• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kids cricket

andmark

International Captain
When children play cricket everyone wants to be the batter.In the future will bowling be like it is now because they will concentrate on batting.:(

steds

Hall of Fame Member
andmark said:
When children play cricket everyone wants to be the batter.
Not necessarily. I never cared about batting.

And I don't get what you're getting at in your post.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Congratulations to andmark as it only took him 36 days to make 26 threads (and only 5 of them have been closed) :ph34r:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
aussie tragic said:
Congratulations to andmark as it only took him 36 days to make 26 threads (and only 5 of them have been closed) :ph34r:
..................and only 3 have been in the right forum.

open365

International Vice-Captain
steds said:
Not necessarily. I never cared about batting.

And I don't get what you're getting at in your post.
Those who can, bowl. Those who can't, bowl leg spin.

Jungle Jumbo

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
And those who can't bowl legspin try to qualify for England.
And those who can't bowl legspin or try to qualify for England are generally called Alok Kapali.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I deal with kids cricket on a daily basis and its fair to say that the vast majority want to bowl.

From what I see everyone wants to bowl and work on their bowling. Its an area to help selection and even if you are a good batsman it is a way to keep involved in the game if you fail with the bat.

A lot of kids I coach when given the choice of batting or bowling in a game choose bowling. Its a guaranteed 4-5 overs and scoring runs doesnt give them the same excitement of taking wickets.

open365

^Really? What areas do you coach in?

In the areas i play in(Liverpool) and with the people i know, pretty much everyone is a batsman who bowls part time leg-spin so they don't get bored by fielding, i'm one of the only proper pace bowlers i know, and i'm trying to become a batsman instead.

Jungle Jumbo

Goughy said:
I deal with kids cricket on a daily basis and its fair to say that the vast majority want to bowl.

From what I see everyone wants to bowl and work on their bowling. Its an area to help selection and even if you are a good batsman it is a way to keep involved in the game if you fail with the bat.

A lot of kids I coach when given the choice of batting or bowling in a game choose bowling. Its a guaranteed 4-5 overs and scoring runs doesnt give them the same excitement of taking wickets.
You are spot on there Goughy - if you are a batsman and make a golden duck then your games up and you have to mooch around in the field, but if you're a bowler you might get smashed for six first ball yet still have four or five overs. Saying that, I always see scoring runs as a greater achievement than taking wickets: scoring a hundred sounds loads better than taking five wickets.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
open365 said:
^Really? What areas do you coach in?
Pretoria, South Africa.

We have quality bowlers (only young) and guys choose to bowl rather than bat.

We are far stronger than many of our opponents so I tell my best players (usually allrounders) that I will not let them do both as we will win the game easily and Id like to give others opportunities.

They virtually all choose to bowl in those situations. The only exception is my opening bowler who usually bats at 11. He is always desperate to get a bat. However, he is always worried that if he chooses to have a bat against the weaker teams he sacrifices bowling and it could be a short innings.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
On this topic of kids cricket, Im interested to ask a question.

How much time do school cricket teams in different places/countries dedicate to the game?

I work with and am affiliated to a number of schools but I will use the team I was talking about above as an example.

It is U'13 cricket. We practice as a team 3 times a week for 1.5 hours a session. The kids then usually do 1-2 hrs a week of individual private coaching a week.

We then play a 25-25 over midweek game and then a 5 hr time game on a Saturday.

I would say the boys put in around 15 hrs a week to school cricket.

magsi23

U19 Debutant
andmark said:
When children play cricket everyone wants to be the batter.In the future will bowling be like it is now because they will concentrate on batting.:(
andmark you are a good kid

Jungle Jumbo

Goughy said:
On this topic of kids cricket, Im interested to ask a question.

How much time do school cricket teams in different places/countries dedicate to the game?

I work with and am affiliated to a number of schools but I will use the team I was talking about above as an example.

It is U'13 cricket. We practice as a team 3 times a week for 1.5 hours a session. The kids then usually do 1-2 hrs a week of individual private coaching a week.

We then play a 25-25 over midweek game and then a 5 hr time game on a Saturday.

I would say the boys put in around 15 hrs a week to school cricket.
Wow. Outside of those practicing at sports colleges or boarding schools, I don't think any 13 year old (even those playing county representative level) play that much. The average U13s team over here would probably practice for 1.5hrs on a weeknight, then play a 20/25 over game some time else, either a midweek evening or a Sunday morning. Those who are lucky enough to attend private schools may net twice a week, with a midweek game and a Saturday morning fixture.

TBH that schedule isn't far off overkill with U13s Goughy. There is only so much interest most kids can sustain, and if you practice too much the quality of practice will decrease. At that age it can be unfair to make them practice so much, as they need to have other interests outside of cricket. With that sort of schedule, there is no room for any other sport.

I'm speaking from my experiences here in England however. It may be different in South Africa. But I'd have thought that very few local club sides in any sport play that volume of one sport.

open365

Jungle Jumbo said:
Wow. Outside of those practicing at sports colleges or boarding schools, I don't think any 13 year old (even those playing county representative level) play that much. The average U13s team over here would probably practice for 1.5hrs on a weeknight, then play a 20/25 over game some time else, either a midweek evening or a Sunday morning. Those who are lucky enough to attend private schools may net twice a week, with a midweek game and a Saturday morning fixture.

TBH that schedule isn't far off overkill with U13s Goughy. There is only so much interest most kids can sustain, and if you practice too much the quality of practice will decrease. At that age it can be unfair to make them practice so much, as they need to have other interests outside of cricket. With that sort of schedule, there is no room for any other sport.

I'm speaking from my experiences here in England however. It may be different in South Africa. But I'd have thought that very few local club sides in any sport play that volume of one sport.
Me and about 5 other people at my club play way more than that.

In the summer we just net(if its not raining) from whenever we get home from school till it gets dark, then we go play tennis for a bit. I must have played about 40-45 games last season, though only 3 for the U15s.

The U13s at my club practice once a week and have a 2020 every weekend and a knockout cup in the weekdays, they were pretty good last year so they probably played about 15 games last year.

That much organised practice seems immense, i don't think many club level age group sides would do as much work as tghat in England.