• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Domination

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"Barring a short period in the late-1960s to early-1970s when South Africa then England were very strong, either West indies or Australia have dominated world cricket since the end of World War 2".

Is this a fair comment? If so, why? If not, why not?

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
its not totally accurate. england had a right to be called the best team in the world between 1952 and 1958. under hutton and may.

and also in 1966 - but this was their football team.

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
bagapath said:
its not totally accurate. england had a right to be called the best team in the world between 1952 and 1958. under hutton and may.
True, I might say 1953, but that would be a little picky :p

I would love to own a book that listed (amongst other things) a world ranking for the Test nations each year since 1877. It would be great to know who was considered the best team in the world in 1960 for instance. They could use the same system they use now to work out the worlds best Test nation.

Also the best batsmen and bowlers for each year since 1877. I wonder if anyone was in front of Bradman from 1930-1949

And yes I know he retired in 1948 but don't they leave them on the list for awhile?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Its a little simple to say that.

You have to understand that during the West Indian dominance, the potentially best team in the world was not allowed to play. When SA were banned they were far and away the best team in the world with a number of exceptional young players and an even better generation to come through.

I still have the great West Indian side 2nd of the post war teams (after the recent Aussie team).

Without SA to compete with there needs to be a little asterix next to the West Indian domination as they were unable to play and beat the best. The same needs to be said about the SA team that did not organise fixtures against non-white teams.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
I would love to own a book that listed (amongst other things) a world ranking for the Test nations each year since 1877. It would be great to know who was considered the best team in the world in 1960 for instance. They could use the same system they use now to work out the worlds best Test nation.
I've always liked this site. Has a consistent ranking method that's used to rank sides throughout history. It's not perfect or anything (takes a little too long for teams to move up and down the ranks, IMO), but it's an interesting resource anyway.

Seems they haven't updated it in a few months for some reason.

Slifer

International Captain
Goughy said:
Its a little simple to say that.

You have to understand that during the West Indian dominance, the potentially best team in the world was not allowed to play. When SA were banned they were far and away the best team in the world with a number of exceptional young players and an even better generation to come through.

I still have the great West Indian side 2nd of the post war teams (after the recent Aussie team).

Without SA to compete with there needs to be a little asterix next to the West Indian domination as they were unable to play and beat the best. The same needs to be said about the SA team that did not organise fixtures against non-white teams.
Umm have u ever heard of the "Rebel Tours". While not official tests West Indian Rebel teams toured RSA twice during the 1980s and if memory serves me correctly on their first tour the series was tied and on the second tour the WI rebel team beat RSA 2-1 in RSA.

Now i will not be foolish enough to assume that the same would happen if those 2 teams met in the 80s but those Rebel tours do give an indication of what may have happened had these 2 teams met. So as far as Im concerned there are no asterisks next to the WI period of dominattion.

archie mac

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
I've always liked this site. Has a consistent ranking method that's used to rank sides throughout history. It's not perfect or anything (takes a little too long for teams to move up and down the ranks, IMO), but it's an interesting resource anyway.

Seems they haven't updated it in a few months for some reason.
Yeah not too bad, not as much info as I was hoping for:)

archie mac

International Coach
Here is one for 1957

1. England pts16 Ave1.6
2. South Africa pts6 Ave1.2
3. Pakistan pts6 Ave1.2
4. Australia pts7 Ave1.0
5. India pts7 Ave0.86
6. West Indies pts5 Ave0.83
7. New Zealand pts0 Ave0.0

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
On a different note, I remember some one provide batting and bowling average trends for each era/decade ages back. Can some one provide those stats? Estimates will do fine as well.

Thanks.

Last edited: