• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Windies xi.

andmark

International Captain
g greenidge
d haynes
v richards
b lara
c lloyd
c hooper
j dujon
m marshall
j garner
m holding
c ambrose

what a team!!!!!
anyone think they can beat my dream team of all time windies players? please post your team and we will discuss/argue the pros and cons!!!!

Matt79

Global Moderator
For me:

Fredericks
Greenidge
Headley
Richards *
Weekes
Sobers
Walcott +
Marshall
Ramadhin
Ambrose
Garner

with Richardson and Lara unlucky to miss out. Walcott was a shadow of himself as a batsman when he had to keep wicket, but that 'shadow' still averaged in the mid-40s and was a fair keeper by all accounts. Besides, to fit him into the team, he has to take the keeper's slot, which he did actually do for the first chunk of his career, or be one of the openers, which he never did. So, he's the keeper.

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
No Sobers?!?!!!?!!!?!?!?!?!??! :crazy:

All three W's and Ramadhin also conspicuous by their absence. :confused:

Slifer

International Captain
Greenidge
Hunte
Richards*
Lara
Walcott+
Sobers
Marshall
Holding
Garner
Ambrose
Gibbs

This is actually not my best Xi just experimenting a bit.

andmark

International Captain
Matt79 said:
For me:

Fredericks
Greenidge
Headley
Richards *
Weekes
Sobers
Walcott +
Marshall
Ramadhin
Ambrose
Garner

with Richardson and Lara unlucky to miss out. Walcott was a shadow of himself as a batsman when he had to keep wicket, but that 'shadow' still averaged in the mid-40s and was a fair keeper by all accounts. Besides, to fit him into the team, he has to take the keeper's slot, which he did actually do for the first chunk of his career, or be one of the openers, which he never did. So, he's the keeper.
looks a good team but one name missing which i wanted to put in but could not find the space (a roberts) i was a big fan of joel garner and could not leave him out.!!!!!:unsure:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I beleive that it's far too hard to pick a Greatest XI of any of the test playing nations, West Indies more so than the others. You have four openers who were all very, very good batsman in Hunte, Fredericks, Greenidge and Haynes. The Middle Order alone is amazingly talented no matter what way you go. Lara, Richards, Sobers, Worrell, Weekes, Headley, Richardson, Walcott, Kanhai are all excellent top class batsman. Wicket Keepers there is slightly less talent, with Dujon, Kanhai and Walcott being the main contenders. Spin bowling is also strong with Ramadhin, Valentine and Gibbs all excellent spinners. Then we come back to the pace bowlers, Marshall, Garner, Roberts, Croft, Holding, Ambrose, Walsh plus a few others I can't think of off the top of my head.

So much talent, it's too hard to seperate who should be in a Greatest XI and who shouldn't be. This is just my opinion.

andmark

International Captain
good views but one wicketkeeper missing from your list (d murray) must deserve a mention,he must have sore hands now after taking the ball from holding marshall garner croft etc etc,very good post t./y perm:cool:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
andmark said:
g greenidge
d haynes
v richards
b lara
c lloyd
c hooper
j dujon
m marshall
j garner
m holding
c ambrose

what a team!!!!!
anyone think they can beat my dream team of all time windies players? please post your team and we will discuss/argue the pros and cons!!!!
You could go on forever arguing over an all time XI. The only ones beyond argument should be Sobers and Richards. However I don't think even Carl Hooper's own mother would select him.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
andmark said:
g greenidge
d haynes
v richards
b lara
c lloyd
c hooper
j dujon
m marshall
j garner
m holding
c ambrose

what a team!!!!!
Some strange choices there. Hooper, Dujon and Haynes would probably not be natural choices IMO and no Sobers or Headley is eqaully, if not more, strange.

I think its possible to pick a 2nd XI (ie using players you have not named) that would be equally good, if not stronger.

Hunte
Fredricks
Headley
Worrell
Weekes
Sobers
Walcott
Hall
Roberts
Gibbs
Bishop

Beleg

International Regular
Hmm.

Greenidge
Lara
Headley
Weekes
Richards
Sobers
Walcott
Marshall
Garner
Ambrose
Holding

second XI:

Haynes
Fredericks
Kanhai
Lloyd
Worrell
Kallicharan
Dujon
Andy Roberts
Hall
Bishop
Walsh

third XI:

Hunte
Lawrence Rowe
Richardson
Hooper
Chanderpaul
Basil Butcher
Ridley Jacobs
Colin Croft
Learie Constantine
Lance Gibbs
Rammadhin

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
greenidge
haynes
richards
lara
headley
sobers
dujon
marshall
holding
roberts
ambrose

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
andmark said:
good views but one wicketkeeper missing from your list (d murray) must deserve a mention,he must have sore hands now after taking the ball from holding marshall garner croft etc etc,very good post t./y perm:cool:
Thank you andmark, much appreciated. I haven't heard that much about Murray but the name definately rings a bell.

oz_fan

International Regular
1. Gordon Greenidge
2. Desmond Haynes
3. Viv Richards
4. Brian Lara
5. Everton Weekes
6. Gary Sobers
7. Jeffrey Dujon
8. Malcolm Marshall
9. Michael Holding
10. Curtly Ambrose
11. Joel Garner

There is no real need for a spinner in a Windies all-time XI considering the pace attack they have. Gibbs and Ramadhin are both good spinners but neither of them warrant a place over the WI pace bowlers especially when you have Richards and Sobers who can both bowl competent spin.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Kweek said:
tbh im surprised Lara misses out so much...
It's harsh on him, agreed. He'd be a walk-up start in every other countries all time best teams, but the Windies have been blessed with a particularly good line of middle order bats over the decades.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
1) Gordon Greenidge
2) Desmond Haynes
3) Viv Richards
4) Brian Lara
5) George Headley
6) Garry Sobers
7) Jeffrey Dujon
8) Malcolm Marshall
9) Michael Holding
10) Curtley Ambrose
11) Joel Garner

PhoenixFire

International Coach
oz_fan said:
1. Gordon Greenidge
2. Desmond Haynes
3. Viv Richards
4. Brian Lara
5. Everton Weekes
6. Gary Sobers
7. Jeffrey Dujon
8. Malcolm Marshall
9. Michael Holding
10. Curtly Ambrose
11. Joel Garner

There is no real need for a spinner in a Windies all-time XI considering the pace attack they have. Gibbs and Ramadhin are both good spinners but neither of them warrant a place over the WI pace bowlers especially when you have Richards and Sobers who can both bowl competent spin.

Exactly the same as mine except I have George Headley and you have Everton Weekes.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Matt79 said:
It's harsh on him, agreed. He'd be a walk-up start in every other countries all time best teams, but the Windies have been blessed with a particularly good line of middle order bats over the decades.
nevertheless he would still be a key member in a west indian all-time xi...other than richards, headley and sobers, who is equal or better to him in the west indian sides, past or present?

Slifer

International Captain
Most would say that Weekes, Walcott and Worrell do also run him close but thats about it.