• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Trescothick be dropped?????

Should trescothick be dropped?

• Yes

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • No

Votes: 40 62.5%
  • not sure

Votes: 6 9.4%

• Total voters

Nishant

International 12th Man
Trescothick seems to think that he can come in and out of the team when he wants! Is that really tyhe sort of attitude England need at the moment, especially when they aren't doing particulary well! IMO he should be dropped, even if it is for a few matches! In that way, he'll realise that the management are the real boss and not him!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Probably shouldn't be dropped, but make sure he knows his place isn't guaranteed.

I've lost respect for him lately. Test cricket and national representation should be an honour.

Last edited:

Slow Love™

International Captain
No. I think he's very much needed in the English lineup, and it's possible he has been suffering from depression or some fatique related condition. I guess if I found out later that it was just that he couldn't be arsed, I'd change my opinion.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Nishant said:
Trescothick seems to think that he can come in and out of the team when he wants!
Does he really?

So you obviously know more about his mental state than anyone except the English management and his close family then.

Care to share your knowledge?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
People don't know whats actually going on behind the scenes. It annoys me when people make judgements, when they don't know the real story.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Every time I go into Starbucks in town, I see Marcus Trescothick and a load of Somerset team mates in there.. Now I'm no expert on his "problems" but he doesn't look like a person with a load on his mind when he's having a laugh in there.. I reckon he should make way for Cook

Nishant

International 12th Man
marc71178 said:
Does he really?

So you obviously know more about his mental state than anyone except the English management and his close family then.

Care to share your knowledge?

A lot of people may have family issues! Im not saying that he's not upset or he's just looking 4 an excuse to take a break. Im saying that he can't take the pressure of international crciket. He's meant to be a proffesional....Mahendra Dhoni, for example, couldn't go back to his family for diwali, whilst all the his teammates did! How do you think he felt?? He must have been upset! All on his own in Dehli!

BUT,,,,unlike trescothick he didn't just decide to leave the team and hope that everyone understands. He continued practise instead and carried on playing! That's the dedication a proffestional cricketer is required to have! Trescothick needs to learn that!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nishant said:
A lot of people may have family issues! Im not saying that he's not upset or he's just looking 4 an excuse to take a break. Im saying that he can't take the pressure of international crciket. He's meant to be a proffesional....Mahendra Dhoni, for example, couldn't go back to his family for diwali, whilst all the his teammates did! How do you think he felt?? He must have been upset! All on his own in Dehli!

BUT,,,,unlike trescothick he didn't just decide to leave the team and hope that everyone understands. He continued practise instead and carried on playing! That's the dedication a proffestional cricketer is required to have! Trescothick needs to learn that!
You're oversimplifying the issue greatly.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
of course not, how can people even think that, yea he has skipped Indian tours this year for mental reasons or something, but he says he said thats over with and we should welcome him back since he's been England best consistent batsman since the last world cup.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No I don't think Trescothick should be dropped, not after the succesful partnership he has formed with Strauss at the top of the order, and we all know how vital he is to England's ODI side. I just think he needs a few stern words from someone within the management set up and so he can get himself back on track and hopefully bring up his first century against Australia in the Ashes.

adharcric

International Coach
No, he shouldn't necessarily be dropped. The team management should know his situation in detail by now and should work to get him back on track, assuming that he had valid reasons for leaving the team recently. If his absence from the team in any way represented a lack of commitment, he should be dropped and Cook should partner Strauss at the top. Then again, I think the Ashes mean a hell of a lot more than commitment to England so I doubt they'd hurt their chances of victory simply to discipline Tresco.