• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How come English can't bat?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Kweek said:
and how is not being able to bat, with a team full of guys avging 40s
i'd say that englands lack of good bowlers is a bigger problem then there batting.

Every side has a team full of batsman averaging 40's. In fact, those who don't average in the 40's (*COUGH* SINGH/KAIF *COUGH*) should be dropped.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
just face it, England has been really poor over the last few decades....there biggest problem being inconsistant I think.
but this crop of players playing cricket at the moment, most definetely have the quality to average around 50.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Kweek said:
oke maybe India was bad example.

Pakistan bar Inzi
Yousuf and Younis is just a fraction away. Also Miandad from the recent past.

As for SRL, Jayawardane is just a fraction away.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Kweek said:
oke maybe India was bad example.

Pakistan bar Inzi
Mohammad Yousuf (53.12) and few decent scores against the West Indies and Younis Khan will be averaging more than fifty.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
So is Pietersen, so is Ian Bell
a good ashes and they both will average 50....

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Kweek said:
So is Pietersen, so is Ian Bell
a good ashes and they both will average 50....
Pietersen and Bell are more than a fraction away from 50. And Bell's average is bloated thanks to some crap bowling by the Pakistanis. And having a good Ashes is nowhere near as easy as having a good series against WI. Not making any predictions though...

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
or maybe Pakistan is just crap?
wait if Pakistan is crap, isnt Test cricket crap overall ?

FC>Test then, look at Tresco's average.
Pietersen proved a good Ashes is very do-able...

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Kweek said:
or maybe Pakistan is just crap?
wait if Pakistan is crap, isnt Test cricket crap overall ?

FC>Test then, look at Tresco's average.
Pietersen proved a good Ashes is very do-able...
You completely lost me there. Of course its doable, but not easy by any means, especially on Aussie pitches.

Pakistan's bowling was crap in the recent test series until the last match. I thought that was quite obvious. KP played well even when Pakistanis were bowling well, Bell didn't, which is why I think his average is bloated. Also, how many knocks did he play under pressure situations. I thought Strauss and KP were the best English batsmen out of that series.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie tragic said:
Then how come Aussie bits n pieces players like Cameron White, Ian Harvey and Andy Bichel can come to England and all of a sudden become leading batsmen in county cricket? Also, Hussey and Lehman were almost Bradmanesque in England and yet couldn't get into the Aussie test side?
It's County Cricket, that's how come.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
PhoenixFire said:
My point was to the person who said that in the entire history of English cricket, there have been very few 'Great' players. I quite agree with your point about having few since Boycott.
I didn't say there have been few "Great" players, I was referring to extra special players in the Richards category and that list you threw up proves the point. There is nothing extra special about players like Gooch and Mead.:laugh:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
nightprowler10 said:
And Bell's average is bloated thanks to some crap bowling by the Pakistanis....
Bell's average is bloated by the bucket load of unbeaten runs he made against Zimbabwe at the beginning of last summer before being exposed by Australia.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Lillian Thomson said:
Bell's average is bloated by the bucket load of unbeaten runs he made against Zimbabwe at the beginning of last summer before being exposed by Australia.
Wrong minnow, but fair point.

I think it's fair to say he has made some progress, but do wonder if he has enough about him mentally to be really effective in Oz.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Kweek, just face it, we're rubbish when it coems to churning out batsman that will average 50 or more.

Out of the current crop, KP is most likely, and lets face it, he's South African.

Even out old batting heros didn't average 50, Gooch was 44 i think, and Boycott was 47 IIRR, and these are two of our best batsmen in the last 40 years.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
a massive zebra said:
Please expand.
The level of bowler in County Cricket is considerably lower than the level of bowler in Test Cricket.

A successful county bowler can average 23-24 by keeping the ball in the right place and getting the batsmen to make mistakes, yet funnily enough when they try that in Tests, it doesn't work...

a massive zebra

International Captain
If that is the case then how come Shane Warne has struggled to average the figure you suggest is achievable just by putting the ball in the right place?

Last edited: