistan win in SA this winter they might have a case. As for the Ashes it will either be a one-sided win for Australia or a draw/one-Test England win (that's what I thought pre 2005) with what happens at the 'Gabba the key. If Australia win there it could be 3 or 4-0:( but a draw or England win...:D