• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greg scolds Players due to lack of Work Ethic!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
But you're saying he shouldn't have done it in front of the media, when a) they're always there, and b) it was likely a spur of the moment thing.

I only coach U10s, but even then when they're doing something stupid and irritating I've been prone of telling them off, even with their parents watching. Ideally I'd probably like to tell them off a little later without having to do it in front of their parents and whomever else, but when something just hits your mind its often necessary to let the players know they're doing wrong immediately, and that you won't stand for it.

Mind you, Chappell's case is 100 times tougher as the media are there rather than some inquisitive parents, and his issue is that his team isn't performing on the biggest stage of cricket, rather than a few 9 year olds are throwing around the cones I just spent ages layind down for the boundary.

Damn kids :mad:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Jono said:
But you're saying he shouldn't have done it in front of the media, when a) they're always there, and b) it was likely a spur of the moment thing.
Yes. The dressing room would have been the place in my opinion. Spur of the moment cannot be an argument defending it for me as a lot of people feel a lot of things spur of the moment. However, the wise thing is being proactive rather than reactive.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
But it doesn't have the same effect after the training Pratyush. The spur of the moment comment isn't really an excuse, its not like saying after a killing "Oh man I just did it in the spur of the moment", because the "then and there" is all too important when you're a coach. You've got to set an example and correct players immediately, especially if its more than just one or two.

If Chappell let the players slide and do what they were doing, then the rest of the training would have been like that. He showed them that what they were doing was unacceptable, and presumably they stopped it for the rest of the training before an important match. The fact that they lost that match is possibly further evidence that they were acting inappropriately.

One would hope they're doing the right thing ahead of tomorrow's game.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Pratyush said:
Yes. The dressing room would have been the place in my opinion. Spur of the moment cannot be an argument defending it for me as a lot of people feel a lot of things spur of the moment. However, the wise thing is being proactive rather than reactive.

I wish he'd grab Sehwag by the hair and question his manhood. I wonder how that would go over, cause in the US they called Parcells a hero for standing upto the multi-millionare prima-donnas who didn't want to work. Well maybe not the hair with Sehwag ;-).

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Jono said:
But it doesn't have the same effect after the training Pratyush. The spur of the moment comment isn't really an excuse, its not like saying after a killing "Oh man I just did it in the spur of the moment", because the "then and there" is all too important when you're a coach. You've got to set an example and correct players immediately, especially if its more than just one or two.

If Chappell let the players slide and do what they were doing, then the rest of the training would have been like that. He showed them that what they were doing was unacceptable, and presumably they stopped it for the rest of the training before an important match. The fact that they lost that match is possibly further evidence that they were acting inappropriately.

One would hope they're doing the right thing ahead of tomorrow's game.
That is a fair argument Jono. I still do firmly believe some things shouldn't go out of the team but see where you are coming from where this point is concerned as well.

Dravid

International Captain
silentstriker said:
I wish he'd grab Sehwag by the hair and question his manhood. I wonder how that would go over, cause in the US they called Parcells a hero for standing upto the multi-millionare prima-donnas who didn't want to work. Well maybe not the hair with Sehwag ;-).
Sehwag has hair?

Slow Love™

International Captain
silentstriker said:
Haha, yeah... By the look of things, he might have done it already.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
I think it's getting a bit ridiculous*, though.

I've been critical of Chappell in the past, and I think that some of his conduct around the whole Ganguly crisis was distinctly unprofessional. But what's the deal with this incident? I appreciate that if he raises his voice and the press pick it up, that they're going to write about it. Fair enough. But why does that make Chappell giving his players a roasting (like, I said, as all coaches will at some point, if not on a regular basis) unprofessional behaviour?

*did I say "getting"? :p
It is ridiculous, both the blow up in the media and Chappell's outburst. Had this been a about the game, the public dressing down would have been justified. But the guy was giving a public dressing down to the players on carrying mobile phones and standing with their hands in the pocket. It is childish and stupid. It has been a year since he took over and he is still not able to enforce a simple decipline plan about what is allowed and what is not during a practice session.

