• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greg scolds Players due to lack of Work Ethic!

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Dravid said:
For a change I agree with Greg.

Finally!

silentstriker said:
Yuvraj said Gegg really helped him with his technique and was one of the reasons behind his success of last year.
So many compliments!

R_D said:
Greggy likes making the headlines one way or other.
What can I say, I'm a media whore!

Okay, I'll stop.

Last edited:

R_D

International Debutant
Pratyush said:
He did it in front of full glare of the media.
Yeah pretty unprofessional behaviour imho.
Greggy likes making the headlines one way or other.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pratyush said:
He did it in front of full glare of the media.
If it was that big of a deal Cricinfo would be covering it.

Why does he have to hide what he wants to say because there are annoying cameras there filming irrelevant stuff?

I don't want to get into a "I'm on Chappell's side vs. the rest" thing, because I'm not on his side, but in this case its just crap.

I reckon Sanz and all should just make an official "Bag G. Chappell thread" and be done with it instead of posting a crappy media report every week.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Jono said:

Why does he have to hide what he wants to say because there are annoying cameras there filming irrelevant stuff?
I don't know why CI didn't cover it but a lot of creditable Indian media did. DNA covered it and Indian Express covered it.

To answer your second question, there are some things which have to remain within the team as far as I am concerned.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
I reckon Sanz and all should just make an official "Bag G. Chappell thread" and be done with it instead of posting a crappy media report every week.
Look pal, I didn't start this thread. I didn't even know about this story untill I visited CW. I read the story and I gave my opinion, just like you did. If you dont like it too bad.

And Cricinfo did cover it, albiet in a different tone :-

http://www.icc-cricket.com/india/content/story/264677.html

Cosy in their comfort zones

The Verdict by Dileep Premachandran at Ahmedabad

October 26, 2006

On the eve of this game, one of India's many TV channels broke a story about Greg Chappell having harsh words for his wards before a practice session. In a country where analysis of sport on TV remains laughably slapstick, such things make news - a coach actually having a go at his players? Perish the thought! But after this shambles of a performance, some of those players should be profoundly grateful that they don't play for an Alex Ferguson or a Vince Lombardi. If that had been the case, cups and saucers or boots would surely have been thrown around the dressing room, with one or two repeat offenders banished into the frozen tundra forever.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Jono said:

I don't want to get into a "I'm on Chappell's side vs. the rest" thing, because I'm not on his side, but in this case its just crap.

Are you targetting me as well here. I mean if it's so crappy why'de so many people all of a sudden start posting on it with their varied comments. You seen quite interested in this news btw.

Plus I am with Chappell on this one.

R_D

International Debutant
Sanz said:
He has to justify that he is earning his salary.
Yeah it seems that way... I was all up for having Greg as coach but having my doubts now.
I don't want to put the entire blame on him but some of the things he has done have been pretty bad. All expeiments thing is good and all but in the end you have to reach the conclusion and state that no it ain't gona work. No point keep on repeating the same experiment in a hope it'll eventually work.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Actually there is no experimentation now, it is just rotating the same set of players without actually any planning and strategy. Not to forget as Rahul is pretty dumb as captain. India should look for someone who can lead not someone who keeps saying 'Processes are more important than result'.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I dont think Greg has been a great success as coach either, but honestly, if the media is gonna be around all the time, what else can he do? They record every practice session of this INdian team and for all we know, he may not even have planned this lecture or something. He would have just come out for a practice session, may be he saw someone on the cell or a couple of guys joking around, got angry and gave a bit of a telling off to the team. It is difficult to come out and say he is definitely in the wrong here.

Having said that, I do think his experimentation or "strategizing" as he calls it, has only resulted in the team going backwards. Earlier it used to be a surprise to see who was coming out at 3, it was a bit of a mystery. Now it is obvious it will be Pathan and it is obvious that he will fail more often than not at that number. It has become ridiculous really.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
honestbharani said:
I dont think Greg has been a great success as coach either, but honestly, if the media is gonna be around all the time, what else can he do? They record every practice session of this INdian team and for all we know, he may not even have planned this lecture or something. He would have just come out for a practice session, may be he saw someone on the cell or a couple of guys joking around, got angry and gave a bit of a telling off to the team. It is difficult to come out and say he is definitely in the wrong here.
He could have given a piece of his mind in the dressing room. It was obvious some thing like this would be reported and it isn't the media's fault they report some thing they find a story which they think can sell.

pasag

RTDAS
From what I've read, it was supposed to be a private session with the players but somehow the media picked it up with some sort of high-tech mic or whatever. So as has been said, every coach says the same stuff to his players and this is no different.

With respect to the headphone stuff, wasn't that his idea to introduce them to calm the players down, make them more relaxed? Abit unfair to then call them unprofessional because of it.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
pasag said:
From what I've read, it was supposed to be a private session with the players but somehow the media picked it up with some sort of high-tech mic or whatever.
From what I have heard, Chappell was pretty loud and was audible. Also, the antics were obviously visible and didn't require any mic.

Dravid

International Captain
Pratyush said:
From what I have heard, Chappell was pretty loud and was audible. Also, the antics were obviously visible and didn't require any mic.
From what I've seen and heard on TV of the actual recording on Aaj Tak yesterday, he wasn't that loud.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I still dont see what the big deal is. Are we that fragile emotionally? In the US, you see coaches getting into players faces all the time. Just the other day in football, Bill Parcells got into a players face, grabbed his facemask and questioned his manhood. And no one is complaining.

He even called one of his players a 'she' when speaking with the media, because he thought that the player was babying his injury.

If you can't take it, stay out of the team.

Last edited:

Dravid

International Captain
silentstriker said:
I still dont see what the big deal is. Are we that fragile emotionally? In the US, you see coaches getting into players faces all the time. Just the other day in football, Bill Parcells got into a players face, grabbed his facemask and questioned his manhood. And no one is complaining.

He even called one of his players a 'she' when speaking with the media, because he thought the players was babying his injury.

If you can't take it, stay out of the team.
Agree with you there. Coaches should be able to yell at their players and be tough. Whatever Greg did, I'm fine with it. It will only toughen the team up.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Dravid said:
From what I've seen and heard on TV of the actual recording on Aaj Tak yesterday, he wasn't that loud.
It is impossible to verify from where we both are sitting how loud he was. I guess we should end the given point on that note.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Pratyush said:
The problem here was Chappell made the remarks to the teams and enacted antics in front of the media and many of the comments were clearly audible to the media. Some people complained against the media for reporting it but they were not spying or any thing and if they get a news worthy report, they can't be blamed for reporting it. I thought it was very unprofessional of Chappell.
I think it's getting a bit ridiculous*, though.

I've been critical of Chappell in the past, and I think that some of his conduct around the whole Ganguly crisis was distinctly unprofessional. But what's the deal with this incident? I appreciate that if he raises his voice and the press pick it up, that they're going to write about it. Fair enough. But why does that make Chappell giving his players a roasting (like, I said, as all coaches will at some point, if not on a regular basis) unprofessional behaviour?

*did I say "getting"? :p