• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Girls playing with boys?

I have a feeling maybe at Trinity but not at Waverley any more its generally not cricket but gnerally Rugby and Trinity a lot of it is swimmers they give scholarship's to

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
nope i went to st andrews in town. possibly the worst cricket school this side of the equator. We did produce daniel rixon but. but hardly produced him. that was his dad.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Slats4ever said:
not even at other school's?
find that hard to believe
It's true. The mates thing wouldn't enter into it, if they really want to make it as a cricketer they should be playing some sort of grade at the age of 16/17/18. And no one gets cricket scholarships, in fact technically sporting scholarships are not allowed at GPS schools, though some do bend the rules. As for Saturday sport being compulsory, I'm sure that a gun cricketer playing grade would move to another school where this isn't the case so he could play grade.

Slats4ever said:
nope i went to st andrews in town. possibly the worst cricket school this side of the equator. We did produce daniel rixon but. but hardly produced him. that was his dad.
He can hardly ever score a run in first grade

Slats4ever

burkey_1988 said:
It's true. The mates thing wouldn't enter into it, if they really want to make it as a cricketer they should be playing some sort of grade at the age of 16/17/18. And no one gets cricket scholarships, in fact technically sporting scholarships are not allowed at GPS schools, though some do bend the rules. As for Saturday sport being compulsory, I'm sure that a gun cricketer playing grade would move to another school where this isn't the case so he could play grade.
i'd still go as far to say that 1st CAS/GPS would definately be on par with about 3rd grade cricket... perhaps 4th

burkey_1988 said:
On that note my 15 year old mate just made his 1st grade debut for Uni of NSW! 9 overs 1/61 and 16 batting 11

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Slats4ever said:
i'd still go as far to say that 1st CAS/GPS would definately be on par with about 3rd grade cricket... perhaps 4th
Nope. I had a mate who was playing 1st XI for my school (High) in the GPS, was scoring runs all over the place. Then he got called up the Randwick-Petersham's 5th Grade side and decided to play that instead, where he didn't do too well. I'd say anyone playing any form of Grade would easily make a GPS/CAS 1st XI.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
AussieDominance said:
On that note my 15 year old mate just made his 1st grade debut for Uni of NSW! 9 overs 1/61 and 16 batting 11
Ah really? What's his name? One of my best mates plays for UNSW 1's, might ask him what he thinks of him.

Slats4ever

sheesh no way. grade's (especially the lower ones) are hugely overrated... Had a mate at my school who was 2nd grade at my school (and that's pretty bad considering my school didn't even emphasise cricket) and he played in the above mentioned randy pete's 5ths and featured ok.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Slats4ever said:
sheesh no way. grade's (especially the lower ones) are hugely overrated... Had a mate at my school who was 2nd grade at my school (and that's pretty bad considering my school didn't even emphasise cricket) and he played in the above mentioned randy pete's 5ths and featured ok.
Perhaps. Agree to disagree then. I think the grade system is much better for a player's development also.
AussieDominance said:
Timm Van Der Gugten whos ya best mate ?

My Brother plays for North Sydney as well
Sam Robson. He's having a shocker of a season, not hitting the dizzying heights of his debut last year. Almost broke Henriques's record of best match figures on debut or something similar. Heard of Tim by the way, captained Green Shield team last year?

Slats4ever

burkey_1988 said:
Perhaps. Agree to disagree then. I think the grade system is much better for a player's development also.
word agree to disagree.

I also agree in that grade is by far a better way to develop. You can learn sooo much from testing your skills against people physically bigger than you and it eliminates the intimidation factor later on.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Being a Pom, I have no idea of Australian schools cricket.

However, why shouldn't women be allowed in, if they're good enough?

A 14yo boy is allowed to play in an U17 side, if he's good enough, so why shouldn't a 16yo girl?

Cricket, IMHO, has a very different skill/athleticism balance to sports like rugby and football (soccer ;)). Generally(!), a super-skilful footballer who had all the pace of a snail wouldn't get anywhere...on the other hand, just look at Inzy and Ranatunga!

Where girls usually lose out is on the athleticism - less muscular build, etc. Not so much of a factor in cricket, at least at lower levels.

Field hockey's another example where athleticism doesn't necessarily play a large part - mixed leagues are popular right up to university level.

The argument against allowing boys to play in (girls') netball teams is that boys are (generally/potentially!) superior in terms of athleticism - it would be akin to allowing a 19yo boy to play in the aforementioned U17 team.

I'm not saying that all girls can't run - I'm talking averages here. For example, I've played in mixed hockey games where some of the girls could simply run rings around me...and have done :(

Nishant

International 12th Man
Dravid said:
Haha indeed.

It's nothing serious really, if shes better then some boys. then why not? That boy is cleary ***ist.

You read my mind! If the girl is good, why can she not play? But, if she isn't all that good, then its a whole different story!

PhoenixFire

International Coach
No way. I don't subscribe the the PC **** that Women's cricket can be as interesting and exciting as Men's. I was bored out of my head when I was watching the Women's test match, and to be honest, women just wouldn't be able to cope with the pace of mens bowling. I can quite freely admit that the England Women's opener could hit me for fours all day, but I still believe that they should be kept well apart.