• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW awards for the 22nd -29th Oct

archie mac

International Coach
Congratulations to the following:

roseboy64 - 7000 Posts
Voltman - 6000 Posts
Dravid - 1000 Posts

No AD again this week? We would like to welcome Dravid and Adharcric to the Awards team, I will ask if we can put up their email details for next week.

We have also replaced the best pic award with a new award for best new poster, which will be known as the Mike Hussey award. Does anyone think we should keep the Best Pic award as well?

The CW Awards Team

Alternative (milestones)
Marc (awards judge)
Aussie Dominance (Sobers and Gatting/Rana awards judge)
Dravid (Agarkar and Sir Geoffrey)
Adharcric (Afridi and Hussey)
Archie (whatever else is left over)

If you are celebrating a “Posts” milestone this week, please let Manju (Alternative) know, you can contact him at hunterbhai at hotmail dot com

If you would like to discuss anything to do with the awards, please let me know, you can contact me on kehlers at iprimus dot com dot au

If you notice a post or thread that you think is worthy of an award please contact Marc at marc at robbins46 dot freeserve dot co dot uk

If you notice any nominees for the Sobers or best debate awards please let Justin know at
rusty_492 at hotmail dot com

Best of The Best

1. Shahid Afridi Award for (Best post of the week) Like an innings by the great man, it does not have to be very long, to be great viewing. And the Winner is: silentstriker for this click here a man in form. Although we all know Lillee was the best, don’t we? :-O

2. Shane Warne Award for (Best thread of the week) Like his bowling it must be interesting but just like his private life it can also be controversial. And the Winner is Lillian Thomson for this click here , is it time? This thread started some very good debate

3. The Skull Award (Funniest poster for the week) Just like the king of the one liner Kerry O’Keefe, can also be serious. And the Winner is: Burgey for this click here This is from the Staff Forum, but it is to good not to share with everyone. I do hope I am not breaking any forum rules here, and also that Burgey does not mind. :unsure:

4. The Sobers Award (Most varied poster of the week) The true all-rounder of CW you must be able to contribute to a number of threads. And the Winner is: aussie tragic , loves to pick 11s, best captains, best spinners, and contributes well to those and other threads.

5. Tony Greig Award (Worst prediction of the week) Will he ever live down that ‘We will make them grovel’ prediction re- the West Indies? And the Winner is: TT Boy click here see if you guess who they were playing? :ph34r:

6. Inzamam Award (Vaguest poster of the week) We are not sure what he is talking about, but we hope he knows. And the Winner is: aussie click here Maybe he meant think? But you can never be sure with aussie:D

7. The Sir Geoffrey Award (Most knowledgeable poster of the week) We were going to call this the Richie Benaud award, but after speaking to Boycs, he assured us he new twice as much as Richie. And the Winner is: Mr Mxyzptlk, Two weeks in a row! Well done and well deserved Liam

8. The Bradman Award (Overall CW poster of the week) Simply the best no matter what the debate or criteria. And the Winner is: silentstriker, if you would have told me in the early days of the awards, that SS would one day win the Bradman I would have :laugh: and:laugh:, but he has turned into one of the top contributors on CW and the Bradman is well deserved

Agarkar/Mohammed award for ('At least their trying' award)
just like the players this award is named after, they may not be quite good enough for any other award, but at least we remember them. And the Winner is: dubai 194, tries hard, just needs a little more polish, but here is some incentive with an award

10. The Mike Hussey award for best newcomer (less then 300 posts), not too many have had a great debut and continued success like “Mr Cricket” And the Winner is: PhoenixFire well done to our inaugural winner

The Gatting V Rana award for the best debate of the week, and the winners are: overrated Kevin Pieterson click here Great debate, and it seems evenly split. I will say that his catching as improved since the Ashes.

Please remember, these awards are not officially endorsed by CW management

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
3. The Skull Award (Funniest poster for the week) Just like the king of the one liner Kerry O’Keefe, can also be serious. And the Winner is: Burgey for this click here This is from the Staff Forum, but it is to good not to share with everyone. I do hope I am not breaking any forum rules here, and also that Burgey does not mind. :unsure:
Ummm... non-staff can't see the staff forum, Sean. I'd quote it. ;)

archie mac

International Coach
steds said:
Ummm... non-staff can't see the staff forum, Sean. I'd quote it. ;)
Silly me! :D Thanks mate, here it is:

Had the pleasure to hear Kerry O'Keeffe speak at a conference in Sydney this morning.

