• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Girls playing with boys?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I remember playing against a girl who is now playing for Vic Spirit, she was a pretty good left arm pace bowler. I think, though, that she ended up being allowed to play against boys when she was two years older than them, or something like that.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Belinda Clarke used to play in the A's for Carlingford Waratahs (my old club team as a junior)... or did a couple of times...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Slats, do you really think GPS/ CAS cricket is a comparable standard to 3rd grade and downwards? You dont get ex-1st graders coming back through the grades in school cricket. I'm not saying school cricet's a dead loss, it isn't, though it is a waste of some wonderful grounds which ought to be shared among the wider cricket-playing community.

Of course the argument is in part about who goes on to play at the higher levels, because it follows that if school cricket was of a standard commensurate with middle to low grades, then those schools would be producing 1st class and international players at a proportionate rate, and they don't. And they don't because most good young players go to grade. That must be a reflection on the standard of school cricket as opposed to grade cricket.

Re. women playing clubs like Belinda Clark with Carlingford, I heard on the radio yesterday that Lisa Keightley regularly plays grade in Adelaide.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Burgey said:
You dont get ex-1st graders coming back through the grades in school cricket.
But you do get people playing school cricket who do play 1st and 2nd grade cricket inbetween school committments.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Burgey said:
Re. women playing clubs like Belinda Clark with Carlingford, I heard on the radio yesterday that Lisa Keightley regularly plays grade in Adelaide.
Carlingford's just park cricket... we did have the wickie in the australian indoor team and belinda clarke so they woulda been formidable.

Burgey

vic_orthdox said:
But you do get people playing school cricket who do play 1st and 2nd grade cricket inbetween school committments.
Depends on the school system I suppose. If your school (ridiculously) insists you play for them rather than your club of a weekend, you'd have to be a demi-god for a grade club to allow you back into 1s & 2s after several weeks or months out while you play for your school.

Burgey

Slats4ever said:
Carlingford's just park cricket... we did have the wickie in the australian indoor team and belinda clarke so they woulda been formidable.
Would've been a good side I reckon. Am I right in recalling that Belinda remains the only international cricketer to score 200 in a ODI?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
vic_orthdox said:
Only if the school commitment isn't on a Saturday, i.e. during school time. And cricket at schools that don't play on Saturdays would be a shokcingly low level

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
burkey_1988 said:
Only if the school commitment isn't on a Saturday, i.e. during school time. And cricket at schools that don't play on Saturdays would be a shokcingly low level
We get it a fair bit here in Melbourne. Generally, you only have to miss four weeks before Christmas if you're playing school cricket on a Saturday, and you can get up to four weeks before the season starts after Christmas. Probably about 7 or 8 games all up.

Langeveldt

Soutie
And most people here are missing the main point, if she can play blokes cricket, why can't us men go and dominate the womens soccer/netball/softball/whatever leagues?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Langeveldt said:
And most people here are missing the main point, if she can play blokes cricket, why can't us men go and dominate the womens soccer/netball/softball/whatever leagues?
It's not bloke's cricket. It's the school's best team, and it just so happens she's the only girl good enough it the only co-ed school in the comp.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
So if the schools best netball team included blokes it would be OK?
What's the point of this argument exactly? I mean, I get what you're saying, but are you suggesting that she shouldn't be able to play if she's good enough to make the side?

The reason male players can't qualify for girls sports teams is because they tend to have a natural advantage in size, strength and so on. That's perfectly obvious and nobody is going to disagree with you there. The reason this girl shouldn't be allowed to play in a co-ed school's first team is...?

You've lost me.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Interesting because ir's not a new issue in England. Clare Connor who captained our women's team to their Ashes last year playrd in the boy's XI at scool -and a couple os the current England women's cricket team play in the boy's 'XI at the same school (Brighton College) - but the President of MCC Robin Marlar is against it and so am I. To my mind there's men's sport and women's sport and never the twain shall meet. IMO Michele Wie should be banned from men's tournaments she's only making a fool of herself. PS - but i'd like to know - is the fuss because she's a girl or because of her uncle? Because sometimes you hear stories of people getting preferential treatment because their reletives are famous.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Burgey said:
Would've been a good side I reckon. Am I right in recalling that Belinda remains the only international cricketer to score 200 in a ODI?
Correct - now threre's a target for Gilchrist, Gayle, Tendulkar etc. Bit off-topic but do you think a man could score an ODI 200? I reckon it would need to be an opener batting first in the WC against say Ireland, Holland or Bermuda. I don't see it happening in a match between Test nations but who'd have thought the first two scores of over 400 in ODIs would come in SA v Australia at the Wanderers?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Poker Boy said:
Interesting because ir's not a new issue in England. Clare Connor who captained our women's team to their Ashes last year playrd in the boy's XI at scool -and a couple os the current England women's cricket team play in the boy's 'XI at the same school (Brighton College) - but the President of MCC Robin Marlar is against it and so am I. To my mind there's men's sport and women's sport and never the twain shall meet. IMO Michele Wie should be banned from men's tournaments she's only making a fool of herself. PS - but i'd like to know - is the fuss because she's a girl or because of her uncle? Because sometimes you hear stories of people getting preferential treatment because their reletives are famous.
That's not actually a reason, though. I'm trying to fathom why someone would object to having a girl in the school first XI. If she's good enough to make the side on merit and she doesn't have an unfair advantage, what's the problem?

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
That's not actually a reason, though. I'm trying to fathom why someone would object to having a girl in the school first XI. If she's good enough to make the side on merit and she doesn't have an unfair advantage, what's the problem?
I just believe that male and female sport should be seperate - doesn't the school have a girl's team? And Robin Marlar was concerned about the bad publicity if the girls get hit - do they bowl bouncers in Aussie schools cricket? Of course the PC brigade slagged Marlar off for what he said - thank god this site allows free speech!!:laugh: