• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Modi slams the ICC [again]

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/266288.html

Some of what he says makes sense, but I don't really trust the BCCI either...

Some excerpts:

Last time around, the ICC sold the rights to Global Cricket Corporation for $532 million; GCC re-sold the rights, mainly to its group companies, Modi pointed out. The highest amount ($208 million) was paid by Sony Television, which wasn't part of the group; the balance, he said, was made up by selling rights at low rates to its group companies. "If you look at the underlying revenues of all other broadcasters it would've been in the excess of a billion dollars. So the ICC actually suffered when they gave it out to one company for an eight-year-period."

As an example he referred to Sky TV which, he said, paid only $30 million for an eight-year deal but made $30 million in the first series. "If you actually looked at the Sky business plan, which I happened to, they were actually going to bid $90 million on their own. But now they didn't have to bid $90 million because the parent company of theirs had bought the rights and they got a share of it."

Another case where the ICC had lost out, Modi said, was the deal surrounding the Champions Trophy. The GCC deal, he explained, was based on a 12-match Champions Trophy format, which is now expanded to 21 games. "Did the ICC get a higher revenue? No."

The solution, he continued, is in the BCCI's bid for the ICC rights. This would not only put more money into world cricket - "We are ready to pay top dollar for it ... our money is as good as anybody else's" - but also allow for an MPA that would be acceptable to all members.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
The BCCI want to do the exact same thing though, buy the rights then sell them on for more money than they paid, which is exactly what happened previously.

So whats the difference? 8-)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
SpaceMonkey said:
The BCCI want to do the exact same thing though, buy the rights then sell them on for more money than they paid, which is exactly what happened previously.

So whats the difference? 8-)
The issue that the BCCI are raising is that they sold it for less than it was worth.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
TG: How much of importance do alliances play now as they play important roles in business and things like that. India now have effectively seven of the major countries on side. Is that a fair comment?

LM: No, it is not true. It is not seven, actually it is a higher number now. Australia is an alliance partner of us and we are playing them every year; we are working with New Zealand and how we can accommodate them in our FTP as they have got a raw deal with the least number of matches with India. But you got to keep in mind that when we look at their schedule, when we look at their balance sheets, whether it's right or wrong, majority of these sports are making their money only when India plays with them and that's once in four years. And if you see at the rest of the matches you will see a big spike: two million dollars a game when India plays, when India doesn't play it is 100,000 dollars a game. So they actually make money only when India plays except for the Ashes. Apart from that none of these boards make any money. So we are trying to find ways and means of how increase their money. Now we can only play X number of days in a year and on top of that we have been thrust upon with various ICC events every year - previously these ICC events used to be every four years then it became once in two years and now it is every year.
That seems like a big spike, anyone else know more about it?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
BCCI should be thinking more about improving cricket infrastructure in India.

Achtung Baby

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Malocolm speed has come with a scathing attack on BCCI.He has asked BCCI to set its house (Recent poor performances by indian team)in order first and then worry about the world cricket.
Well this war of words doesn't seem to end and it will get more noisy as the 2007 world cup approaches.I personallly feel after hearing what modi had to say in cricinfo that ICC is surely acting a bit rigid if modi is promising them more money then whats wrong with that? Why is ICC so adamant on some issues though admitting many times that a big chunk of money that ICC is making comes from India.
ICC i feel just can't take it that somebody else can do a better job then them.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Achtung Baby said:
Malocolm speed has come with a scathing attack on BCCI.He has asked BCCI to set its house (Recent poor performances by indian team)in order first and then worry about the world cricket.
Thats just stupid. Whats on field performance got to do with money rights? Lalit Modi isn't going to be coaching Dhoni on proper batting technique.

Achtung Baby said:
Well this war of words doesn't seem to end and it will get more noisy as the 2007 world cup approaches.I personallly feel after hearing what modi had to say in cricinfo that ICC is surely acting a bit rigid if modi is promising them more money then whats wrong with that? Why is ICC so adamant on some issues though admitting many times that a big chunk of money that ICC is making comes from India.
ICC i feel just can't take it that somebody else can do a better job then them.
BCCI is far from being trustworthy in my book, but in this particular case, their stance makes sense.

Dravid

International Captain
I agree with you SS, speeds comeback was pretty stupid. We are talking about money here, not the performance. Two different topics.