Thought I'd post a few pars here.

"We played in a wild era. We drank a lot. I'm not saying we were alcoholics, but if George Best was in our team, he'd have been a tee-totaller".

"I went to Doug Walter's 60th. I said, "I want to do a tally. How long you been drinking?" "40 years". "How much a day did you drink?" "Not less than 200 ounces." That's 2,920,000 ounces of grog. But Doug's an all rounder - 50 smokes a day for 40 years - that's 730,000 cigarettes. Doug's an organ donor. If you're on a recipient list and he dies, better hope you avoid his lungs and liver".

"At midnight in a bar in the middle of a test match you would never know whether Doug Walters had scored a duck or a hundred. Neither would Doug".

Speaking on Australia's test record since the Ashes:

"We beat South Africa 5 from 6 - and they deserved it - for being South Africans.

Then we beat Bangladesh 2 nil. And it was great, because it gave Jason Gillespie a chance to score 200 in a test match. God was kind to him. God said - If you're prepared to wear that s**thouse mullet for 5 years and put up with living in Adelaide, I'll reward you. I hate Adelaide, Adelaide is Kurnell with poofs".

"England have made a good move appointing Flintoff as captain. Normally they go for a Chaucer-reading nerd with no chin who likes scrabble. Freddy's a p*ss-swilling Lancastrian with 2 chins who doesn't know how to spell scrabble".

"Shane Warne's a genius between 11-6 each day. After 6 pm, things go wrong..."

"They were going to make Warne captain of Australia - it would have been like going for a night out and having Ivan Milat as your designated driver".

"I love Ricky Ponting, he's a good man. A better player than Greg Chappell in my opinion. He's more aggressive against fast bowling. People criticise his captaincy, but you have to remember - he could have stayed in Tasmania and married his cousin, instead he came to Australia...."

"I know things are hard at the moment, but look how things can turn around. Take me. At 46 I was working part time as an armoured guard. My wife was working part time as well. We realised we would never pay off our mortgage. Then I got a call from someone at the ABC saying they wanted me to be on a show called "The Fat". When's it on? I asked. Monday nights was the reply. I said "Let me check my schedule (I still had my pride) - yeah, I'm available". I sat on the edge of the panel on the first night. For 15 minutes I said nothing, then I mumbled someting stupid and giggled - Now I don't have a mortgage anymore".

"Hasha Bogle, the Indian commentator and one of the great blokes came out here to call a series. After 2 weeks he said "Kerry, I love the Australian way, can you make me more Australian?" I said "Hash - you're a 48 kilogram, teetotalling, Indian, Hindu, vegetarian. I'm not a f*cking miracle worker!"

"I played 24 tests for Australia and took 53 wickets - you do the division".

"It was a fast bowler's era. As a leg spinner I was like the rutting pony for the stallions like Lillee and Thommo - wasn't a great life".

"I opened the batting for Australia in the second innings of the Centenary Test in 1977. It was either me or Rick McCosker, who'd had his jaw broken in the 1st innings, was still concussed and was swathed in bandages. It was a split decision".

"My favourite batsman to bowl to was Baghwat Chandresaker, the Indian leg spinner. Batted 11. For those of you who don't know, Chandra was born with only half a right arm. He had a batting average of 1.3 in tests. Didn't matter. I moved my silly point in as close as possible and bowled my most devastating,bouncing toppie, hit the glove of the withered right arm, straight to silly point - F**k Off, Out! Got him out 5 times".

"My least favourite batsman to bowl to was Garry Sobers. I never got him out, never beat his bat. The closest I got was a leg bye".

"In 1972 Sobers made 254 at the MCG. Bradman said it was the best innings he ever saw. They made a movie about it. I played a supporting role. 0-135...... off 15 overs. Hey, they WERE 8 ball overs!"

"I was bowling to Sobers in that match and I had 0/50 off 5 overs. He was at the non-striker's end at the start of my 6th. Time for a sledge. He and his wife had separated just before that match. "How's the Mrs?" I said. 22 off that over. Rod Marsh said to me "He's not reading your wrong 'un out of the hand, he's picking it off the wicket". I bowled him 5 wrong 'uns in that spell - cost me 30".

"I went on one Ashes tour - 1977 - we lost 3 nil. On the way over we decided to have a drinking comp. 17 entered. I was 10-1, but I was in form, I'd been working on the Resch's Brewery Truck in Waverley and was having 12 schooners a day - I was in form.

The favourites at 3-1 were Walters and Marsh. You got one point per beer and 2 points per spirit. At Brisbane, Kim Hughes was leading with 12 points - 6 spirits. But by Rockhampton his campaign was over, as the stewardess cleaned up. I was 13th and feeling great.

By Singapore I was 10th and doing great, the leaders Marsh and Walters were still in sight but were gaining a lead. By Bombay I was 5th and cruising - I could see a podium finish coming up. By Bahrain I was 3rd and felt like sh*t.

We arrived in London and I finished 3rd - held on with 35 cans. Rod Marsh was second with 41 and Doug Walters won with 42. I stood on the podium at the back of the plane and got my award. Marsh was struggling and had to be assisted. Walters couldn't walk.

4 years later Rod Marsh set a new benchmark of 43 cans and had to be wheeled off the plane. The 8 years later, a moustache out of Launceston beat them all - D Boon, 53 cans, walked off the plane, went through customs and ordered a pint from the bar at the Heathrow transit lounge!"

"I think Australia will win the Ashes, but it won't be as easy as people think. I'm worried about our openers who are in their mid-30s, and they will attack McGrath. Mind you, at least we have used our own resouces. Their 2 best batsmen are Andrew Strauss and Kevin Pietersen who are South Africans, one of their best fast bowlers is of Pakistani descent, Sajid Mahmood, and their best spinner is Indian, Monty Panesaar. At least we Buy Australian. Anyway, I played 5 Ashes tests: 2 draws, 3 losses. Yeah, I'm the bloke to ask about the Ashes."

There were others, but I'm afraid I was struggling to remember them because my sides were hurting.

Hope no one takes offence at this post, just wanted to share some of the funny things this very amusing speaker said.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
OMG archie you forgot me again this week, I post so much (rubbish and non rubbish), please atleast let my streak going on for a little while!! PLEEEEEEEEAAASSSSEEEEEE???????

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
"I love Ricky Ponting, he's a good man. A better player than Greg Chappell in my opinion. He's more aggressive against fast bowling. People criticise his captaincy, but you have to remember - he could have stayed in Tasmania and married his cousin, instead he came to Australia...."
GOLD!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
"My favourite batsman to bowl to was Baghwat Chandresaker, the Indian leg spinner. Batted 11. For those of you who don't know, Chandra was born with only half a right arm. He had a batting average of 1.3 in tests. Didn't matter. I moved my silly point in as close as possible and bowled my most devastating,bouncing toppie, hit the glove of the withered right arm, straight to silly point - F**k Off, Out! Got him out 5 times".

"My least favourite batsman to bowl to was Garry Sobers. I never got him out, never beat his bat. The closest I got was a leg bye".
Awesome. :laugh:

shortpitched713

International Captain
archie mac said:
"I opened the batting for Australia in the second innings of the Centenary Test in 1977. It was either me or Rick McCosker, who'd had his jaw broken in the 1st innings, was still concussed and was swathed in bandages. It was a split decision".
:lol:

Congrats to all winners, except SS, because theres no need to congradulate anyone so obviously divinely inspired.

archie mac

International Coach
Turbinator said:
OMG archie you forgot me again this week, I post so much (rubbish and non rubbish), please atleast let my streak going on for a little while!! PLEEEEEEEEAAASSSSEEEEEE???????
Keep trying, there is always next week :)

And sorry to Burgey, I am getting all the credit for his great memory and post:wub:

Dravid

International Captain

May I also state he looks like George W. Bush. Did anyone ever notice that?

Bush??

archie mac you can post my email from next week no problem. And as far as the picture awards go, well if we get pictures than bring it back.

It was a tough contest between TT Boy and Pasag for the prediction, but I guess TT Boy had the worse prediction.

Dravid

International Captain
Australia losing by 40 runs, or England never chasing 272 in a million years...hmmm. Didn't say mine was good, but you got to admit, yours was worse

adharcric

International Coach
You can post my e-mail as well archiemac. Personally don't like the photo award idea too much but either way is fine by me.