• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India's form.

Dravid

International Captain
India's current form is horrifying. In the last 17 ODI's played by India(Including India v Australia Champ Trophy) India has only won 5, lost 10, and two have been washed out.

However this is the same team who earlier this year chased down 18 targets consecutively. So one must wonder, what went wrong?

Sending wrong batsman at the wrong spot. Irfan Pathan was constantly send at # 3 before this match despite is form. Best move India made today was sending Pathan down the order. However they still did not get the right person for that spot. At 48-1, Mongia was sent in instead of Dhoni. Would've been a good decision, if Mongia was the right person to bat at #3. He slowed down a pretty quick inning that was started by Sehwag. India got off to a good, quick start so Dhoni would've been the perfect person to send in at #3 this match to stay with the pace.

Still the batting line-up crisis did not end there. Probably the biggest mistake of the match by India, was to send Suresh Raina ahead of Irfan Pathan. Suresh Raina, who came in at 197-5 off 42.1 overs. Suresh Raina, who played selfish in his last inning, was sent before Pathan with 8 overs remaining to pace the inning. Instead Raina decided to defend every single ball for about 3 overs. He didn't even bother to rotate strike and let Dhoni, who was trying to score some runs, get the strike.

I won't even go to the Indian bowlers cause nothing can be done about them.

Thoughts?

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Okay honestly, whatever, I take these failiures as a blessing in disguise. India has been getting destroyed lately, and more destruction is to come when we visit South Africa. I mean it's obvious the board scheduled a tour of South Africa before WC so that they get completely destroyed and anhilated there. What will all this lead to you? Success in the WC!

After getting pounded in NewZealand before the 2003 WC, everyone rated our chances of winning quite low. And then this led us to a succesful WC, so hopefully the same will happen.

Gajanayake

School Boy/Girl Captain
1) Stop mucking around with the batting order.....

something like
Tendulkar
Sehwag/Gambhir
Kaif
Yuvraj
Dravid
Dhoni
Pathan/Mongia

(should be the top 6 imo).....slot Kaif in at 3 where I think he would be most useful....

2) Get a bowling coach - someone to work with the pace bowlers - seriously, If Australia and England have bolwing coaches, then why doesn't India who probably need one a lot more ?
The BCCI have been talking about hiring one ever since the mid 90's but that's all they have done - talk about it.......
Get Bruce Reid or even Venkatesh Prasad if they don't want to go for a foreigner....someone who's actually had coaching expereince and can add value is the need of the hour.

abu

Banned
yeah i agree, Kaif is one guy they mis use all the time, he should be batting at number 3 or 4, he is a guy who can stablise a collaspe in batting.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
What "went wrong" was that during long win streak, all the ODI's were in India. We went overseas or got some seaming wickets...and we got exposed.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
abu said:
ever since ganguly got kicked out, india's from in both onedays and test have gone down.
They had a great year at home without Ganguly. Its not about Ganguly, its about Indian weakness on certain types of wickets being exposed.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
On your average wicket, these are the people who should be in every team, reagarding injury etc.

1)Tendulkar
2)Sehwag
3)Dravid
4)Dhoni
5)Bhaji
6)Pathan
7)Munaf Patel

There might be others, but when these lot are fit, then India are a much better team than the stats would suggest.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
On your average wicket, these are the people who should be in every team, reagarding injury etc.

1)Tendulkar
2)Sehwag
3)Dravid
4)Dhoni
5)Bhaji
6)Pathan
7)Munaf Patel

There might be others, but when these lot are fit, then India are a much better team than the stats would suggest.

I disagree with Sehwag, Dhoni, Bhajji, Pathan and maybe Patel.

Other than that, looks good. ;)

Gajanayake

School Boy/Girl Captain
Personally I think India can post decent scores more often than not....if they organise their batting order properly.

Buyt they really need a lot more discipline from their pace bowlers in tetrms of bowling adecent line ad length.....they really made Australia's job fairly easy in chasing down that 249 with some shoddy bowling

Gajanayake

School Boy/Girl Captain
silentstriker said:

Sehwag and Pathan, I'd agree....they've been pretty disappointing of late.

Harbhajan is probably India's best ODI bowler so yeah I'd think he'd pretty much play every game.
Dhoni - can you name a better ODI option for India ?
Patel - We'll have to see whether yesterday's game was a one-off....he's bowled pretty well over the last few matches.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
silentstriker said:

Whats wrong with them. Sehwag has his flaws, but when he gets it right he can murder you. Dhoni is the same, and a better glovesman than people give him credit for. Do people forget when Bhaji took all those wickets against what was considered to be one of the best Aus team of all time? Pathan has flaws too, but in essence he needs to be worked with as he could be a pretty good player. And Munaf Patel is the closest thing to a 1/4 decent fast bowler that India have, so keep him.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
Whats wrong with them. Sehwag has his flaws, but when he gets it right he can murder you.
A quick look at his ODI record shows he doesn't get it right often enough.

Harbhajan is probably India's best ODI bowler so yeah I'd think he'd pretty much play every game.
Powar should get more look-ins. And I wouldn't mind Kumble being in contention again.

Dhoni - can you name a better ODI option for India ?
He is going to struggle outside the subcontinent.

Patel - We'll have to see whether yesterday's game was a one-off....he's bowled pretty well over the last few matches.
One-off? He has a 'one-off' every other game.

Gajanayake

School Boy/Girl Captain
silentstriker said:
A quick look at his ODI record shows he doesn't get it right often enough.

Powar should get more look-ins. And I wouldn't mind Kumble being in contention again.

He is going to struggle outside the subcontinent.

One-off? He has a 'one-off' every other game.

1/18 1 0 2
- 3/53 0 0 1 N DLF Cup 3 v Aus in Mal 2006/07 at Kuala Lumpur (d/n) [2416]
DNB - - - 2
2* - - - 1 W DLF Cup 5 v WI in Mal 2006/07 at Kuala Lumpur (d/n) [2419]
- 2/31 0 0 2
- 1/32 0 0 1 L DLF Cup 6 v Aus in Mal 2006/07 at Kuala Lumpur (d/n) [2421]
1 - - - 2
- 3/18 0 0 1 W ICC CT 7 v Eng in Ind 2006/07 at Jaipur (d/n) [2429]
DNB - - - 2
DNB - - - 1 L ICC CT 15 v WI in Ind 2006/07 at Ahmedabad (d/n) [2437]
- 1/29 0 0 2
DNB - - - 1 L ICC CT 18 v Aus in Ind 2006/07 at Chandigarh (d/n) [2440]
- 0/61 0

That's 6 good bowling performances out of his last 7 games :wacko:

R_D

International Debutant
adharcric said:
Please shut up. That's all.
I second that.

That was the worst bowling performance i've seen from india in a while.
Pathan- seriously he seems to have no control of where he was going to pitch the bowl, one bowl is short and next one overpitched. Munaf bowled some magnificent deleveries and than bowled a hit me ball in the same over to release all the pressure time after time.Sreesanth was his usual self.. being expensive and taking few wickets. Only saw Harbhjan bowl for a bit and thought he was just trying to keep the run scoring to low as possible and not really tryign to take wickets. We must really question Harbhjan's role, is he there just to keep the runs down or take wickets.. i don't remember the last time he took 4 wickets in a ODI.
Mongia seem liked the only bowler who take wickets and he denied twice by BUCKNOR again.

R_D

International Debutant
Don't worry about SS... who only remebers the bad performance's and forgets about the good ones.