• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shoaib 2, Asif 1. Both banned

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Both Ban's seem fair IMO. Akhtar did nothing to help his cause by refusing to tests, and refusing to name the medicines & those who gave them to him. His attitude imo was not that of an entirely innocent man.

Feel a little sympathy for Asif, but still, the onus is on him to make sure he knows what he's taking, and whether or not it's a banned substance. Ignorance should be no excuse

Overall, the PCB must be commended for penalising both men, as it would've been just as easy to sweep the whole issue under the carpet, especially seeing as they were star players.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sad indeed, but it is their just desserts, I feel. And I agree with Boybrumby, Akhtar's explanation is only slightly less convincing than Warney's was. Warne was extremely lucky with the ban that he got.

PakPowered

School Boy/Girl Captain
FRAZ said:
Shoaib should have been given a year ban MAX and I guess Asif's ban should be reduced a bit cuz the guy has been a toy in the hands of some people (My assumption) . His Knowledge is limited IMHO .
Akhtar's 2 year ban is completely justified, its clear that he pretty much knew what he was doing.He had been giving the names of all the banned drugs and have priviously been dope tested twice (was negative each time) so he pretty much knew about it.The fact that he wasn't keen on being tested for doping shows that he knew he would get into trouble.

Asif case is different, he was never briefed about the banned drugs by the incompetent PCB official, and considering he isn't much educated it more than likely that he took the medicine not knowing that it was something that was banned by ICC.Also Asif didn't hide this from his physiotherapist and when the physiotherapist told him to stop taking the drug he immidiately stop taking it.Asif is also siad to be the first guy who willingly went ahead for the doping test.

I think Asif's one year ban wasn't justified , as it was the failure off PCB official in not briefing him about the banned drugs in his case than anything else.But than again it would have looked rather stange if Asif had been sentence anything less than a year ban when at the same time Akhtar was being sentenced two year ban for taking the same drug

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I was pleaently surprised Pakistan did this (how many people would trust a country to punish their own players) but they were right. Shoaib should know better and they've obviously took account of Asif's inexperience in giving him the lesser sentence. Still think SK Warne should have got 2 years too...And you can argue Asif will be the bigger loss. He is promising whereas Shoaib is devastaing IF he's in the mood - which isn't very often. Ask Durham and Worcestershire members -and remember the Test v India in 2004 when he said he was unfit to bowl when Pakistan really needed him - and then, if my memory is right batted without a runner when the Test was already lost. Strange...

FRAZ said:
Huh , May be Judges wanted some popularity by setting an example by banning Shoaib for such a long time . I guess banning them for 5-10 matches was enough and if found guilty again then I don't have any problem with the life ban .
I agree with u.Both of them have been banned just to bow heads even further in Gora Ghulami & a try to prove that they(Pakistani authorities) don't encourage the cheaters.If they don't ban cheats(Stewart,M.Waugh,Warne),why should we asians? Azharuddin & Salim Malik are also paying for being asians & their bans should also be taken off.

And those people who r saying that Shoaib & Asif's bans are justified are no wellwishers of Pakistan Cricket.

Last edited:

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
Asif makes is sound like he was taking over the counter protein supplement, does this mean the whey proteins sold at GNC and other health stores have the ban substance too ????

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
nightprowler10 said:
Their bans are justified. Warne's wasn't, as he should've gotten a longer ban, IMO.
How so?, from what i remember of what Hollywood said about the drugs being in his system, 1 year was good enough.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
maxpower said:
Asif makes is sound like he was taking over the counter protein supplement, does this mean the whey proteins sold at GNC and other health stores have the ban substance too ????
Yes, many of them in fact do.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FRAZ said:
Shoaib should have been given a year ban MAX and I guess Asif's ban should be reduced a bit cuz the guy has been a toy in the hands of some people (My assumption) . His Knowledge is limited IMHO .
Based on what should the bans be lower?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Xuhaib said:
He is an illiterate villager, I am sure you are aware how naive are these guys in our parts of the world.
He's been in FC Cricket for 6 years or so - he cannot be *that* naive...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BhupinderSingh said:
I agree with u.Both of them have been banned just to bow heads even further in Gora Ghulami & a try to prove that they(Pakistani authorities) don't encourage the cheaters.If they don't ban cheats(Stewart,M.Waugh,Warne),why should we asians? Azharuddin & Salim Malik are also paying for being asians & their bans should also be taken off.
And you have conclusive proof that Stewart, Waugh and Warne all cheated don't you - because if so, why don't you share it with the world?

FRAZ

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Based on what should the bans be lower?
Shane Warne ! And first offense I guess . And the investigation did not check the root cause of the problem properly .

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FRAZ said:
Shane Warne ! And first offense I guess.
Those 2 reasons contradict each other (not to mention the actual drugs tested positive (and the codes in place at the time))

FRAZ said:
And the investigation did not check the root cause of the problem properly .
What do you mean by that?!

FRAZ

International Captain
BhupinderSingh said:

And those people who r saying that Shoaib & Asif's bans are justified are no wellwishers of Pakistan Cricket.
I guess there should have been some proper internal discussions and they should not have taken their nappys off completely towards the direction where the sun sets ! I don't know who is their God and why are they making so many sacrifices e.g. sacrificing almost won tests to the devtas. This is the basic problem and it will still be there . How come Hair was still there after repeated mistakes .It won't change until the defensive and sick 2 $ 30 c mentality is not changed . Pathetic clowns I would say ! Pu$$ys !

Xuhaib

International Coach
marc71178 said:
He's been in FC Cricket for 6 years or so - he cannot be *that* naive...
98% of the people involved in our FC cricket are also iliterate villagers, so for the past 6 years this naive cricketer has been surrounded by more naive people.

Dravid

International Captain
Xuhaib said:
98% of the people involved in our FC cricket are also iliterate villagers, so for the past 6 years this naive cricketer has been surrounded by more naive people.
Playing FC would surely get you out of the village and into the real world no? Or are they going to play Cricket in the villages too?

Last edited: