• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which team's alltime XI is best?

Which alltime XI would enjoy the most success against its counterparts?

• Total voters

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Wow i must say that Im very surprised with the outcome of this series but nevertheless here are my 2 cents:

Test Venues:
1st Sabina (Jamaica) Bouncy Wicket
2nd Bourda (guyana) Flat Wicket
3rd QPO (Trinidad) Uneven bounce
4th Kensington Oval (Barbados) Bouncy Wicket
5th ARG (Antigua) Flat Wicket

Those have been the traditional WI test venues for the last few years and their traditional playing conditions.

I think the Wi squad might need a serious shake up for the return series given the record of at home. As for Australia, i wood be very hesistant to walk with a spinner as none ofthe pitches (maybe trinidad) in the Wi really favor spin plus i cant think of an Austraia spinner who had a great record in the Caribbean.
Switch Bourda and ARG.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Australia
Here is the squad that seems to be favored by the selectors ...
Simpson, Hayden, Trumper/Morris/Ponsford/other/nobody, Bradman, Chappell, Ponting, Waugh, Border, Gilchrist, Miller, McGrath, Lillee, Spofforth, Davidson, Lindwall, Warne

Aussie selectors, please make up your mind on the final place in the squad.

West Indies
Hunte, Haynes, Greenidge, Richards, Headley, Lara, Weekes, Sobers, Walcott, Dujon, Marshall, Ambrose, Garner, Holding, Walsh, Gibbs

Any changes to this squad?
Greenidge and Gibbs out. Worrell and Roberts in.

Slifer

International Captain
Would it be that bad if you chose some of the new venues for this series is Providence Stadium in Guyana & SVR Stadium in Antigua.

For all those so called selectors/organisers of this all-time series after you are done with the windies/australia, India vs Pakistan would be a superb series to have.
the reason y i didnt choose ne of the newer venues is because none, if ne, tests at all have been played on these new grounds. hence, one hasnt been able to develop an idea of how exactly these pitches wood play over a 5 day test. The grounds i listed r those used traditionally for tests (over the last 25 years or so) and each one has shown its own unique character.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Wawaweewaaaaaaaaaa....sorry, the game has lost all credibility for me. Bradman with 0 tonnes? Average of a few ticks over 50? Was it bodyline per chance? :laugh:

Onto the Caribbean, where Hayden is looking for a worthy partner - Langer? :ph34r:. I think/hope Australia's middle order steps up and the bowlers make the difference in a match or two...or three. :laugh:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Ponsford's lack of success against express bowling doesn't show up statistically, so I've got no problem with him joining the touring squad.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
yeah, thanks, but to be more specific, I want to know which of the guys from the all time XI do u think would have had a lot of difficulty against the spinners of the all time Aussie XI?

I mean, Warne and Tiger can get a number of these batters out, but how many do you really think will have TROUBLE against the spinners? I am just curious because when I was growing up, my folks used to tell me that the West Indian batsmen were too good against all types of bowling and they especially told me that they would really MURDER the spinners.... You can understand why I would be surprised when so many of you guys (who have seen them play) talk about their "weakness" against spin.... Especially, how good/bad was IVAR against the quality spinners? Also, Clive Lloyd and Greenidge, I just want to know how these guys went against the best spinners of their era?

I am not a big one for stats and that is why I want some subjective and qualitative info from guys like you, who have seen them play.... Hope I am not being a bore here.... :)
I think that the West Indians have often been fairly one dimensional in how they played against the spinners. Many of them tried to hit them long and hard; lacking the touch of the Indians when facing spinners. It tended to work most of the time, but supposedly also often came unstuck, and not always against the highest quality spinners.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Who appointed the ex-English selectors as the Australian selectors? Keep the faith people, don't chop and change the batting order as much this time!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wawaweewaaaaaaaaaa....sorry, the game has lost all credibility for me. Bradman with 0 tonnes? Average of a few ticks over 50? Was it bodyline per chance? :laugh:
How often did Bradman face attacks in his career the quality of the simulated one though? I'm guessing 0.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Haha, I don't think they did all that bad a job. Just seemed to chop and change it too much early on for no reason. Pick your team and have some faith.

adharcric

International Coach
You can still join the committee though. Doesn't hurt to have another opinion. ;)

Well, I think it's tough with the Aussie middle-order having so many deserving candidates who are difficult to separate.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
How often did Bradman face attacks in his career the quality of the simulated one though? I'm guessing 0.
Yes, but in how many series did Bradman make that many 50s without going on to make a 100? I think that's the part of the genius of the man; his mental side must have been phenomenal to have such a conversion rate. That's more than just being ridiculously talented.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
And that evens out with his average dropping to 50? Really, it's pushing it when Conrad Hunte who hadn't averaged even 50 is somewhere in the 70s. Bradman is the best cricket player - or let's just say batsman - by a country mile. The average is one part of it, the lack of centuries the other. How many test series did Bradman go without a century? I'm guessing 0 there too.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
Just feel Greenidge hasn't been up to par and Worrell deserves a shot. Wouldn't be averse to Greenidge having another chance though.
Fair enough but I think it would be unfair to sneak Worrell (with his high average) in as an opener. He's not really an opener.

adharcric

International Coach
Hmm, perhaps it was. Besides, I'm sure Marshall/Ambrose/Holding/Garner are far, far more threatening than Larwood and co.

adharcric

International Coach
Australia in West Indies

Australia
Simpson, Hayden, Ponsford, Bradman, Chappell, Ponting, Waugh, Border, Gilchrist, Miller, McGrath, Lillee, Spofforth, Davidson, Lindwall, Warne

West Indies
Hunte, Haynes, Greenidge, Richards, Headley, Lara, Weekes, Sobers, Walcott, Dujon, Marshall, Ambrose, Garner, Holding, Walsh, Roberts

Here are the venues with traditional pitch conditions ...

1st Test - Sabina Park (Jamaica) - extra pace and bounce
2nd Test - Antigua Recreation Ground (Antigua) - flat wicket
3rd Test - Queen's Park Oval (Trinidad) - uneven bounce
4th Test - Kensington Oval (Barbados) - pace and bounce
5th Test - Bourda (Guyana) - flat wicket

Let's get those XIs finalized for the first test at Sabina Park.

Last edited: