• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Vermeulen. Still Crazy?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Wonder how damaging this will be to the growth of development players in Zim..

Nuts, missed the Vermeulen bit.. But we know he has a fiery temper..

When I read that it was one of the most amazing things ive ever heard a cricketer being accused of if he has done it is just plain stupid and outright dumb even worse than actually no word can describe it.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Goughy said:
Have people read this? What do they think?

http://content-rsa.cricinfo.com/zimbabwe/content/current/story/266481.html

Can Mark Vermeulen really be involved and that stupid or is it more likely to be a Zim cricket cover-up and falsification?
It's quite possible, although things have obviously gotten very serious for some of these players, with allegations that their safety (and in some cases, that of their families) has been threatened, and careers being effectively ended via political cronyism. Who knows what's going on behind the scenes?

Don't know what to think - obviously Vermeulen is a bit of a hothead, but this is a very serious accusation.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Langeveldt said:
Wonder how damaging this will be to the growth of development players in Zim..

Nuts, missed the Vermeulen bit.. But we know he has a fiery temper..

I wonder if he'll try and qualify for English citizenship so he can play in the Ashes.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Ozias Bvute, the board's managing director, said that Mark Vermelen, the former Zimbabwe Test batsman, was helping police with their inquiries. "Someone was seen driving away from the scene of the fire," Bvute told Reuters. "I understand he [Vermeulen] has been taken in for questioning by the police in connection with the fire."
It's either one of two things:

1) He's done it.

2) He saw who did.

Nothing to indicate that he's the chief suspect, or anything. "Helping Police with their inquiries" can mean anything form literally helping them out with info or being grilled for doing it, I guess.

Have to wait and see.

Chubb

International Regular
It's absolutely terrible the Academy has been burnt down, it was an extremely successful initiative and a testament to Houghton's dedication to Zimbabwean cricket. I can't think of a snigle player whose made his debut for Zim since it was founded who hasn't spent a year there, unless you count Ewing who was expelled for being too fat.

I can't believe Mark would do it, I know he's got a reputation but this is something else. It might have been someone working for Themba Mliswa, who has become ostracised in the Board. Mliswa is certainly capable of such an action.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
NZTailender said:
I wonder if he'll try and qualify for English citizenship so he can play in the Ashes.
I'm not sure, but it's certain he'll be back one day. Like a phoenix from the flames.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I feel sorry for him when he came on the scene he looked the best Zim batsman since Andy Flower but one Irfan Pathan's bouncer later he was just not the same player.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Wow. Surreal is the only word I can think of.

Feel for Vermeulen, guilty or otherwise I can't imagine a Zimbabwe nick is a place where it's much fun to spend any time in, especially as a high-profile white sportsman.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Xuhaib said:
I feel sorry for him when he came on the scene he looked the best Zim batsman since Andy Flower but one Irfan Pathan's bouncer later he was just not the same player.

LOL, he's never played India in a test match and I think only faced Pathan once?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
LOL, he's never played India in a test match and I think only faced Pathan once?
Faced Pathan a couple of times in ODI’s, last time round Mark left the field with a hairline fracture to his skull (his second in the space of year). Maybe that's the reason his crazy?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
TT Boy said:
Faced Pathan a couple of times in ODI’s, last time round Mark left the field with a hairline fracture to his skull (his second in the space of year). Maybe that's the reason his crazy?
Is there anything more embarrassing than getting hit in the head from a bouncer from IRFAN PATHAN?

I'd rather get hit by a bouncer from Warne.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
silentstriker said:
Is there anything more embarrassing than getting hit in the head from a bouncer from IRFAN PATHAN?

Thats just what I was thinking. Maybe from somebody like Chris Harris or Kevin Dean.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:

A fractured skull is still a fractured skull. Whether bowled by Pathan, Warne, Shane Bond, Chris Harris or Patrick Patterson it still hurts and can potentially kill you.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
silentstriker said:

Irfan was bowling 135-140 around that period.