• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Highest paid cricketers?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
a massive zebra said:
Chris Adams was on £120k at Sussex in 2005 - more than almost any other English county player for some reason.
Presumably even more now with him signing for Yorks. Ain't going for the weather, is he?!

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
silentstriker said:
You have to understand - this is not a reflection of their skill. India is just the biggest market.

In fact, I would venture to say that Irfan Pathan made more last year than Shane Warne (though I am not 100% sure on that). Dhoni, I think, definitely did.
Yeah, the market place must be the biggest factor.

There was an article in the papers over here a month or so back saying Freddie Flintoff has built up an impressive property portfolio in England, Spain and the Caribbean.

Just on Dhoni, and I don't want to cause offence here. I've looked at his stats on CricInfo. His ODI record is good, his test record is moderate as a batsman. Why all the fuss? Is he seen as predominently a ODI player or does he have a long-term future in both forms of the game? He certainly hits the ball hard, but I haven't seen a real lot of him. Any thoughts?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
a massive zebra said:
Chris Adams was on £120k at Sussex in 2005 - more than almost any other English county player for some reason.
Of course, his record with Sussex was terrible wasn't it...

a massive zebra

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Of course, his record with Sussex was terrible wasn't it...
Of course it was not and he has obviously done a good job in leading them to two championships, but his record/achievements do not merit a salary in excess of that provided to mighty county batsmen like Hick or Ramprakash.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Burgey said:
Just on Dhoni, and I don't want to cause offence here. I've looked at his stats on CricInfo. His ODI record is good, his test record is moderate as a batsman. Why all the fuss? Is he seen as predominently a ODI player or does he have a long-term future in both forms of the game? He certainly hits the ball hard, but I haven't seen a real lot of him. Any thoughts?
Thats your reason right here. A lot of people don't follow the game at a deep (i.e test) level so when they saw his knock of 183, people went crazy. He had a string of high profile hundreds (plus he has long hair), and he hits lots of sixes.

Believe it or not, thats why Tendulkar got so much money and why Kumble barely makes ANY (comparatively). Even though Kumble has scripted more wins for India than Tendulkar or Dravid.

Kumble makes about 1/17 of what Tendulkar makes...imagine that, heh.

Dravid

International Captain
silentstriker said:
You have to understand - this is not a reflection of their skill. India is just the biggest market.

In fact, I would venture to say that Irfan Pathan made more last year than Shane Warne (though I am not 100% sure on that). Dhoni, I think, definitely did.
Dhoni was sponsered all over India. Man must have made millions and millions of dollars after hitting his 183

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Flintoff's a top celebrity now, his wealth will surely grow and grow in the next couple of years.

andmark

International Captain
silentstriker said:
I assume the total money earned by cricketers is highest for Indian players, though with the rupee weak compared to many other nations, others might be close.

Anyone have any idea how much cricketers from all the nations make (including endorsements)?

I know Sachin Tendulkar makes around $13.5million - $14million USD. So thats a decent wage in any sport, and though it doesn't compare to the Schumasters and Woods of the world, its a good wage for any player. I am wondering how other cricketers (especially non-Indian ones) fare?
Thats a of lot money!!!!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
aussie said:
anyone know's how much Brian Lara earns?
This is purely from memory but a magazine rated his earnings a year or so back at about $4-5 million USD /year. So about 1/3 Sachin.

Though I couldn't find anything to substantiate this claim, so I cannot speak to its accuracy.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
a massive zebra said:
Of course it was not and he has obviously done a good job in leading them to two championships, but his record/achievements do not merit a salary in excess of that provided to mighty county batsmen like Hick or Ramprakash.
Why not?

His leadership adds a heck of a lot to Sussex, hence the 4 trophies in very recent times.

a massive zebra

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Why not?

His leadership adds a heck of a lot to Sussex, hence the 4 trophies in very recent times.
Are you seriously telling me that you would prefer to have Adams in your county side than Mark Ramprakash or the Graeme Hick of a few years back.