Thread: HJ Marshall

abu
    Banned

HJ Marshall

ok seriously why is he in the NZ team?. If you look at his batting average over the last 25 innings he is average 16 with only one score of 50. During the begining of his career he was average near 50 in his first 20 innings or so, in the last 2 years or so his average has dropped so badly and the main thing is he is not even an all rounder he is a pure batsmen and he is average only 16

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    He is the love child of the kiwi coach. Simple enough.

He's a pretty good fielder. Pretty much the only thing goin for him really

Not too long ago, Hamish Marshall and then Lou Vincent were hailed as NZ's top batsmen, and now both are struggling. Except Fleming and Astle, none of them have been consistent. The question is, what do you do with them? Once, Marshall was a lynchpin and now he's a liability.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Actually sat down and tried to watch him properly from a technical perspective this afternoon. Unfortunately he got out too quickly.

His balance/footwork just didn't seem to click - his dismissal shot he was on his tiptoes, virtually off the ground but stuck on the crease and reaching well outside off to McGrath. No wonder he nicked it...
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Cricket Web XI Moderator lord_of_darkness's Avatar
    question is what do you replace him with ..

i think the unnoticed rule in nz cricket for a squad of 15 is atleast 1 player has to be fluffly haired .. 1 player has to be ginger and 1 has to be a token.. a minimum combination of 2 is the quota.
    Don L-o-d , Legion Of Doom

Lords Lounge, Off Topic, The Happening Place in CW and OT.

Co Chairman CWBCC - Cricketweb XI - CW Green | Manager of Hampshire CC - Wccc | Chairman of the Muralitharan Supporters Club ~MSC~ |

Current Stats:
    2* - 17-4-35-3 - Season Ends..

Current Record
    Batting - RHB: M:48 Inns:43 Runs:457 H/S:33* Ave:15.5 N.O:10
    Bowling - Off Spin: O:280 M:40 Runs:975 Wickets:104 Ave:9.3 S.R:15.6

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Here's a chance for Neil - he could become NZ qualified and kill 2 birds with one stone - the token Ginger!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Jeetan should have been playing instead of franklin, now theres a waste of space if i ever saw one

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    I don't understand why everyone seems to hate Franklin so much. ok, so maybe he's not an ideal ODI bowler and Patel is better for the balance of the team, but he's not THAT bad. He's the second best test seamer in the country (and the best one who's normally available), and a competent bat as well.

He is, and I think he should be an almost automatic selection in the test team. But I don't think he offers much in ODIs since he relies on swing movement and, bowling first change as he currently does, there isn't usually very much for him and as a result he's wayward and expensive.

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry
    I don't understand why everyone seems to hate Franklin so much. ok, so maybe he's not an ideal ODI bowler and Patel is better for the balance of the team, but he's not THAT bad. He's the second best test seamer in the country (and the best one who's normally available), and a competent bat as well.
    Agree. It's the MO of the typical NZ cricket supporter to latch on to one or two players and hate them with a burning fury for no particular reason.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Exactly, we do it so well and we do it to rugby players aswell. Admittedly Marshall has not performed well but if his county form is anything to go by then he should be an automatic selection for the Test series against SL. I still don't know why he is being selected in the ODI team though because he has never really looked like a good enough batsman in the limited overs form of the game. Ross Taylor, Jamie How and Jesse Ryder are all three players that could possibly replace Marshall in the team. I've named those three players without even doing some research into other possible options.

Oh and he's still in the ODI team because there is some chemistry between him and Bracewell. Definite chemistry.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    I don't want to sound like leader of the James Franklin fanclub or anything, but I think the whole inaccuracy issue is a bit overstated. You can't be relatively successful as a test bowler over the course of your first 20 tests if you're spraying it all over the place. Furthermore, people keep going on about him "lacking pace", which is absolute nonsense as he was bowling over 140kph in some of ODIs against the Windies at the start of the year. Franklin is a competent international bowler and it isn't such a stretch that he might be able to bowl in ODIs if he adjusted his length and line appropriately (and dare I say it, copy Kyle Mills!).

He probably doesn't deserve his place in the ODI team atm, but it's in the best interests of NZ cricket to keep persisting with Franklin in the national set-up.

Thread Information