I

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
Haha, yeah... By the look of things, he might have done it already.
Considering the amount of Hair Loss Sehwag has had in last one year, I wont be surprised.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sanz said:
It is ridiculous, both the blow up in the media and Chappell's outburst. Had this been a about the game, the public dressing down would have been justified. But the guy was giving a public dressing down to the players on carrying mobile phones and standing with their hands in the pocket. It is childish and stupid. It has been a year since he took over and he is still not able to enforce a simple decipline plan about what is allowed and what is not during a practice session.

I
Don't you think Sanz it may have been just a build up. India may have come out after Diwali, a convincing win over England a little over-satisfied, and may just have been overly relaxed? Maybe he tried to just give them a kick up their backside as to say "Hey, far from over yet, gotta play a team that's had our number and standing around all satisfied with yourselves isn't going to get you a win?"

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
It may very well be, but you know my feelings about Chappell Ways. I am not going to give Chappell any benefit of the doubt.

Fusion

Global Moderator
silentstriker said:
Bill Parcells got into a players face, grabbed his facemask and questioned his manhood. And no one is complaining.

He even called one of his players a 'she' when speaking with the media, because he thought that the player was babying his injury.

If you can't take it, stay out of the team.
There was another Parcells incident where a player fainted after a hard practice in full pads. Parcell told his staff "when he wakes up, tell him I cut his &%$# off the team".

Being a tough coach has its advantages and disadvantages. Coaches like Bill Parcells have a "shelf life" because after some time, players stop responding to their methods. That's why Parcels (or a Jimmy Johnson) generally don't stay with a team for more than 5 years. One crucial ingrediant in players tolerating their "tough love" style of coaching is success. If a team is successful and winning, then the coach's method is applauded. Players can't mouth off (at least in the beginning years) because the team is winning. Greg has to be careful here. The Indian team has not achieved the sort of success to where he is beyond criticism and backlash. He's also not the most able coach when it comes to dealing with the press or the general public. Combine this with the fact that he hasn't really taken a team to the top via coaching, and IMO he's asking for trouble with his hard nosed approach. This is not to say that a coach shouldn't be tough. Far from it. I think players in the sub-continent specially need a tough approach. It just has to be handled in the proper way...and winning must come along with it.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Fusion said:
There was another Parcells incident where a player fainted after a hard practice in full pads. Parcell told his staff "when he wakes up, tell him I cut his &%$# off the team".

Being a tough coach has its advantages and disadvantages. Coaches like Bill Parcells have a "shelf life" because after some time, players stop responding to their methods. That's why Parcels (or a Jimmy Johnson) generally don't stay with a team for more than 5 years. One crucial ingrediant in players tolerating their "tough love" style of coaching is success. If a team is successful and winning, then the coach's method is applauded. Players can't mouth off (at least in the beginning years) because the team is winning. Greg has to be careful here. The Indian team has not achieved the sort of success to where he is beyond criticism and backlash. He's also not the most able coach when it comes to dealing with the press or the general public. Combine this with the fact that he hasn't really taken a team to the top via coaching, and IMO he's asking for trouble with his hard nosed approach. This is not to say that a coach shouldn't be tough. Far from it. I think players in the sub-continent specially need a tough approach. It just has to be handled in the proper way...and winning must come along with it.
Look at Cowher, he's been coaching for 15 years in the same place. I don't necessarily buy this 'shelf life' case. There is enough turnover in a team for there to be enough new faces every year and a team of five years ago usually looks nothing like the team of now, except for a few key positions.

adharcric

International Coach
This is a pretty small matter. Competely agree with SS and Jono's comments on the coach getting in the face of the players if they're not putting in enough commitment in practice. These guys are not fragile babies or oversensitive women going through an excessive hormonal period. They need to get their ****ing act together and start winning matches.