• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which team's alltime XI is best?

Which alltime XI would enjoy the most success against its counterparts?

• Total voters

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Happy with the team Matt has picked for the Aussies - very similar to mine, though against such a pace attack I'd be loathe to leave out such a great player of fast bowling as Punter.

No problem with Lindwall in for O'Reilly - Davo could come in for either of them too and the side would lose nothing.

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
I know stats don't always tell the story but looking at the ICC ratings my Aussie side would be with top rating and av. (then bowling rating) (Since the almagated side would be players at their career peak.) Working on 2 openers, 4 middle order, keeper and 4 bowlers (including 1 spinner.)

Hayden 935 53
Lawry 878 47
Bradman 961 99
Ponting 942 59
N Harvey 921 48
Walters 922 48 (367)
Gilchrist 874 49
Davidson 526 24 (908)
Lindwall 433 21 (897)
Warne 348 17 (905)
McGrath 123 7 (914)

O'Reilly and Grimmett both on 901 are both options on a spinning deck.
W Johnston 146 11 (900) probably should have Lindwall's place but 3 ranting points compared to their batting difference decided it for me (although the left arm pace and spin that Johnston gave could be handy.). Lillee came in at 884.
S Waugh is marginally behind Walters on batting but marginally ahead in bolwing at 895 (397). The only other option would K Miller for Walters or Harvey at 681 (862) giving a true fifth bowler without sacificing too much in the batting.
Even most feilding spots covered, Warne at 1 slip, Hayden at Gully, Ponting and Harvey cover/midwicket. (Although it is only IMHO a year or two before Hussey will be in the team probably at Harvey's expense.)

As for WI, I'm not as familiar...

Hunte 823 45
Greenidge 844 44
Richards 938 50
Headly 915 60
Weeks 927 58
Sobers 938 57 (715)
Walcott 938 56
Marshall 375 18 (910)
Hall 283 15 (898)
Ambrose 229 12 (912)
Gibbs 133 7 (897)

Now Walcott only kept for his first 15 test, when he didn't bat as well, so that is cribbing a little. (Gilchrist has kept his whole career and I wonder how he would have gone without it). Given how famous Greenidge and Haynes were, WI major weakness is opening batting. Maybe Lara or someone can slide up the order. Warne has Gibbs as a spinner with both O'Reilly and Grimmett ahead as well.(Gibbs is WI fourth ranked bowler with Roberts as fifth at 891. Australia's tail (last 4) is markedly ahead in batting. Sobers is an advantage over Walters as the fifth bowler but Miller could be brought in Australia's batting rating aggregrate is 7863 to WI at 7305. (With Miller in the team Aus would drop to 7623 but Miller at 862 to Sobers 715 adds a top flight bowler and means I would definetely drop Lindwall for Johnston.)

My money on would be on Aus....

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Wes Hall not good enough. Awesome as he may have been others have better stats. Also, delete one of your posts.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I know stats don't always tell the story but looking at the ICC ratings my Aussie side would be with top rating and av. (then bowling rating) (Since the almagated side would be players at their career peak.) Working on 2 openers, 4 middle order, keeper and 4 bowlers (including 1 spinner.)

Hayden 935 53
Lawry 878 47
Bradman 961 99
Ponting 942 59
N Harvey 921 48
Walters 922 48 (367)
Gilchrist 874 49
Davidson 526 24 (908)
Lindwall 433 21 (897)
Warne 348 17 (905)
McGrath 123 7 (914)

O'Reilly and Grimmett both on 901 are both options on a spinning deck.
W Johnston 146 11 (900) probably should have Lindwall's place but 3 ranting points compared to their batting difference decided it for me (although the left arm pace and spin that Johnston gave could be handy.). Lillee came in at 884.
S Waugh is marginally behind Walters on batting but marginally ahead in bolwing at 895 (397). The only other option would K Miller for Walters or Harvey at 681 (862) giving a true fifth bowler without sacificing too much in the batting.
Even most feilding spots covered, Warne at 1 slip, Hayden at Gully, Ponting and Harvey cover/midwicket. (Although it is only IMHO a year or two before Hussey will be in the team probably at Harvey's expense.)
Colin McDonald hit a peak ICC rating of 891 - so if that's the basis for your selections then he should open with Haydos.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Wes Hall not good enough. Awesome as he may have been others have better stats. Also, delete one of your posts.
It's been based purely on peak ICC ratings, and Hall achieved a peak rating higher than any WI quick except for Marshall and Ambrose.

I wouldn't have Wes in the team either, but it's the right call considering the criteria that are being used.

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
The ICC stats are not just a single match form blip but take a couple of seasons to buildup, Hussey despite averaging 70 over 20 tests is still only in the 800's. Mind you it does seem to drag Bradman back a bit, is he really only about 40 points out of 960 better than Ponting? They do allow for a basis of comparing players between eras. My point is that this team is imaginery and if your going to drag players from different eras together you should pick players at their "peak" performance not their career average. Also people tend to pick players that they've seen over players from previous eras. The ICC stats also gave me an excuse to include a player as legendary as Walter's in the Aus team.

Last edited:

JBMAC

State Captain
It's been based purely on peak ICC ratings, and Hall achieved a peak rating higher than any WI quick except for Marshall and Ambrose.

I wouldn't have Wes in the team either, but it's the right call considering the criteria that are being used.

It's fairly obvious then that you have never faced Wes Hall.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's fairly obvious then that you have never faced Wes Hall.
So? You don't have to face a bowler or bowl to a batsman to judge how good he is. Obviously it does hope, but it could also induce (sp?) some bias.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think Australia, but readily admit I'm biased.

Would be extremely close between Aus & WI imo. I just can't get over the Bradman factor tbh. If it's a 3 or 5 test series, he might fail in 1 or at most 2 tests, but his influence would be huge.

Warne would also be a factor imo, especially if a large number of the WI side were batsmen from their golden era in the 80s.

Having said all that, the 4 WI quicks (if they went that way) would be amazing to watch.
Don't see Warne being too much of a factor with Lara there, tbh.

I think Windies will just nudge above Australia, even with Bradman....

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Don't see Warne being too much of a factor with Lara there, tbh.

I think Windies will just nudge above Australia, even with Bradman....
The others have to worry about Warne - golden 80's age being referred to. Lara has to be worried about McGrath ;).