• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MARK WAUGH DROPPED!!!!!

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well there you go. The selectors bit the bullet and dropped him.

My take? I think it's grossly unfair considering his form in the Test series wasn't THAT bad. Other than the hundred, Steve Waugh's form was much worse. Plus I don't like the idea of changing a winning combination, especially a change of the magnitude of dropping a senior player.

As I've said on numerous occasions, I think Damien Martyn will now move up to number 4 and they'll slot Lehmann in at 6. With a change like this, it wouldn't surprise me if they then drop Brett Lee for Bichel, if Jason Gillespie doesn't play.

Thoughts?

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah... I was pretty disappointed with the decision.

However, I suppose when you ask the question: who's more likely to score a hundred in the First test.... then the answers Lehmann.

It's a tough road back now for Waugh - if he wants to get back, that is. My guess is that Junior will become another member of the Channel Nine Commentary Cult for this season - which will at least keep him in the picture a bit.

As for Lee being dropped if Gillespie doesn't play..... what the hell are you talking about Top Cat??? I'd say that if Gillespie IS fit, then Lee might be shown the door. Otherwise, it'll be McGrath, Lee, Bichel.

However, I have a sneaky suspicion that the selector's axe is bloody enough already...

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
FINALLY..... Steve will be next - but may retaire after the ashhes anyway - i was kindsa wishing tha clarke would get a go :(

Simon

I want to know why the selectors arent looking to the future, This was a perfect time to pick Michael Clarke. Lehmann deserves his spot but he is 32.

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
Told ya.

I said it would happen, but you all said bugger off.

Steve finally got his revenge...

As Mark came in for Steve for a debut, Steve gets rid of Mark.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
clarke is in great form and it would be a great intro to tests for him playing easy tests vs England :D

Top_Cat

Don't be ridiculous. Australia has NEVER made it a policy of picking a young raw batsman unless they either had to or they'd put some serious runs on the board.

Even having said that, the last time the Aussie selectors picked someone really young was Ricky Ponting and they picked him on the back of mountains of runs and three full seasons of first-class cricket. Before that, there was Damien Martyn and once again, he'd played three seasons of cricket for WA at that point. Before those two, there was Steve Waugh and I think everyone would agree, he was picked far too early after only few first-class matches.

Mike Clark will get his chance. But like everyone else, he'll have to pay his dues for his state for at least this season.

And I don't think ANYONE can surely diasgree that Darren Lehmann paid his dues almost ten years ago. Regardless of his age, it's his turn and you can bet he'll be trying his hardest to make the most of it. His age is irrelevant he's playing the best he's ever played.

As for Lee being dropped if Gillespie doesn't play..... what the hell are you talking about Top Cat??? I'd say that if Gillespie IS fit, then Lee might be shown the door. Otherwise, it'll be McGrath, Lee, Bichel.
Ah, you're right! Just a typo. I meant if Gillespie IS fit to play then Lee might be gone.

[Edited on 28/10/2002 by Top_Cat]

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I had a feeling this would happen. Mark wasn't performing badly but there are others that were performing better... I think Mark will retire very soon as I can't see him getting a look in again.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
And you're right Tamara, Mark Waugh just called it quits.

A sad way for him to bow out, but it was inevitable that the longer he tried to stay in the game the more pressure he would feel from the selectors trying to squeeze him out.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Thanx for the Memories Junior!!!
:D:D:D:D:D:D

We will miss u...
:(:(:(:(:(:(

Oh and that would be 10000 posts in the Cricket Chat Forum!!!!
:D:D:D:D:D

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
I have been a big fan of M Waugh for a long time, like so many others around the world. After Gower he took over the role of being the most stylish batsman around, and I think his stroke play is more stylish than Gower's, for Gwoer his stylish persona helped him.

Still I think this is the right time for Mark to give up. Aus needs to bring in the new blood, with more drive, and a longer career ahead of them.

Steve's presence on the other hand is still needed and especially in the ODI side, for the world cup.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I think this is really sad. Mark Waugh was a great player. When my coach told me to watch videos of players a few years ago, Mark was the guy that i was told to concentrate on for his batting. He will also be missed in the catching department

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Without Mark Waugh in the slips especially, Shane Warne is ok but he'll never be the catcher Waugh was.

It will be interesting because Australia take alot of catches in the slips and without Mark who took the majority and dropped very few they might lose a bit of strength in that department.

masterblaster

International Captain
Very sad to see Mark Waugh Go

Its very sad for me to see Mark Waugh go, he was such a good player, I loved watching him bat, was a great entertainer. Unfortunately he has officially retired as of now and thats sad news for cricketlovers worldwide.

anthonysw

U19 Cricketer
It is a sort of happy sad feeling for me. It is disappointing seeing a champion of the game probably never play another international test match but at the same time it is good to see Darren Leemann have another opportunity.

In an interview after the last test match Mark Waugh sounded like he knew what the result would be anyway. He would of loved to able to finish his Australian test career on home soil though.

Darren Lehmann definitely deserves the spot. He has been pretty hard done by in the past from selectors. Lets hope that he takes full advantage of the opportunity that has presented itself. Lets hope the selectors play him in all the test matches in Australia no matter what the results of the prior tests are. When prior opportunities have presented themselves he has been pretty unlucky and the selectors have not been lenient enough.

[Edited on 28/10/2002 by anthonysw]

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i agree with paid on this one :)

i think hat while he was a good player he has not been batingewell for the last year, and platers like lehman, Clarke, Hussey, Katich, Maher, Love etc should have got their chance

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
It is a sad day but life goes on. Let's hope Lehmann takes his chance this time. A tough but correct decision.

It will be interesting to see who fields at 2nd slip for the pace bowlers and 1st slip to Warne. A toss up between Martyn and Ponting.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
martyn. Ponting has point!!

however all the aussies are trained to field in all positions so i dont see it as a problem