• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Trescothick be dropped?????

Should trescothick be dropped?

• Yes

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • No

Votes: 40 62.5%
  • not sure

Votes: 6 9.4%

• Total voters

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Langeveldt said:
Every time I go into Starbucks in town, I see Marcus Trescothick and a load of Somerset team mates in there.. Now I'm no expert on his "problems" but he doesn't look like a person with a load on his mind when he's having a laugh in there.. I reckon he should make way for Cook
If only it were that simple.

Depression isn't always shown on the outside.

Usually the most depressed people are those that you never would have guess are, because they try so hard for people not to see it.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mister Wright said:
If only it were that simple.

Depression isn't always shown on the outside.

Usually the most depressed people are those that you never would have guess are, because they try so hard for people not to see it.
Exactly, well summed up. Trescothick could well be suffering from depression, but that's only a wild guess. He could just need to harden up aswell, I'm no expert on the matter.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I have asked this question over recent months, but I'd possibly lean towards no. If there are problems, then they should be dealt with sympathetically, even if it does all seem somewhat odd. His performances against Pakistan were very poor though, so if he is to be dropped, it should be for form reasons only.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Nishant said:
A lot of people may have family issues! Im not saying that he's not upset or he's just looking 4 an excuse to take a break. Im saying that he can't take the pressure of international crciket. He's meant to be a proffesional....Mahendra Dhoni, for example, couldn't go back to his family for diwali, whilst all the his teammates did! How do you think he felt?? He must have been upset! All on his own in Dehli!

BUT,,,,unlike trescothick he didn't just decide to leave the team and hope that everyone understands. He continued practise instead and carried on playing! That's the dedication a proffestional cricketer is required to have! Trescothick needs to learn that!
So from 2000 through to this spring, when he was playing constant International cricket (did he ever miss a game through anything but injury? No he didn't), he couldn't take the pressure of it then?

Obviously something deeply distressing happened to him in India this spring, and nobody except a very few select people know what that was, and therefore only those people are qualified to comment on his professionalism - so I ask again what it is happened to him, since you seem perfectly happy to comment on it as if you're in the know.

My personal view is that whatever it was that happened is still playing on his mind, and the thought of going back to India worried him because it would reignite the same feelings.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
IMO give Trescothick the warm-up games for the First Test but tell him he MUST find form. He was an unsung hero in 2005(because of him and Strauss Warne had to come on at, say 80-0 instead of 80-2 which he would prefer) BUT, he's done nothing for us since the last SL ODI and we do have options - have Cook opening and go with Strauss, Cook, Bell, Pietersen, Collingwood and Flintoff. We do NOT need passengers in the Ashes and I hope if he doesn't score runs in the warm-up matches Fletcher is bold enough to do to him what he did to Thorpe.

magsi23

U19 Debutant
well i think he should be just to teach him a lesson, he almost pulled out of Pakistan tour, he did pulled out of India and later part of summer in England? is it a joke or some kind of circus? people come in and go whenever they want? playing for your country should be honour, if he has mental or whatever problems he should stay out until he is ready to come back rather than doing what he is doing right now.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Poker Boy said:
IMO give Trescothick the warm-up games for the First Test but tell him he MUST find form. He was an unsung hero in 2005(because of him and Strauss Warne had to come on at, say 80-0 instead of 80-2 which he would prefer) BUT, he's done nothing for us since the last SL ODI and we do have options - have Cook opening and go with Strauss, Cook, Bell, Pietersen, Collingwood and Flintoff. We do NOT need passengers in the Ashes and I hope if he doesn't score runs in the warm-up matches Fletcher is bold enough to do to him what he did to Thorpe.

What did he do to Thorpe?

tooextracool

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Every time I go into Starbucks in town, I see Marcus Trescothick and a load of Somerset team mates in there.. Now I'm no expert on his "problems" but he doesn't look like a person with a load on his mind when he's having a laugh in there.. I reckon he should make way for Cook
because clearly if you have a laugh it means that you dont have a weight on your mind? I dont know about you, but plenty of people go through stages of depression but that doesnt mean they dont laugh one bit during that period.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Poker Boy said:
What if neither he nor Cook score runs in the warmup matches?

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
NZTailender said:
Thorpe got dropped for the first Test of the last Ashes series - which split the country doe the middle (even after we won the Ashes a poll in the Wisden Cricketer showed 50% would have not dropped him - and that was with hindsight!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Open with Strauss and Cook because Cook got runs last summer - whereas Trescothick has done nothing for ages.(And was poor the last time we were in Australia).

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Cook is a certainity regardless of what happens. Cant drop someone whos never failed at the international level.

tooextracool

International Coach
Poker Boy said:
NZTailender said:
Thorpe got dropped for the first Test of the last Ashes series - which split the country doe the middle (even after we won the Ashes a poll in the Wisden Cricketer showed 50% would have not dropped him - and that was with hindsight!)
Yea with hindsight people tried to be smart by suggesting they would have had Thorpe for Bell. However only a fool would have dropped Bell at the start of the Ashes after the way he had performed before that. As usual it stemmed from the blunder on Englands part as Bell was the one that should have toured SA, not Collingwood.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
Yea with hindsight people tried to be smart by suggesting they would have had Thorpe for Bell. However only a fool would have dropped Bell at the start of the Ashes after the way he had performed before that. As usual it stemmed from the blunder on Englands part as Bell was the one that should have toured SA, not Collingwood.
Agreed - we wasted a place in SA on Colingwood just because he could bowl(he was picked as Flintoff's deputy!) You're right Bell did perform well pre-Ashes - but it was against Bangladesh. who wouldn't have. If he had been in SA he might have taken Butcher's place instead of Key and the selectors would have had more of an idea if he was ready for the Ashes(IMO he is now).

tooextracool

International Coach
Poker Boy said:
Agreed - we wasted a place in SA on Colingwood just because he could bowl(he was picked as Flintoff's deputy!) You're right Bell did perform well pre-Ashes - but it was against Bangladesh. who wouldn't have. If he had been in SA he might have taken Butcher's place instead of Key and the selectors would have had more of an idea if he was ready for the Ashes(IMO he is now).
You can only score against what your up against. Bell scored a 60 odd on debut against the WI, scored mountains of runs in domestic cricket at the start of that season and then scored cashed in against bangladesh. As such it would have been rather heart breaking for Bell himself if they had dropped him for Pietersen after hed done everything that was required off him.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
You can only score against what your up against. Bell scored a 60 odd on debut against the WI, scored mountains of runs in domestic cricket at the start of that season and then scored cashed in against bangladesh. As such it would have been rather heart breaking for Bell himself if they had dropped him for Pietersen after hed done everything that was required off him.
I agree with you - if he'd toured(and played Tests in) SA we wouldn't have got into this mess - because we'd have had some idea how he'd do against good opposistion.It has to be said pre-Ashes I wanted Thorpe and Bell to play NOT Pietersen because I didn't think his defensive technique was up to it. (how wrong I was!):laugh: And what you said about Bell applied to Thorpe - two unbeaten innings against Bangladesh, two vital knocks against SA and two centuries in 2004 summer when we were in trouble. PS - and the funny thing is -if poor Thorpe hadn't broke his finger Bell wouldn't have got his chance that summer..