• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harder spin

cameeel

International Captain
Personally, I find off-spin harder to bat against, but the generally accepted view is that leg-spin is harder to play.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
myself hate a good offspinner, because if he is a good bowler, he will turn into you, and onto your wicket, you miss it, the chance is big, your gone.

leg spin will either make you edge it for four(or slip and out) or just miss it.
everyspinner that turns it into my legs I dislike :p

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I prefer leg spin myself. Generally, a leg spin ball pitching in line with off stump or so will not get me out, because I'm too crap to get the edge, and it'll miss the stumps. If an offie pitches a ball around off stump or so, there's more chance of it hitting the stumps. But yeah, generally leg spin is regarded as harder.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
For me it has to be Leg-Spin when I'm batting. With an Off-Break bowler, they tend to have less tricks and variations to look out for, and they turn the ball less, as a general rule. A good Leg-Spinner can cope on a flat wicket, but an Off-Break bowler can't, unless their Murali.

andmark

International Captain
People often say leg spin is harder.But i have never played against a spinner who can turn the ball.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Depends how good the bowler is. I've never found slow left armers a problem, though. They count as offies if you look at them in a mirror.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
andmark said:
People often say leg spin is harder.But i have never played against a spinner who can turn the ball.
You can't have played much cricket then. I can turn the ball, and I'm rubbish. I know 9 and 10 year olds who can turn the ball. Considerably more than I can for that matter...

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
You can't have played much cricket then. I can turn the ball, and I'm rubbish. I know 9 and 10 year olds who can turn the ball. Considerably more than I can for that matter...
Yeah, you see young leggies ripping it miles. Personally I prefer the off-spinner, but mainly because my only real shots against slow bowling are the sweep and the charge-and-time through mid-wicket. Leg-spin is a nightmare for me, particularly when there's no pace on the ball.

Dasa

I find leg-spin marginally more difficult to play as I tend to favour the leg-side.

The Baconator

Generally find leg-spin easier as I prefer to work the ball through the offside. Off-spin's better if you're going agricultural though.

open365

At the level i play at, off-spinners just don't turn the ball at all so it's just fodder.

I can't play quality leg-spin, i have a mate who used to be an amazing leg spinner and i couldn't last an over even though i'd faced him a million times.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Offspinners are harder to score against because they don't give as many loose balls as legspinners. But that's stating the obvious.

Left arm legspin - chinaman - is extremely difficult for me to play, because the ball seems to turn more. It's just an illusion, but I find it very difficult to read.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
I find it harder to face leg spinners, mainly because I am not that great off my legs and stronger through the offside.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Offspinners are harder to score against because they don't give as many loose balls as legspinners. But that's stating the obvious.
You've never seen me try to bowl off spin...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Turbinator said:
I find it harder to face leg spinners, mainly because I am not that great off my legs and stronger through the offside.
... but legspin goes from leg' to off'.

You SHOULD be playing through the offside to a legspinner.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
... but legspin goes from leg' to off'.

You SHOULD be playing through the offside to a legspinner.
See but not when it pitches wide of leg stump and hits the leg, it doesnt reach wide of offstump...like you know what I mean?

Cause in my interschool games, these guys don't really turn the ball a lot for it to reach wide of offstump.