• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Box or helmet?

shortpitched713

International Captain
Box. If you have good technique, then you don't need a helmet. Ahh, who am I kidding, I'd get bounced by the first decent fast bowler I faced. :(

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I remember once when I was padding up ready to go out to bat I couldn't find my box (slipped out of my bag when taking it out of the car, and I had gotten a lift from my brother that day). The game was already far beyond us when it was my turn to bat so I sent in a mate to bat ahead of me (was not keen at all at batting without my box) but eventually I had to go in.

My luck got worse when they brought on their fastest bowler as soon as I came in. I crapped my pants then, was really **** nervous but just kept telling myself to go forward no matter what. Luckily for me he didn't bowl too good a line, was fairly erratic with not many at the body or straight at all. Once he went out of the attack it was spinners and medium pacers, and I had my eye in and forgot I wasn't wearing one. Batted decently in the end with 21*, but for the first couple of overs I really was not comfortable at all.

I reckon in terms of feeling comfortable at the wicket, a box is more important for myself. A helmet however would probably limit my shots though, as I would never be willing to sweep (through fear of hitting my face with a top edge) or hook (not that I have any resemblance of a good hook shot anyway).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Box. I'm lead to believe false teeth are much more effective than prosthetic knackers.

A coupla times I've worn one in the box and it's made me feel slightly sick afterwards, dread to think how bad it woulda been without.

deeps

International 12th Man
Using the bowling machine once, i got hit in the box. It broke the box, had an indent in it and the plastic was broke...

If that wasn't there, i woudl most certainly have died... if not from the impact, from the pain.

Helmet... it is protecting something very important obviously, but natural instict usually manages to somehow get your head out of the way (most of the time).. .sure, there are occasions when you won't manage to get out of the way, but yeh..

And finally, the most important thing i think.. I'd want a box against any sort of bowling, spin, fast, medium or whatever. I wouldn't need a helmet against anything besides fast.

I do use a hlemet almost all the time now, but i would be fine not having one against a spinner or a medium pacer... I don't sweep all that often.

The reason i started wearing a helmet: Played a pullshot off a quickish bowler, top edged it,and saw it miss my face by a matter of millimeters.

Until then i thought i could trust my instincts to get out of the way..then i realised a top edge gives you no time to react and avoid.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Difficult question. I've never gone out to bat without a box, but have without a helmet. I'd also rather suffer head injuries than a blow to the groin. Suppose if the bowlers were fast enough to threaten my brain function then I'd probably go with the helmet. Always wondered how much effect the box has, it still hurts. Keeping up to the stumps this year, a batsman got a bottom edge straight into the ground then the ball bounced back up off the hard pitch and got under the box. Don't want to experience that again. Still probably take the box unless my life was at stake.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Helmet. Seeing as how I can hit straight drives with my member, I don't quite see the need for a box, or a bat for that matter.

Chris Riddell

Cricket Spectator
Box, most definately. I've seen the aftermath.

Our captain (bless him) went out to open, against the quicks. He forgot his box.
5 balls in, THWACK, he's down. It takes 5 minutes for him to crawl off (of course we were not going to help him, we are too busy drinking).

After throwing up alcohol, food and blood for 15 minutes, he went out to bat again. THWACK, 2 balls later he's down again.

After throwing up for another 15 minutes, we carted him off to hospital, and he was diagnosed with nerve damage in the left testicle, facing the prospect of losing it.

adharcric

International Coach
Chris Riddell said:
Box, most definately. I've seen the aftermath.

Our captain (bless him) went out to open, against the quicks. He forgot his box.
5 balls in, THWACK, he's down. It takes 5 minutes for him to crawl off (of course we were not going to help him, we are too busy drinking).

After throwing up alcohol, food and blood for 15 minutes, he went out to bat again. THWACK, 2 balls later he's down again.

After throwing up for another 15 minutes, we carted him off to hospital, and he was diagnosed with nerve damage in the left testicle, facing the prospect of losing it.
Considering your captain was batting drunk and didn't learn after the first instance, is it fair to say that he's a ******** idiot? :unsure:

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
A box, no point protecting my massive head, im always getting blows to it. On friday, i was wallopped by a dodgeball, in the temple