• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England hypocryts

Dean

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Why is it that because England are really struggleing with ODI cricket at the moment that "One Day Cricket is not as important as Tests", one can't help thinking if England were #2 in the ODI rankings, and #8 in tests, suddenly it would be the other way round...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Dean said:
Why is it that because England are really struggleing with ODI cricket at the moment that "One Day Cricket is not as important as Tests", one can't help thinking if England were #2 in the ODI rankings, and #8 in tests, suddenly it would be the other way round...
You can think it but you would be wrong.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm not sure it strictly qualifies as hypocrisy.

We're far from alone in (generally) believing in the supremacy of the longer format either.

Dean

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
PhoenixFire said:
No way man. Test cricket is always going to be more popular than ODI cricket, whatever happens.
I agree with that, but the great teams, the all time great, are masters at both forms of the game and treat each game with the upmost importance (just look at the current Aussie team or Aussies of the last 10 years), every game is a must win, you can't say the same for the English, Sri Lankans, Indians... can you?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Dean said:
I agree with that, but the great teams, the all time great, are masters at both forms of the game and treat each game with the upmost importance (just look at the current Aussie team or Aussies of the last 10 years), every game is a must win, you can't say the same for the English, Sri Lankans, Indians... can you?
doesn't make England hypocitical though, just means were brad pitt at ODI's

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Dean said:

Taking the hypothetical situation to the extreme.

PY

International Coach
We certainly didn't say that ODIs were more important then I don't think, I can't remember any time in my lifetime where ODIs have been regarded as more important than Tests.

I don't think it hypocrisy, it's just a prioritisation by English fans. If you don't agree with it, enjoy the fact that your side is better than England and it won't affect your enjoyment.

andmark

International Captain
PhoenixFire said:
No way man. Test cricket is always going to be more popular than ODI cricket, whatever happens.
Still Dean does have a point but the ECB did Invent 20 20s to get children into cricket.

Dravid

International Captain
Take it like this, if England didn't care about ODI's, then there wouldn't be a single series with England that consist more than 3 ODI's.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Dravid said:
Take it like this, if England didn't care about ODI's, then there wouldn't be a single series with England that consist more than 3 ODI's.
There have been cases of opponents insisting on it as part of the schedule.

Also, they still want to improve and it still makes money. Extended series do this. ODIs may be the red-headed stepchild of English cricket but it is still family.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not sure which is more pitiful, starting a thread with such brain dead content or bothering to reply to it...................................oops I've just replied to it...........pass the cydrax.:-O

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dravid said:
Regardless of the view of ODI cricket, the ECB have a number of venues to keep happy, so giving them an ODI will pretty much guarantee a sell out, thus the county is happy.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Langeveldt said:
no they didn't, a marketing man sat in an office invented Twenty20 cricket..
A few circles say 20-20 was invented to target the United States.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Arjun said:
I'm pretty sure it was a penpusher challenged with increasing attendance in English domestic cricket, well he was pretty succesful...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
Well they did a bad job then as the US is the only country I know where 20/20 failed.

US Pro Cricket lasted one difficult season.