• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How come English can't bat?

aussie tragic

International Captain
The last English batsman to average > 50.00 over their career was Barrington, who played his last test in 1968.

Why do English struggle to find players that can average 50 while other countries have several in the same team (e.g Dravid, Sewag & Tendulkar; Hayden, Ponting & Hussey; Inzy & Yousuf, Kallis & Smith)......

PY

International Coach
One answer is England have been/are rubbish in the period you talk of.

One of my reasons is the nature of English pitches and assistance for bowlers.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PY said:
One answer is England have been/are rubbish in the period you talk of.

So how many English bowlers have averaged >25 with the ball in that period?

aussie tragic

International Captain
PY said:
Then how come Aussie bits n pieces players like Cameron White, Ian Harvey and Andy Bichel can come to England and all of a sudden become leading batsmen in county cricket? Also, Hussey and Lehman were almost Bradmanesque in England and yet couldn't get into the Aussie test side?

Last edited:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
KP has got a golden run going. He might end with an average of >50 if he can work out a few kinks in his batting.

aussie tragic

International Captain
nightprowler10 said:
KP has got a golden run going. He might end with an average of >50 if he can work out a few kinks in his batting.
I don't think he'll end his career in the 50's but anyway, he's South African not English :)

PY

International Coach
aussie tragic said:
The how come Aussie bits n pieces players like Cameron White, Ian Harvey and Andy Bichel can come to England and all of a sudden become leading batsmen in county cricket? Also, Hussey and Lehman were almost Bradmanesque in England and yet couldn't get into the Aussie test side?
I'm talking about other teams with far superior bowlers coming here and destroying English batsmen averages. Example being the WI domination. Courtney and Curtley managed 175 wickets in England at an average between 20-24, and in 2000 took 51 wickets at an average of about 14. Yes England were crap but that series was notoriously low-scoring.

County references are irrelevant as you won't find a sober/sane person saying that the CC is of the highest quality.

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
PY said:
I'm talking about other teams with far superior bowlers coming here and destroying English batsmen averages. Example being the WI domination.
For almost 50 years......as before Barrington there was only Compton who retired in 1957 and Hutton in 1955?

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
aussie tragic said:
For almost 50 years as before Barrington there was only Compton who retired in 1957 and Hutton in 1955?
Guess you just want me to say England are crap? :p

aussie tragic

International Captain
PY said:
Guess you just want me to say England are crap? :p
No, I really wonder why so many English players average in the 30's and low 40's, however I'll take "the English are crap" :)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
aussie tragic said:
No, I really wonder why so many English players average in the 30's and low 40's, however I'll take "the English are crap" :)
Maybe they give too much importance on technique and don't let players just be themselves during age groups etc.

Dravid

International Captain
Would love to see a ODI match between England and USA. Would be a tight contest.

aussie tragic

International Captain
silentstriker said:
So how many English bowlers have averaged >25 with the ball in that period?
No English bowler has had a career average of < 25 since Statham and Truman retired in 1965. So it appears they can't bat or bowl :)

Edit: Bob Willis was close as he averaged 25.20

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
aussie tragic said:
Then how come Aussie bits n pieces players like Cameron White, Ian Harvey and Andy Bichel can come to England and all of a sudden become leading batsmen in county cricket? Also, Hussey and Lehman were almost Bradmanesque in England and yet couldn't get into the Aussie test side?
It could be that by the time the Australian journeymen reach County Cricket they've already harnessed their technique on better pitches and are able to treat the poor standard of bowling with contempt. I think some of the current England players would be capable of being just as prolific in County Cricket if they were allowed to play.
In our entire history England have had few genuinely great batsman which you would call really special like a Richards, Lara, Tendulkar, Chappell or Pollock.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Lillian Thomson said:
In our entire history England have had few genuinely great batsman which you would call really special like a Richards, Lara, Tendulkar, Chappell or Pollock.
I think you're being a bit harsh on Hammond, Barrington, Hutton, Sutcliffe, Hobbs & Compton....