• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne or McGrath?

Who would you rather have to start a team with?

• Glenn McGrath

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • Shane Warne

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • Ajit Agarkar

Votes: 11 23.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Lets say you were building an international team from scratch, and you had a choice of either McGrath or Warne (both in their early twenties) to build your team around...who would you pick, and why?

For me: McGrath. Perhaps this is my Indian bias speaking, but I think its probably easier to find a competent spinner than a consistent and competent fast bowler. Plus he is someone who can start the game off the right way and give you top order wickets consistently and for a long time.

Warne obviously is an all time great spinner, but I think it would be better to build around McGrath than Warne. Especially since McGrath seems to do well in all conditions, at all times. Warne can obviously perform anywhere too, but not as well as McGrath IMO.

What do you all think?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Warne brings some other things to the table like his leadership skills and perhaps batting, but I'd still be inclined to go to McGrath. It's marginal, but he's more consistent, and that's something you'd probably want if you're building a team from scratch. Warne's more of a match-winner than someone you can rely on to take out a chunk of the top order every game.

R_D

International Debutant
I'd go for Mcgrath because he'll perform anywhere and against anyone same can not be said about Warne tho.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Agarkar by far!! His in and out swinging, express pace yorkers and bouncers can really take the game away from the opposition right from the get go. He performs well in all conditions and with him in the squad, no one from the opposition wants to open batting. Also, he's very handy with the bat, he can slaughter oppositions and really win the game while scoring at over 6 an over. His fielding is also formidable, with him fielding at point, no way is a ball gonna pass that area! He is really a match winner in both forms of the game.

abu

Banned
why is agarkar grouped with the two legends mcgrath and warne? Agarker sucks by far no one can compare him to these two legends

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
most definitely mcgrath...well above warne in terms of effectiveness in all conditions....and aa shouldn't be in this poll, he is so "above" everyone in this list...

Slifer

International Captain
Sorry and with all due respect to Mr Warne but this isnt even a contest. Mcgrath all the way. What a champion bowler. Mcgrath is the kinda bowler who isnt all about flash and charisma he is just solid and solid wherever he goes whether it be in India, the WI or England. The same cannot be said of Warne. He has had many more off days and test series than Mcgrath and Ive found that, batsmen have gotten ontop of Warne way more often than they have with Mcgrath.
I think most people are to caught up in the onfield/off field antics of Warne TBH. IMO without Mcgrath Australia would be much less of a team than they are now. Glenn Mcgrath, definitely one of the top 3 pacemen of all time easily.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The one intangible is how much taller your team-mates walk next to McGrath, as opposed to how much taller they walk next to Warne.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In terms of bowling I would prefer to have Glenn McGrath in my team, he can take wickets in any conditions, playing against any opposition and bowling to any batsman. However I beleive that Shane Warne's leadership skills, aura and pure skill would be better suited to a team because other players would lift their performance. Not saying McGrath doesn't have skill, aura or leadership skills but I beleive that Warne's are greater.

bagapath

International Captain
mcgrath. at least i have murali as an option for a spinner against warne. mcgrath is peerless as an opening bowler in this era.

EDIT: I wrote this thinking of a contemporary XI. If it is an all time XI warne will still competer with murali for the spinner's job but mcgrath would not even be in the running since marshall, hadlee, lillee, barnes and imran would be ranked above him.

So it is weird. For a contemprary team it is Mcgrath. For an all-time XI I would say Warne.

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
Well actually in retrospect if we r talking about overall cricketer then I'd probably choose Warne over Mcgrath. But if we consider bowling alone then I'd choose Mcgrath over Warne (and pretty much 99.7% of all bowlers period).

Slow Love™

International Captain
Is the hypothesis that we know everything of their entire careers up to now, or that we take both players as they were in their early 20's? 'Cause if it's the former, yes, I'd probably go for McGrath, but only just. If it was the latter, I'd take Warne - in spite of a rough initiation to international cricket, he showed his true potential earlier than McGrath did, and had the ability to bowl very long spells, and control the batsman, even ones who were quite set.

Actually, even taking their entire careers into account, the more I think about it, the closer it gets. Very close - I certainly wouldn't have McGrath comfortably ahead. Warne has the capacity to turn critical games when they appear to be going terribly wrong (so does McGrath, but I think it's more pronounced for Warne) and take big hauls more often. It might also be a little easier to see McGrath off than Warne.

EDIT: latter and former were the wrong way around above. Duh.

Last edited:

oz_fan

International Regular
I'd actually go with Warne. I think he can have more impact on the game. His able to bowl from one end almost all day long and is always asking questions of batsmen. McGrath is a great bowler as well but Warne does bring his batting, slip fielding, ability to read the game and leadership to a team.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
warne. There's no other player like him in the world. Yet you could find someone almost as good as mcgrath easily.

abu said:
why is agarkar grouped with the two legends mcgrath and warne? Agarker sucks by far no one can compare him to these two legends
Don't u see that Ajit Agarkar is twice the bowler Glenn Mcgrath is.And he's also the greatest allrounder ever.So,I don't see a problem with Agarkar in the poll.But then u might be right because its an unforgivable crime to mention ordinary bowlers like McGrath & Warne with the great Ajit Agarkar.